The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

My friend sold a 10 yr gelding to a "perfect" home. The young woman who purchased him had ridden him at my friends home several times and all was great. Until he moved to the new farm. He hated it there and took it out on the poor young woman who purchased him. Friend refunded and brought him home and he promply went back to being his sweet, nice old self. Apparently HE thought that he already had the perfect home and had no reason to move!

8 members found this post helpful.

OP I understand that you can't miss work, but gol darn it, for everybody who read the OT thread about why to have and use credit, THIS is the time you whip out the VISA and get new tires and fill the tank. Pay for it in installments later.

I'm also thinking that having the horse gone by the weekend is a bit of a hollow threat, but maybe not, New Holland is in that area.
    Why oh why do people just lose their patience and decide it's time for the horse to go, like yesterday, and not work with you?

Jingling from KY.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

5 members found this post helpful.

OP-change the thread header to Need Temp home/Trailer Ride SE NY/PA area or something similar, or start another thread with a link to this one and the request for temp home or ride.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

1 members found this post helpful.

Bumping for the OP....hoping for an update!

I sold a horse a few months back, a nice but sensitive one. New owner had trouble doing basic things with her - she wouldn't load and was difficult for bridling and mounting, acted like a total greenie under saddle - and of course, buyer accused me of misrepresenting the horse. I'm glad to have her back, and don't plan on selling her again.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

I've had horses do this, and I'm the buyer! I don't think it's a case of misrepresentation in the least, but I do think *some* horses decide that they'd like to test a new person. They may not decide so right away, but they do make that decision.

I've also seen this behavior in horses when they switch habitats and routines, even in my own horses when they've switched feeds.

Sounds to me like a case of "We don't know how to manage this horse" or are unwilling to make the changes that need to happen in order to manage the horse well.

Go get her. Hopefully it turns out well!

2 members found this post helpful.

I've seen it happen both ways. I bought a really nice horse who was a terror for me. It was a shame because I really liked him but he decidedly did NOT like the change in his circumstances and behaved quite badly in his new home. When he hurt me enough to require surgery, I sent him back and he became a nice guy again.

And I saw a saint of an upper level gelding I had known for many years go to the "perfect" home that turned into a near disaster. In this case, the horse was fine at the new place at first but the new owners were ... not. I guess 17 hands look different at home than when trying a horse out? They were nice people just somewhat scared of this big teddy bear of a horse so they handled him like some child-eating, fire-breathing dragon. I think the poor horse was petrified and the whole situation quickly snowballed. It was really sad to watch, the horse was miserable, the owners were angry. Fortunately, the new owners, convinced that the horse had been misrepresented (he wasn't), were happy to send him back to his original owner and wash their hands of it. The horse is now back to his mellow, happy self again.

In each case, the cure was to revert the horse to the living arrangements were he was happy. I say go get your horse ASAP.

1. Check for ulcers.
    2. Check saddle fit.

I wouldn't be so quick to condemn the new owners. I'm currently going through the same issue. I offered to pay shipping if the owner would take the horse back, but they don't want the horse either. It's been three months with lots of money spent and no improvement.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Did you find a shipper? What is the pick up and destination point? It would help in providing referrals. Also, check U-Ship. I know a lot of the U Ships are more joe-blow types but if you are in a bind and check references, you might very well find a ride.

I had a friend who used uship twice and both times were lovely! The folks were prof and kept in touch constantly. Horses arrrived safe and well. Prices were unbelievably reasonable.

1 members found this post helpful.

Bumping to see if the OP found help...

I would refund their money minus shipping charges. On a side note, I sent a 13 yr old broodmare (that I had owned since she was 3) off for training a few years ago, she was an absolute doll at home - no problems at all. I started getting reports that she was running down barn workers, kicking her neighbors, being a general pita around the barn. I visited her the next day, and calmly informed her that even though I wasn't at this barn, she still would have to behave. I visited her everyday for a week - just to reinforce this thought - she started behaving. Sometimes, when we are the alpha with our horses and they leave us, they step up to take our role. If there is a void, they will fill it.

Quote Originally Posted by f4leggin View Post
    I would refund their money minus shipping charges.
    I disagree...they had the THREE months and then cry foul and won't answer questions about the horse's management, tack, etc? How do you know for sure they did not do something stupid to cause this? They probably injured her or fried her brain and now want out. It would be generous for the OP to take her back at her expense with no money changing hands to evaluate her and if she is able to be saved, re-sell and THEN give the buyers any money after expenses.

Update: I am getting tires on the truck tomorrow and headed to get the horse in a few days. I appreciate everyones generosity. I had some shippers lined up but it was not quick enough, no fault of the shippers. I will update with the horses condition once she is home and I can evaluate her.

3 members found this post helpful.

Good luck!
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Good luck OP! If you need ANYTHING do not hesitate to ask. I'm in NE Pa!! If you need a place for her for a night or two I have a stall although no turnout for a full sized horse. Just my goat and mini.

Horse is back home. Thank you everyone for your kindness and generous offers. Her ground manners are absolutely horrible since she left here. I can see they let her walk all over them, literally.

Glad you have your girl home. I bet she's relieved too. Couldn't have been much fun for her either. Keep us posted on how she comes around.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Yes keep us posted. I am glad she came back to you instead of other possiblities.
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

So glad you got the horse back.

We just went through a very sad similar situation - only in our community, the noob who had the horse didn't ask the former owner to take him back. She just had him euthanized, without telling anyone. I guess it could've been worse and she could've sent him to the sale for meat price - but still. The seller bred the horse and would've taken him back in a heartbeat.

This horse also had been allowed to run people over. Good luck with reforming her, and keep us posted on how things are going.
    I never rode a broke horse but then maybe I'm a sorry hand. - Ray Hunt

3 members found this post helpful.