The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Red face Hound puppies now with pictures post 8

Our hunt bred one of our hounds and she had a nice size litter of puppies. Ten puppies, 1 female and 9 males. Regretfully the female died after a week. Of course, we only hunt the girls. We have a new huntsman this year so she is thinking of changing that.

The hunt has a really great opportunity to do a weekend away hunt in DE on a really big farm and our hounds. I have been unable to hunt all season due to saddle issues- bummer. So I am not going.

The huntsman has momma and puppies in her house in the laundry room. But she is going to DE for the weekend. So I will have Momma and 9 boy puppies at my house from Thursday night to Sunday night. Yippee.

Puppies were 3 weeks on 2/25/13 so will be almost 4 weeks old.
    I am so excited to have puppies for the weekend. I promise lots of pictures.
    Although we did get an email after I agreed to puppy sit that puppies start talking at 4 am. Not so yippee. Oh well, it is only one weekend. I can catch up on sleep at work next week.
    Last edited by SonnysMom; Mar. 3, 2013 at 02:43 PM.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

1 members found this post helpful.

can't wait to see the puppy pics, love puppy pics
    hope your hunt has fun

Puppies are wonderful! Have fun and enjoy.

This thread is such a teaser!! Mentioning puppies and NO PICTURES!! And we have to WAIT until the weekend!#@***

Enjoy your puppy fun. I wish we had smell-o-vision for the puppy breath!

Puppies talking at 4 AM ARE very yippie! or yappy, or yowly... I'll wait for pics!

How come they only hunt the bitches?
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

Quote Originally Posted by FitToBeTied View Post
    We are a small hunt with a small pack. I think it was easier to have one sex and not have to worry about who is in heat, accidental breedings and keeping them separate in the kennels.

One time last year around Christmas neither the huntsman or the Master could hunt so one of the whips was huntsman for the day. We had no men out with us and all bitches hunting. Somebody made the comment that it was the estrogen hunt and somebody else replied it was the all b*tch hunt.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

2 members found this post helpful.

Puppy pictures. I have them set as public. Sorry for those of you that don't facebook. I will try to get them elsewhere too.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...6383062&type=1

They are in a big child's wading pool. One of them has gotten out of the low spot twice. The pool won't contain them much longer.
    Momma is Kerplunk. She has been a very good Momma. I just wish she would eat better. She is picky. She turned her nose up at freshly cooked ground beef.

Quote Originally Posted by FitToBeTied View Post

There are various theories on the subject of dogs vs bitches.

Some feel that an all bitch pack is more level, less inclined to over run at a check, change foxes, etc.

I don't subscribe to any of that because a good hound is a good hound is a good hound.

And a bad hound is a bad hound and you had better cull him....or her.

That said, when I think back over 65 years of owning hounds, the standouts have mostly been bitches.

I think the main reason to keep a preponderance of bitches is that if you have good bitches you can always find a good dog to breed them to. For that reason, when I owe another hunt a puppy or two, I almost always give them a dog puppy and keep the bitches for myself.

If one of the dogs I gave away turns out to be something special, I can always take a bitch to visit him.

On the other hand if all you have is good dogs, it is really hard to find someone who will give you a good bitch, although you can trade a breeding to your dog hound for a couple of puppies.

But that only gets a couple of pups, not a litter.

As for sorting dogs from bitches in the kennel, again I think that is nonsense unless the person accountable for looking after the kennel is totally incompetent.

I sort mine according to who gets along with who.

There are bitches that can't stand certain other bitches and dogs that can't stand certain other dogs, even though they are litter mates.

I sort them according to who gets along with who.

Remember than with an all bitch pack, in spring and fall you can have half your pack in season.

Oh man oh man you are going to be in big trouble once those puppies all figure out they can climb outta that pool. Been there done that...
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Oh man oh man you are going to be in big trouble once those puppies all figure out they can climb outta that pool. Been there done that...
    They go back to the huntsman today. When I just came into the room where the pool is there was one puppy out of the box snoozing on Momma's bed. If they were staying here it actually wouldn't be much of a problem. I would just move the computer to a different room and they could have free run of it. It is a 15 X 15 room with vinyl floor and woodwork is already ruined. It is already the dog room.

Nobody told me hound puppies sound like seagulls

They are adorable!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Way to cute! Don't think I would get much done with them around! lol

P.

Very cute! I had my fair share of golden retriever litters- walked out foxhound puppies when they were older and that's fun too.