The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is This Border Patrol Equine T-Shirt Appropriate?

Click the link below to the article and the photos. The t-shirt is the yellow one. "Things that make you go 'hmmmm' ".

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2013/feb/25...cal-advantage/
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

I would not like to be the one caught by Borer Patrol Officers with that attitude. Unprofessional to say the least. Think of how the migrants feel,
    their lives and how desperate they must be.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

9 members found this post helpful.

For those unfamilar, it may seem much worse than it is if they don't understand that it's a take off on a common sign posted on highways in San Diego. I areas where illegals cross commonly, the sign shows the adults and child running on a yellow hazard sign. Even so, people are still struck by cars occassionally. My brother lived there for years and said there were places where it was scary to drive at night because of people jumping out in front of cars.

Personally, I think there is a lot of racism towards illegals in CA and AZ. I understand people are frustrated but there are better ways to deal with the situation.

I think we should target people who hire illegals. If you have to pay a very hefty fine for being caught using illegal labor, instead of just a slap on the hand, it will slow down. It makes me sick to think of the comditions in which many farm workers live (how about those Haitians in the sugar canefields here in Florida? ). The ones in CA andother western sates live without running water or toilet facilities. Crammed into shacks; they are worse than the way te Oakies lived during the Great Depression.

I also think we need to emulate the guest worker program that Canada and other countries use. Require the guests to return home for a certain length of time per year and have the employers arrange for transport. The employers can request the same good workers to return and we know who they are and that they are honestly here to work.

11 members found this post helpful.

Am I the only one that sees a giant ding dong trailing behind the horse?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBrooksFarm View Post
    Am I the only one that sees a giant ding dong trailing behind the horse?
    I love Ding Dongs. Oh wait Hostess went out of business didn't they
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    I love Ding Dongs. Oh wait Hostess went out of business didn't they
    l

Part of the Hostess Company was bought by a southwest Georgia company. Don't know if ding dongs were included. (That's one of the horse's hind legs isn't it? Not a ding dong at all.) The tee with the 1200 pounds of muscle might be fun & more appropriate to wear than the chasing people with a horse tee.

all I noticed at first was that the rider was so far up the horses neck.

Yeah, someone is unfamiliar with how a horse moves their legs at the gallop. Or else that horse has some serious stringhalt.

2 members found this post helpful.

That'll wad up the panties of the PC police!
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    For those unfamilar, it may seem much worse than it is if they don't understand that it's a take off on a common sign posted on highways in San Diego. I areas where illegals cross commonly, the sign shows the adults and child running on a yellow hazard sign. Even so, people are still struck by cars occassionally. My brother lived there for years and said there were places where it was scary to drive at night because of people jumping out in front of cars.
    The signs are gone now, just tall fences remain in the median.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

I knew what they were trying to show with that "leg" but all I could think of was geez thats a well hung pony! The artist must have been deprived of SOMETHING in their life.

Heheheheh... I think the shirts are funny. But then again, I see how it could be offensive.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mypaintwattie View Post
    The signs are gone now, just tall fences remain in the median.
    oh, the immigrants are no longer crossing at night?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    oh, the immigrants are no longer crossing at night?
    humm wrong term; the term should be illegal alien

a foreigner who has entered or resides in a country unlawfully or without the country's authorization.

a foreigner who enters the U.S. without an entry or immigrant visa, especially a person who crosses the border by avoiding inspection or who overstays the period of time allowed as a visitor, tourist, or businessperson

Regarding the tee shirt, very bad... poor taste, not a wise choice at all
    Last edited by clanter; Feb. 27, 2013 at 06:43 AM.

5 members found this post helpful.

Compared to some I've seen over the years these are pretty mild.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

"I also think we need to emulate the guest worker program that Canada and other countries use. Require the guests to return home for a certain length of time per year and have the employers arrange for transport. The employers can request the same good workers to return and we know who they are and that they are honestly here to work."

Wouldn't that be the equivalent of our "work visa"? In which case, we have such a program.

Another HUGE issue - perhaps the root cause of all the uproar - is that many Americans consider themselves far above such menial labor. I know one of my best friends had a barn in FL panhandle and tried in vain to find a HS student (or ANYONE) to clean stalls (6 stall barn, and horses were turned out as much as possible) for $10/hr. No takers. And there is a huge discrepancy in the attitude (pride in work). Another friend in OK hired a Mexican whose work ethic left her with her jaw on the floor. Above & beyond doesn't BEGIN to describe it.

We need to fix our broken attitudes before we'll ever get a handle on controlling the hiring of illegals.
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    Regarding the tee shirt, very bad... poor taste, not a wise choice at all
    The border patrol agents aren't wearing the t-shirts. The shirts are tucked in a glass case inside the border patrol office.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    I would not like to be the one caught by Borer Patrol Officers with that attitude. Think of how the migrants feel.
    They aren't "Migrants", they're criminals and thieves. They steal medical care, food, welfare, schooling for their children...and Americans are stuck paying for them and the crimes they commit. I hope the "illegals" feel scared to death and will stay home and make their own country a success.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ccoronios View Post
    "I also think we need to emulate the guest worker program that Canada and other countries use. ...is that many Americans consider themselves far above such menial labor.
    We used to have the Braceros program. Mexicans came to work in the US temporarily and then go home once the season was over. Then, they seemed to decide they didn't want to leave, brought their families and stayed. So much for that program.

It's BS that Americans won't due the labor needed. Go to a northern state...no blacks or hispanics...white people cleaning hotels, working at McDonalds and Walmart, working construction etc. The illegals are taking the jobs the black and white kids used to get as entry level future skilled jobs...e.g. welders, construction, electricians, plumbers etc...not any more...high unemployment, especially in inner-city black youth, construction won't hire them, hispanic crews only hiring other hispanics, they don't like blacks so they don't hire them.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    We used to have the Braceros program. Mexicans came to work in the US temporarily and then go home once the season was over. Then, they seemed to decide they didn't want to leave, brought their families and stayed. So much for that program.

It's BS that Americans won't due the labor needed. Go to a northern state...no blacks or hispanics...white people cleaning hotels, working at McDonalds and Walmart, working construction etc. The illegals are taking the jobs the black and white kids used to get as entry level future skilled jobs...e.g. welders, construction, electricians, plumbers etc...not any more...high unemployment, especially in inner-city black youth, construction won't hire them, hispanic crews only hiring other hispanics, they don't like blacks so they don't hire them.
    Nah, I worked the job in 'competition' with Hispanic workers...
    I can tell you the colleagues I had were nothing to write home about....half on probation, the other half dodging warrants....interesting moments when the Sheriff drove past the place....
    The Hispanic bunch...tuck your ears in, Buddy...they earned every penny they got.

Maybe now the white and black folks will get back to the dirty jobs, but I am not holding my breath.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.