The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

So glad she's home! Whew....
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

I wanted to post an update. Horse has been home now for a little bit. I rode her. Just hopped on and went. W-T-C, over small cross rail...absolute angel. Rode like the day she left. No bucks, no dangerous behavior. Nothing to think the horse should be killed. Just inexperienced owners with too much money. Trainers even rode the horse and had problems with bucking and leaping.

So horse stays here. I tell her she is a bad horse. I had to drive 15 hrs each way to pick her up just because she wanted to be home.

I am thinking this is not a pain issue, since no bucks were offered while I rode. Must be rider error. Maybe they were asking and taking too much and not giving any. Horse was frustrated and only way to react was to leap and buck.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by YesAnAlter View Post
    I wanted to post an update. Horse has been home now for a little bit. I rode her. Just hopped on and went. W-T-C, over small cross rail...absolute angel. Rode like the day she left. No bucks, no dangerous behavior. Nothing to think the horse should be killed. Just inexperienced owners with too much money. Trainers even rode the horse and had problems with bucking and leaping.

So horse stays here. I tell her she is a bad horse. I had to drive 15 hrs each way to pick her up just because she wanted to be home.

I am thinking this is not a pain issue, since no bucks were offered while I rode. Must be rider error. Maybe they were asking and taking too much and not giving any. Horse was frustrated and only way to react was to leap and buck.
    Years ago, I was given a green 4 yr old QH. I got her going WTC and jumping about 2'6". She never had ever tried to buck with me. When I was going on vacation, I asked one of the girls at the barn to ride her for me. Horse would buck like crazy with her. I couldn't see what she was doing, but when I got on, she was fine. Then I sold her when I was military and going TDY for 6 mo, and the girl that bought her had her buck with her, so they sent her to a trainer that adored her, and said she never bucked with her. They sent her back to owner, and she bucked her off on a trail so she broke her shoulder. They sold her to another lady, who later updated me that she LOVED her, and when she moved out of state took her with. She was shoowing her and doing really well with her.

I guess the point is, that not all horses get along with all riders. It doesn't even mean the rider is not good. Both people that bought my mare were both good riders. They weren't rough, clamping with legs, or doing anything I could detect. Yet I could get on, with the same tack they were using, right afterwards and not be able to make her buck.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'd be tempted to take a video and send them a link..

Glad for the good ending - it sounds like she just wasn't really happy
    with the new owners/location/trainer for whatever reason.

Mares can be fickle LOL

Great ending!

It does not necessarily rule out a pain response though. Maybe the saddle(s) that they used pinched and those that you use do not, etc.

Thanks for the update, OP. Glad she is home and nothing is wrong with her!

This is why my Daughters very talanted very pretty Paint is in my barn and she is in Europe. I would love to find a new kid for him he has a lot to teach. I know I could sell him to a show home but he isn't / wasn't thrilled about showing, then again he has had a 4 year vacation from it. Although I take him on the trail he isnt a trail horse, (kicked butt in trail in the show ring ) rough footing., mud or water crossings arent his thing. Id also love to sell my farm but I'm afraid the negoations would center more on if the horses could stay since they are so happy then the price of the farm.

This is sort of a reverse story. Years ago where a friend boarded (backyard) the owner had a QH she had owned for about ten years. Horse was in his teens, never any problems, well trained, showed when he was younger, owner was a lifetime horsewomen, excellent with horses. He had been a pasture pet for a couple of years, then one summer she loaned him for two months to a summer camp. She received glowing reviews about the horse, staff and kids loved him. He was *not* happy when he came back. He snapped at her when he got off the trailer and saw he was back home. Would pin his ears back and kick when anyone passed his stall. Snapped at me when I got too close. He was his normal self after about a week, but I guess he really liked the camp for some reason. All the attention from the kids and having a job? Who knows?

Interesting, isn't it? I rode a horse for sale last Monday - advertised as sensitive but easy. Owner had him going well, though he got fired up over fences. When I got on him I had pinned ears, sucked up neck, super tense ride.

The owner helped me work through it in about 5-10min, and it was all caused by quite different riding styles and my somewhat crude aids (in my defense I have lately been riding fairly basic kick-for-go type horses). Once I'd refined my aids to where he liked them, he was good - but I could see how things could escalate for this horse with the wrong rider.

Then next horse I rode was super straight forward kick-for-go and phenomenal over fences - guess who's getting a vet check today? Nothing wrong with Horse 1, just a difference in styles, and I'm sure I would have been fine with him - but I fell in love with Horse 2.