The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Voltaire saddle, or CWD?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Voltaire

32 46.38%
  • CWD

37 53.62%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    I would let my horse choose.
    ...perhaps, but that's based on the assumption that it'd just be routinely used on one horse. Which isn't the case for me.

So trying to learn from the experiences of others, is a big part of the decision, at least for me.
    A vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire.
    ~ImmortalSynn

I wanted to add just as an FYI for those that may be curious-- the billet covers appear to be reversable on the Voltaire (noticed this yesterday while cleaning it). One side is the fabric pattern that has a protective coating, and the underside is thicker calf leather like normal billet covers, with the Voltaire logo imprinted on it. I suppose you could reverse this if you wanted (or order it without).

On another note, I had a couple people from my barn ride in my saddle who were curious about it since my last post, and they are now ordering themselves one. It's pretty unique!
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalSynn View Post
    ...perhaps, but that's based on the assumption that it'd just be routinely used on one horse. Which isn't the case for me.

So trying to learn from the experiences of others, is a big part of the decision, at least for me.
    I have 1 CWD that fits most horses really well - ironically, the only one it doesn't fit that well at this point is my mare, so she has her own saddle that has custom cut-outs to accommodate her shoulders.

I had a used CWD that just didn't fit me very well, though it was a very nice saddle. Like another poster mentioned, I felt like I was on top of the saddle, not in it. Unlike other people, I did not have an issue with the pommel and found the seat to be very comfortable. It was the flaps that didn't work for me and my leg was shoved way out in front of me. I'm pretty long from hip to knee, so finding just the right saddle hasn't been easy. Every saddle I've owned has had a feature I loved, but also had one or more features that didn't work and never would. I sold it and got a Voltaire to try.

The Voltaire is the first saddle I've ever ridden in that I can wrap my legs around the horse. The seat is very comfortable and I love the buffalo leather. Voltaire's awesome customer service is just an added bonus. It took riding in it twice to know I didn't want to even try another saddle.

CWD. But that's just because I can't get past the blue & brown striped fabric that Voltaire puts on their saddles!

Quote Originally Posted by Satin Filly View Post
    CWD. But that's just because I can't get past the blue & brown striped fabric that Voltaire puts on their saddles!
    I see this comment all the time, and I decided not to go with voltaire, but you can order any of their saddles without the striped fabric.

Better feel and contact.

I have both... A CWD SE01 and the Voltaire Adelaide (dressage). I love both! My CWD is a 2005 model, but you would have to pry it out of my cold dead hands. Everyone at the barn loves it. My trainer is sponsored by Voltaire and ordered the Palm Beach in November, but it isn't ready yet. I am excited to try it. My Adelaide is lighter than my CWD, which is nice considering it's a dressage saddle (monoflap is probably the reason). Quality wise, I like the leather (buffalo/calf) on my CWD better.

Both are great brands and my reps have been great. Try them both and see what you love!

Just found out the saddle really isn't that late (2 weeks or so) and Voltaire is more than willing to compensate! Great company and customer service.
    Last edited by kbrethauer; Mar. 12, 2013 at 01:11 PM. Reason: date of saddle order wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    I have 1 CWD that fits most horses really well - ironically, the only one it doesn't fit that well at this point is my mare, so she has her own saddle that has custom cut-outs to accommodate her shoulders.
    Is this like County's Skidrow panels-- kinda, sorta, but with less flocking/foam down the front? If it's convenient, will you show me a picture? (I spent much of one gelding's career trying to work with his bulbous shoulders and a pretty-wide back. Saddle makers didn't seem to plan for his type.)
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Is this like County's Skidrow panels-- kinda, sorta, but with less flocking/foam down the front? If it's convenient, will you show me a picture? (I spent much of one gelding's career trying to work with his bulbous shoulders and a pretty-wide back. Saddle makers didn't seem to plan for his type.)
    I can send you a picture in about a week and a half when I get home for spring break, if that works! I don't have Nikki out at school with me this semester so I don't have access to that saddle right now. It sounds similar.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrethauer View Post
    My trainer is sponsored by Voltaire and ordered the Palm Beach in October, but it isn't ready yet.
    Even if she ordered at the end of October, doesn't 4 months seem like a really long time to wait for a saddle? I know a lot of these brands quote 16-18 weeks and that just seems like an excessively long time to me. Especially when that person is supposed to be advertising your brand...

When I was saddle shopping last year I tried both. I liked the CWD, but it just didn't fit my horse right. The Voltaire had nice leather and a comfortable seat but pitched me forward. I also didn't like the second skin feature, I just couldn't see it holding up well. I eventually settled on an Antares Hampton, it was a fraction of the custom saddle price and fit me and my mare like it was custom made for us.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

Delete... updated earlier post
    Last edited by kbrethauer; Mar. 12, 2013 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Updated earlier post

Thanks for the suggestions and personal insight everyone.

The decision has been made.... it's gonna be VOLTAIRE!!!
    ~ImmortalSynn

4 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for the suggestions and personal insight everyone.

The decision has been made.... it's gonna be VOLTAIRE!!!
    Welcome aboard

Member of both the Southern California and Michigan clique - currently residing in Grand Rapids, MI

You guys are stressing me out. I went through like 10 saddles to get into my custom CWD, and then the new trainer didn't like the fit and the rep was kind enough to sub out a demo that fit better. But now, you are making me think I should have a Voltaire. I haven't ridden in one, but have some pretty boots with a fancy top that I got at Thermal last year, and they have held up beautifully. I am naughty and don't like to ride in my half chaps because the boots are so much more comfortable.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Quote Originally Posted by anicolle View Post
    Im definitely a Voltaire girl. I feel like every CWD iv'e ridden in is HUGE and bulky. My Voltaire is basically a flat seat and fully custom to both my and my horse. I prefer the chocolate color as well.
    This times a thousand!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I've ridden in both a CWD and a Voltaire, and the CWD wins in my opinion. I felt more secure in the CWD. I felt like the Voltaire tipped me forward a lot (and the seat that saddle had was the deepest of the seats that Voltaire makes)...

Fun to see this thread revived.

Well, as stated, I finally made the choice to go with Voltaire, and certainly have NOT regretted it.

CWD makes a fine product, but I've been riding in one while waiting for my saddle, and not liking it, at all. Once I got in the Voltaire, there was no turning back. Very happy with the choice.
    ~ImmortalSynn

Fun to see this thread revived.

Well, as stated, I finally made the choice to go with Voltaire, and certainly have NOT regretted it.

CWD makes a fine product, but I've been riding in one while waiting for my saddle, and not liking it, at all. Once I got in the Voltaire, there was no turning back. Very happy with the choice.
    And doesn't it feel good to know that Beezie was in the same saddle the day before yesterday as she won the World Cup