The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

You didn't ask, but it astounds people that we don't have cable or satellite. 'We have an old fashioned antennae that picks up a couple of PBS stations and one or two network channels, on a good day.

Whenever we go on vacation, the hotel TV confirms that were not missing anything.

3 members found this post helpful.

We still have both. Cell coverage is iffy enough in good weather. In bad weather, its the first thing to go.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Well it looks like I'm on the right track by keeping it. It just sucks to pay that bill for basically nothing other than emergency backup and for a number for telemarketers to call. But I think it's too scary to rely on just cell service alone.

microbovine-- we are the same way. People can't fathom not having cable or satellite TV. When asked if we have cable and we reply "no" they go "oh, so you have satellite then?" Umm... no... we have local channels and an antenna. We're outside so much when the weather is good that we really only watch a significant amount of TV in the winter, so it's just not worth it to us. And yes, when you go on vacation and have cable in your room, you realize it's definitely not worth it! I was paying close to $100/month for cable when I lived in town... what a waste!

One more person who keeps the landline. When the derecho took out the power for 5 days, the phone still worked (we have a generator). The cell phones were out for 4 days - I assume because the towers went in the storm. The same thing happened during an ice storm in 2008.

Additionally, I absolutely HATE taking a conference call on my cell.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

KPF -- to avoid telemarketer calls I leave my landline unplugged. I could plug it in in a moment if we had an emergency, but it reduces the dinnertime interruptions as no one uses our landline for calling us.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by KPF View Post
    Well it looks like I'm on the right track by keeping it. It just sucks to pay that bill for basically nothing other than emergency backup and for a number for telemarketers to call. But I think it's too scary to rely on just cell service alone.

microbovine-- we are the same way. People can't fathom not having cable or satellite TV. When asked if we have cable and we reply "no" they go "oh, so you have satellite then?" Umm... no... we have local channels and an antenna. We're outside so much when the weather is good that we really only watch a significant amount of TV in the winter, so it's just not worth it to us. And yes, when you go on vacation and have cable in your room, you realize it's definitely not worth it! I was paying close to $100/month for cable when I lived in town... what a waste!
    Dont know who you have your phone service with but I called verizon and told them I just needed a dial tone - no long distance or bells and whistles. With a package deal I pay $15 for the landline, $40 for directtv, and another $15 for dsl.

I would love to get rid of the directtv because I feel like $40 is too much when all we seem to get is a bunch of infomercials but we can't get any local service, unless I leave DH up on the roof to walk around holding an antenna!

Verizon has a gizmo (box) that's about $20/month - unlimited US (HI & AK included). We have it - it's great. Wireless Home Phone Connect.

Try it - you'll like it! :-)
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

I have Cell service and a phone line through the cable system. Get internet access (fast) and unlimited phone calls from Time Warner. Funny thing.. I don't get TV through the cable. Don't see paying for something I can get from an antenna.

I wonder if the cable system will work in a power outage. I have genset for the house to power the modem & phone. Anybody know?

I will not part with my land line because if you call 911 and they answer and you cant speak , like if your choking or have an intruder they send someone to your address to make sure everything is ok. Your address pops up on a screen when you call them so they know where you are calling from. I know this cause DH is a 911 dispatcher.

Newer cells have GPS, so if you call 911 on them they can pretty much pinpoint where you are. But yeah, I'd rather use my landline for a 911 call.

Oh, and as far as those Wireless Connect boxes, they're not available in every area. I can't get one based on my home zip code.
    Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

Thats great if GPS works in you area. Where we live our address does not work in GPS units. Everytime someone tries to GPS our residence they end up in NY, and we live in PA. We tell them and they dont believe us, apparently they think their GPS unit is gonna work better than the last guys.
    Call me parnoid, but I want them having my exact correct address if I need emergency sevices.

Someone apparently called 911 from a cell somewhere near me a couple of weeks ago, because the sheriff came around knocking on doors to try to find someone who had called and then lost the connection. The only clue we had was that the person was speaking spanish, and all I could tell him was that it was no one in my household, and that none of our adjacent neighbors had anyone who was a native spanish speaker, probably female.

Thus, I think relying on GPS for your 911 is probably not all that useful in practice.

I still think about that and hope that lady was OK, whoever she was, and that it was a false alarm.

I have a landline, and you can pry my POTS (plain old telephone service) from my cold, dead hands. It doesn't drop packets, it doesn't hang up until I tell it to, and it works when the power is out.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I hardly ever use my landline. I should probably cancel. But right now we have a verizon package (TV, phone, internet) so I am under contract. Plus it would be hard to give up my prestigious 347 exchange code .
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by KPF View Post
    Well it looks like I'm on the right track by keeping it. It just sucks to pay that bill for basically nothing other than emergency backup and for a number for telemarketers to call. But I think it's too scary to rely on just cell service alone...
    ...until you finally get up the nerve to dump the expensive landline, like you would a useless bum of an expensive beer swilling couch potato commercial surfing boyfriend, and then wonder why it took you so long to do it. You would love the freedom, the ability to block callers, and the extra cash in your pocket by going cell only.

We live out in the boonies. It took a long time for the cell service to be reliable enough, but the second it did (about 5 years ago), I told DH "Land Line Freedom Day" has arrived, and gleefully cancelled that cash sucking cordless phone system. DH went into shock for a week or so, then discovered that 1.) the world wasn't coming to an end...and 2.) having all your calls come to your cell could be advantageous. As for me...well, I've been smiling ever since I waved Verizon buh-bye. Granted, in the early days of LL Freedom I'd often have to chat on my cell outside the house because of reception, but the cell service has gotten stronger and more abundant each year. Now I just slip on my bluetooth and chat away in the house while my cell sits quietly off to the side on the kitchen table, or bedroom table, seamlessly connecting to the cell towers miles away.

We also have no cable. It hasn't made it out into our paradise of horse country. We have OTA (over the air antenna), and have a wealth of channels it picks up, all in high definition digital that are stunning on our HDTV.

Power outtages - not a problem. We have a generator. The TV just plugs in and we get our channels (since our reception is free OTA). All the devices that need to be charged are plugged into a power strip that is plugged into the generator. While other important things are being powered (lights, fridge, TV, etc), the chargers are quietly stealing a bit of power for themselves. I also have portable solar panels for charging as well.

BTW - I've used my cell at least 3 times in the past 2 years for 911 calls - all while I was out hacking and noticed something (downed power lines, leaking gas pipelines, car accident) that needed emergency personnel attention immediately. I always blessed I had my cell on me, and the responders were always thankful I took the time to call them.
    Last edited by pdq; Feb. 27, 2013 at 08:08 PM. Reason: lousy spelling corrected

2 members found this post helpful.

We keep the land line because cell service is shaky on a good day. We do have satellite internet and TV. Without the satellite stuff we 'd still be on dial-up internet and absolutely no TV reception.
    People often confuse ideology with knowledge and thoughtful reasoning.

I live in N.WI where death is more likely than making the 'Golden hour'. I haven't had a land line for 2 years. Don't miss it at all. I can't think of a plausible reason to have one anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by hosspuller View Post
    I have Cell service and a phone line through the cable system. Get internet access (fast) and unlimited phone calls from Time Warner. Funny thing.. I don't get TV through the cable. Don't see paying for something I can get from an antenna.

I wonder if the cable system will work in a power outage. I have genset for the house to power the modem & phone. Anybody know?
    I have a recollection of beng flooded in with the power out and being able to watch cable on the gen set powered TV. DH and I went for a walk and about a mile from the house was a little genset parked next to a phone pole (chained to it actually) powering something.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

We have that Verizon package too. I have wanted to kill our landline for three years, but absurdly, the TV and internet will cost us MORE if we get rid of the landline. IE - we'd pay $20 a month more than we're paying now, and wouldn't have the landline. I keep it unplugged most of the time.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Only have the phone line because the highspeed DSL comes in on it. If it rings it's somebody I don't want to talk to !
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Thats great if GPS works in you area. Where we live our address does not work in GPS units. Everytime someone tries to GPS our residence they end up in NY, and we live in PA. We tell them and they dont believe us, apparently they think their GPS unit is gonna work better than the last guys.
    Call me parnoid, but I want them having my exact correct address if I need emergency sevices.
    What happens if you use the lat & long co-ordinates ?; http://support.google.com/maps/bin/a...n&answer=18539
    ... _. ._ .._. .._