The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What is going rate for transporting a horse?

I need to transport a horse a considerable distance (~450 miles). What is the current going rate?

The rig is a 350 diesel and pulling a 4h with LQ trailer, if that factors in at all as far as the rate.

Need to cover expense of going there with horse and coming back without horse.

Quote Originally Posted by butiwantedapony View Post
    I need to transport a horse a considerable distance (~450 miles). What is the current going rate?

The rig is a 350 diesel and pulling a 4h with LQ trailer, if that factors in at all as far as the rate.

Need to cover expense of going there with horse and coming back without horse.
    What sort of commercial insurance do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    What sort of commercial insurance do you have?
    Why not just ask directly, "Hey, are you trying to haul someone else's horse for a fee when you are not a fully insured pro hauler? If so you should know there are some liability considerations you may want to think about."

Or were you thinking the conversation would go, "What sort of commercial insurance do you have?"
    And then the person would go, "Huh?"
    And then you would go, "GOTCHA!!! HAHAHA!"

Or does your answer DEPEND somehow on what kind of insurance they have?
    Like, I can't possibly answer your question unless I know whether you have Markel or Equisure, and what your care custody and control provisions are, and is your truck with Geico? Because if your truck is with Geico your gas will cost you $50 but if your truck is with Progessive gas jumps up to $65. Can you correctly predict my per mile cost if I tell you I have a '99 Dodge Ram 2500 hauling a two horse Arndt, insured for liability but not comprehensive with Progressive, and for care custody and control with Markel? How much would it cost me to haul 900 miles? If I drop Markel and just haul my own, oh my God what happens then???

Meanwhile, they could be trailering their own horse in a borrowed rig or this could be the first time they hauled with this particular set up, or they could be considering paying someone ELSE to do it for them in this rig and wondering what rate is fair. What exactly does their "commercial insurance" have to do with gas costs for any of those scenarios??

And as for answering the OP's question, which you were so busy playing "gotcha" about that you forgot to do, I would think $2.00 per mile would be a good starting point if someone else is doing it, roughly $1.00 if OP is just paying gas in the described rig.

7 members found this post helpful.

Uh, not sure why I needed to be attacked for no reason.

It will depend because that amount will factor into the rate (or should, if they're at least trying to break even) and may cover what language they need to phrase things in if it isn't their horse. It could also potentially effect things like tolls, and whether their truck needs to be marked with information when crossing state lines and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post

And as for answering the OP's question, which you were so busy playing "gotcha" about that you forgot to do, I would think $2.00 per mile would be a good starting point if someone else is doing it, roughly $1.00 if OP is just paying gas in the described rig.
    Seems like if you weren't so busy scolding me, you could have just posted that instead of many paragraphs, and directly answered the OP yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Uh, not sure why I needed to be attacked for no reason.

It will depend because that amount will factor into the rate (or should, if they're at least trying to break even) and may cover what language they need to phrase things in if it isn't their horse. It could also potentially effect things like tolls, and whether their truck needs to be marked with information when crossing state lines and what not.

Seems like if you weren't so busy scolding me, you could have just posted that instead of many paragraphs, and directly answered the OP yourself.
    The TYPE of commercial insurance affects these things?

Not on your life.

Why would you ask this question before even ascertaining whether they are hauling their own horse or someone else's, or having someone else haul a horse for them and figuring out what was fair? For all you know a friend has offered to road trip and pick up a new horse for them if they just pay gas and buy lunch, and they want to know in advance what the gas will likely run them.

The rate will vary, I don't think there is a "standard" rate per mile. For instance, I determined it would be less expensive to engage a hauler to haul my mule for a distance of 131 miles. I got three quotes:
    $200
    $225
    $300

Gas alone for me would have been about $80.00 (based on the current CA rate of $4.01 a gallon) Then I factored in my time which would be 5 hours round trip. I am happy with the hauler I chose, and am paying $225 which includes a bridge toll of $20.

I believe the $300 charge was someone who would be doing a haul similar to yours which is bringing a horse one way and coming back empty.

I hope this helps a bit!
    Last edited by jenm; Mar. 14, 2013 at 03:50 PM. Reason: added info
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

I just recently shipped my horse to a retirement farm approximately 425 miles away. I received 2 quotes - one for $1,050.00 for a stall and a half, and one for $795.00. The shipper that I contracted with had an associate who was on a return trip pick up my horse and bring him most of the way. Then he was transferred to a small van for the final portion of the trip (about an hour and a half). I was really happy with the way the trip was handled. The horse was picked up Saturday night and was at his new home shortly after noon on Sunday. Because they only had 2 other horses on the return trip, I was offered my choice of a box stall or a stall and a half for the same price ($795.)

This is my horse, not someone else's. Someone else is paying for her transport (she is fore sale, she is going on trial at another barn), prospective buyer is paying transport.

I am not a commercial hauler. I do not have commercial hauling insurance and have no intention of getting any such thing.

I simply need to know how much to charge for this.

Thanks for those of you who provided helpful replies, it definitely helps me figure it out!

I'm wondering if there is some kind of flat rate (back in the day I remember we always used to pay a per mile fee...something like $1/loaded mile kind of deal). Does this still exist at all?

I charge for hauling my own school horses to shows for clients at single horse is $1.99 mile. Two horses $1.50 per horse per mile. Three horses $1 per mile per horse.

When I was hauling, I charged per mile for the TRAILER. $3 per loaded mile divided by how many horses were on board, and $1 per mile for empty going there to pick up the horse and/or returning home (first 50 miles each way were free).

It was a 3 horse trailer, and I could easily move the dividers to make single or box stalls. I didn't charge more for the bigger stall because again, I charged for the trailer so it didn't matter to me how many horses were on it.