The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default HDR Saddles?

What's the general opinion on those? Are they decent quality? Love? Hate? Avoid at all costs?

Avoid at all costs.

3 members found this post helpful.

There are different lines. The cheaper ones are horrid. The Derivel or however that is spelled are pretty nice for the price. Like the M. Toulouse quality.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

They are a long way from being high-end saddles, but they are serviceable if you're not too fussy.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have an HDR Pro Show Jumping saddle I bought 7 or 8 years ago. It's held up great! I do take good care of it (kept in a tack closet, away from dust/etc., on a good stand, always has the cover on when not in use, cleaned and oiled pretty regularly...), but I have to say that for the price, I feel it was a great buy because it has really stood up well.

My only complaint is that it wants to put me in a chair seat, but that just means I'm not built right to ride in it. It'll fit some people and not others, just like any saddle. It is for that reason alone that I'm thinking I may end up selling it soon and getting one that fits me better (it fits my gelding great).

Long story short, I think it's definitely worth the relatively small price tag and it'll last if you take care of it. Just test ride in it first if you can to be sure it fits you and your horse properly.

I'm of the "avoid at all costs" school. They look okay, but just not good quality. Spend the same money and get something higer-end but used. Or more used.
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

I got DD one (pony maybe?) when she needed a 15" and I couldn't find anything else. It was awful. Leather never softened up at all, she fought a chair seat in it as well. I have also noticed that they seem to have slightly wider or thicker billets than many other saddles, so girthing up can be tough. I wouldn't look at one again unless it was VERY cheap.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick299 View Post
    Avoid at all costs.
    What she said.

My HDR was serviceable while I owned it. It fit a variety of horses, which was nice, but it didn't really fit me and I was never too attached to it. I found a really well priced Crosby after owning the HDR for close to two years and sold the HDR for something like $350 just to get it out of my life. I think I had originally purchased it for $800-$900... In hindsight, definitely not worth the money.

I have an HDR close contact. Its sooooo very comfy. It was my second saddle and I feel a very good spend. I have it now as my 'guest saddle' for when people come to ride with me. It is of course not going to be a CWD or an Antares, but for a low priced saddle, I think you are getting good bang for your buck. The leather is not horrid. It's not fine calfskin either.

I would stay far far away from the HDR Advantage saddles.

I have one that I like very much. I did get it for $600 new so that was a good price. It fits many of my horses well so is nice in that manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Luseride View Post
    I have one that I like very much. I did get it for $600 new so that was a good price. It fits many of my horses well so is nice in that manner.
    Just about the same for me. I don't put mine through a lot of strenuous riding and I know it's not as good as a CWD or Childeric but I do like it a lot. It fits everything and it actually puts me in a great position. Plus, it's still in just about new condition after owning for more than 5 years. I think people who haven't owned one underestimate them.

I bought a slightly used one for pretty cheap. I love it! Not sure which type, but it's cc. Keeps me in a good position, stands up to regular riding, fits all the catch rides well enough, and good quality for the price. Had a collegiate before that and only gave it up because I grew out of it. I wouldn't say the leather is soft, but it's not like riding on a rock.

I had one. It was ok. Not the most comfortable thing in the world but it isn't bad for the price you can get them.

I just saw one that a client had, that was super nice. Needless to say, we couldn't find which model it was. Most of them are awful. It's not a brand that you can buy unseen off ebay, but if you find one in a tack store and it fits, and fits you, there's no reason you shouldn't buy it at the right price.

I just saw the HDR Rivella Signature saddle at the PA Horse Expo and fell in love

Was considering it for my new horse, one of their highest end models with covered flaps. Similar to the M. Toulouse Premia. Does anyone have experience with this model or opinions?

http://www.statelinetack.com/item/hd...addle/E000993/

I had a Devrel Classic that felt an awful lot like a Luc Childeric for 1/4 the price. Really nice saddle, actually. If it had fit more horses I would have kept it.

A girl that leased my horse a few years ago had one, and I thought it was pretty decent for a lower end brand. It fit my horse nicely.

And it was way better than the similar Dover brand another leaser was riding in!

I owned one several years ago. I think I paid about $900. I forget which model but it was one of the close contact ones. I liked the design and it fit me well but the "french" leather they used never got that broken in feeling no matter what I did to it and the die wore off in a few areas. I had a girth too which I would not recommend as the leather was not good quality. I never got used to the plasticky feel of both the saddle and girth.

In retrospect I could have gotten a better quality used saddle for about the same price.

Had a used one for a short time. The horse liked it and it fit well. It was the most uncomfortable saddle I've ever ridden in.