The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have 3. One dressage, one jump with a 'regular' tree and one jump with a wide tree. Both jump have pretty sucky leather that has broken down pretty quickly. They are fine on the horses. But leather just kind of melts.

Dressage saddle is holding up better.

I bought an older model around 6 years ago... The leather was gorgeous and the saddle served me very well until I outgrew it. Like others said, I would never buy one unseen because the leather on the newer saddles is pretty chintzy.

ETA: No matter how old, the HDR Advantages should not be approached with a 10' pole...
    a horseless canuck...

For that price point, buy a Dover saddle instead.

Every one that I've ever seen/used has done no favors for the person riding. Very uncomfortable to ride in.

Since I "crossed over" from dressage, I didn't want to spend thousands of $s on a saddle until I knew I was going to stick with hunter shows. I have a HDR Rivella and like it. It is comfy and is holding up fine. Although it is only 6 months old and I only ride in it 2x per week (I still ride in my dressage saddle most of the time when I flat.)
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

i bought a hdr close contact(de rivel) in 2004 for under 1k as a package deal.it is defenitely better then my 100 dollar beginner saddles that i started out with. hdr are comfy saddle in some respects,but im also with the "it puts me in a chair seat group". one thing i also like about it, is that it also fits alot of horses i have put it on,there has only been a couple i have come across that it hasn't.
    this is the only saddle i have right now. i cant afford the 2k-5k saddles that are better in quality,but as far as a good saddle at under 1k it is fair saddle to get..but as you see by other comment between hate it to like it,its all about fit to(horse and rider) and preference.

I have one that is about 10 years old and I prefer it over any saddle under $3k. It's a model that they don't make anymore but at the time it was one of the few saddles priced at $1k new that had semi-custom options like putting on an extra long and extra forward flap. It still doesn't fit me quite like a custom but it is incredibly comfortable. The seat and knee pads are nice calf skin but the full grain leather flap is so-so. The new ones are pretty much on par with the other brands in that price range.

I rode in one as a lesson kid, my trainer got it used (from my current trainer) and about everone in the lesson program used it. that was most likely 7 years ago and the saddle is still going strong.
    some are nice some aren't
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog