The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct. 9, 2012
    Location
    The midwest? I'm lost.
    Posts
    56

    Default Finding my perfect trailer

    I'm just about ready to jump into the land of trailer ownership - I can almost taste the freedom!

    FWIW, I have driven and rode along with friends in various rigs, in varying conditions, so I am pretty confident in what suits my/my horses needs. I've read through lots of threads on COTH, done all sorts of googling, and I've narrowed down our requirements:

    - bumper pull
    - 2 horse
    - open/stock
    - straight load
    - step up

    I'd also be over the moon with a a separate dressing room/tack storage area, even if it's tiny. Not a necessity, but a girl can dream.

    My problem is that I've found many bp straight load stock trailers... but they all have ramps. Is my perfect trailer out there?



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun. 23, 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,744

    Default

    Both Featherlite and Twi-light make a 2H BP stock that's a step up. I liked the Twi-light best when I looked at it. I'm sure there are others out there, as different parts of the country tend to have a different selection of trailer brands.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct. 9, 2012
    Location
    The midwest? I'm lost.
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Hinderella - thanks, I'll definitely look into those brands.

    Also, suddenly refreshing my search on Horse Trailer World this evening as opposed to last night has turned up a ton of straight load results. Apparently I was looking at the wrong time.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar. 16, 2003
    Location
    Wet and Windy Washington
    Posts
    3,832

    Default

    I'm in the PNW and almost everything is a step up here, very few ramps so I know they're out there!

    I assume you're looking on CL some too?
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    18,519

    Default

    Be definition, a stock trailer is not a straight load and a straight load is not a stock trailer. Which do you want--a stock trailer, which is an open box on wheels, without any inside partitions (for the size you want); or a straight load, which has a partition between two horses?

    Two horse step up stock trailers are everywhere. You'll likely have a hard time finding one with a dressing room.

    Two horse step up straight loads are also everywhere, but most of them are tiny. You'll have a bit of a harder time finding one that's really big enough for today's horses.

    Here is a two horse stock trailer.

    Here is one of the old, small straight loads I see for sale everywhere.

    Here is a harder to find more modern straight load.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep. 23, 2012
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    49

    Default

    There's a pretty good Facebook group too...if you're on it. Used Horse Trailers and Accessories for Sale.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun. 25, 2001
    Posts
    2,545

    Default

    Simkie covered what I was going to type Personally, I like slant loads that I can use open (removable divider).
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct. 9, 2012
    Location
    The midwest? I'm lost.
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Be definition, a stock trailer is not a straight load and a straight load is not a stock trailer. Which do you want--a stock trailer, which is an open box on wheels, without any inside partitions (for the size you want); or a straight load, which has a partition between two horses?

    Two horse step up stock trailers are everywhere. You'll likely have a hard time finding one with a dressing room.

    Two horse step up straight loads are also everywhere, but most of them are tiny. You'll have a bit of a harder time finding one that's really big enough for today's horses.

    Here is a two horse stock trailer.

    Here is one of the old, small straight loads I see for sale everywhere.

    Here is a harder to find more modern straight load.
    Okay, thank you for clarifying on the terms. I used a professional shipper to move barns once that I guess used a converted or custom stock trailer? It definitely had a partition, like the inside of the modern straight load you used as an example, but otherwise looked exactly like a stock trailer. It didn't exactly have a dressing room that a real person could fit into, but it definitely had a little room in the front for tack storage, etc.

    I wish I had a picture of the rig.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct. 9, 2012
    Location
    The midwest? I'm lost.
    Posts
    56

    Default AHA!

    Here is what the other one looked like, except there was a tiny little 2'x2' locker off the front for storage.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    18,519

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TraceAndM View Post
    Here is what the other one looked like, except there was a tiny little 2'x2' locker off the front for storage.
    Interesting. Haven't ever seen something like that before.

    Accessing the horse's head in something like that would be a royal pain in the ass and gymnastics move, I imagine, at least on the side without the door. If you choose to go with a trailer like this, I'd highly recommend finding one with a door on both sides. Or I suppose you could just plan on hauling with the horse untied.

    Resale for a straight load with stock sides (which is what I would call this trailer) is also going to be tiny.

    Is there any particular reason this is what you want? I'd encourage you to go with a standard straight load instead, for ease of access and resale opportunities.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep. 20, 2000
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    635

    Default

    Around my area, those trailers are called a Stock combo and are pretty popular. It just allows you to have different configurations depending on what you are hauling, livestock or horses and easily configurable with easily removed dividers. They come in slant and straight load with the open sides. They are generally cheaper than regular 2 horse straight load.

    if you google stock combo you'll see the millions of combinations they come in, made by all the major manufacturers like Featherlite, 4 star, and a bunch of others. They have a big range in price and options (like living quarters !!)



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct. 9, 2012
    Location
    The midwest? I'm lost.
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Interesting. Haven't ever seen something like that before.

    Accessing the horse's head in something like that would be a royal pain in the ass and gymnastics move, I imagine, at least on the side without the door. If you choose to go with a trailer like this, I'd highly recommend finding one with a door on both sides. Or I suppose you could just plan on hauling with the horse untied.

    Resale for a straight load with stock sides (which is what I would call this trailer) is also going to be tiny.

    Is there any particular reason this is what you want? I'd encourage you to go with a standard straight load instead, for ease of access and resale opportunities.
    Yes, on the version that I saw, I he had a door on both sides. I'm beginning to think more and more that this may have been a custom deal.

    Most of the horses I've owned seem to always come of "fresher" from stock trailers. They like the air, I guess. Mine don't care if they have to touch another horse in a stock trailer, but I liked the idea of a straight load if I'm hauling someone else's horse who would prefer the divider.

    Resale is NOT something I had given a thought to - and I really appreciate you mentioning it. Sort of a "duh" moment for me. I will definitely be reconsidering a standard straight load. Those I have seen much more frequently with a dressing room.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct. 9, 2012
    Location
    The midwest? I'm lost.
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rocky213 View Post
    Around my area, those trailers are called a Stock combo and are pretty popular.
    God bless you! A stock combo! Okay. Now I am armed with the correct googling terms. I find it very interesting what's popular/common varies so greatly by area.

    Quote Originally Posted by rocky213 View Post
    if you google stock combo you'll see the millions of combinations they come in, made by all the major manufacturers like Featherlite, 4 star, and a bunch of others. They have a big range in price and options (like living quarters !!)
    Living quarters!!! That's a big step up for someone who was dreaming of a tiny box to stash a few pieces of tack.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun. 22, 2006
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,826

    Default

    Get a stock combo. I love mine, and my horses do to! Mine is a Turnbow Trailer....and I LOVE the big dressing room with the gooseneck area being our sleeping quarters. We camp out of it all the time.

    Horses do love the open airyness of a stock or stock combo. I think they also like balancing sideways a little (and facing backwards has been studied to be the preferred/best balance for the horse, even when loaded from the front/side)

    My next dream upgrade trailer will be a reverse load stock combo.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar. 5, 2003
    Location
    Wake Forest, NC
    Posts
    639

    Default

    Gore makes a stock combo. They are very well-made.

    http://www.goretrailers.com/trailer5.htm



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar. 1, 2013
    Location
    PHX, AZ
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Check out Logan trailers stockman combo model. They come in both BP & GN, in a variety of lenths. You can add a slant package for 2+ stalls. No rust, galvanized steel is covered EVERYWHERE with vortex rubber coating. Hope this helps,



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun. 22, 2006
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,826

    Default

    OMG, the Logan Stockman Combo sounds like my dream trailer (in the gooseneck version) Thanks for sharing!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**



Similar Threads

  1. Need help in finding right size trailer!
    By Katyusha in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Jul. 15, 2012, 12:18 AM
  2. Finding the perfect saddle...
    By SunsAfire in forum Dressage
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: Nov. 10, 2010, 08:52 PM
  3. Trailer Incident with Perfect Pony
    By KatherineC in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Jul. 21, 2010, 06:29 PM
  4. Finding that perfect trainer/instructor...
    By SuperEventer in forum Eventing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jul. 21, 2009, 07:05 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jun. 19, 2009, 05:55 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness