The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I keep my land line because everytime I think of getting rid of it, I lose my cell in the house and have to use the land line to call the cell phone to find it! It's only about $32/month.

3 members found this post helpful.

Edited to add – we have a VERY basic land line - no caller ID etc, costs $30 a month. And while our daily phone is cordless, and would not work with the power out, I have an “old school” corded phone that gets plugged in when we have power outages.

As far as telemarketers etc – I NEVER pick up the phone, I tell everyone I know, “start talking to the answering machine! And I will pick up if I am home”.

99.9% of the calls on our landline are nuisance calls...it seems to annoy me greatly that Do Not Call is a joke and that the landline companies allow unidentifiable callers. I would think that in an emergency we would have cell service before landline, depending upon the nature of the emergency. We have a generator for recharging cellphones; then there is always the automobile lighters for charging.
    The only thing that has kept the service for us is the cost($25 per month) and not having thoroughly thought about discontinuing the landline...still have those nagging doubts about not being able to call anywhere if the power went out but not having thought through who I would be calling..

I dropped the land line when I moved here four years ago. I'm out in the sticks, and no cable or DSL is available for internet, so I saw no need for a land line. I use my cell phone for internet by tethering because it's really the only avaialble option besides dial-up, and it's faster than dial-up. I did purchase and install a Wilson antenna system, with an outside cell antenna running in to an amplifier and inside antenna. Works great, and I haven't missed a land line at all.

You can charge your cell phone from most emergency crank and battery radios (they sell them at Radio Shack, and I think other places). You can also get larger batteries for the cell also. I'm pretty sure you also have to get a back cell cover to accommodate the bigger battery too.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post

The land line is a nuisance on telemarketer calls, caller ID is your friend there.
    Definitely. Even though we have an unlisted number, we sometimes get telemarketer calls - especially the computerized ones. Caller I.D. is definitely wonderful in that respect. Unrecognized I.D. or number or no I.D./number at all? I simply don't answer. Plus, with our system the Caller I.D. shows up at the bottom of our tv, so if we're watching something when a call comes in, we don't even have to get up & look at the phone. Works for us.

I have not had a land line for close to five years. When we moved we quickly learned that pretty much everything (including our next door neighbor if we were inclined to call him) was a long distance call. Long distance fees made the bill crazy so away it went.

Have landline/internet bundle. Cell reception here is so bad, I don't even have one.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Not rural, not farm. Kept our landline even though we have cable and could get phone through cable. We have an old phone that doesn't use electricity. Has worked through most of the major disasters. On 9/11 no cell phones worked, but all street landline phones were opened up and free. That was a shocking and so oddly comforting (yeah Ma Bell).
    Tip: on the landline, when not in a power outage, I have a panasonic phone.
    With callerid you can block callers using the phone! Once I discovered that I took absolutely evil glee in blocking those suckers. MOD (March of Dimes) being the worst, by far, of all callers.

Rural, farm, and crappy cell coverage in this area.

We keep the landline.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Haven't had a landline phone in 10 years. cell phone only.

In the event of a broad power outage-

Just about every (landline) End Office has its own generator.

But for the cell towers, they have a pool of generators on wheels that they take to the affected cell towers. If there is a REALLY widespread power outage, they don't have enough generators for EVERY cell tower. Better than it used to be, but still not complete coverage.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

3 members found this post helpful.

I still have a landline and keep a corded phone in case of a power outage, as well as for my mother to call because she's 84 y/o and doesn't understand cellphones. I have very basic service and unless I'm expecting a call at home, rarely answer that particular number.

Everyone who matters has my cell number, and except for my mother, they'll call me on that rather than the landline.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabtfarm View Post
    99.9% of the calls on our landline are nuisance calls...it seems to annoy me greatly that Do Not Call is a joke and that the landline companies allow unidentifiable callers. I would think that in an emergency we would have cell service before landline, depending upon the nature of the emergency. We have a generator for recharging cellphones; then there is always the automobile lighters for charging.
    The only thing that has kept the service for us is the cost($25 per month) and not having thoroughly thought about discontinuing the landline...still have those nagging doubts about not being able to call anywhere if the power went out but not having thought through who I would be calling..
    In the middle of 9/11 there was little to no cell service...all the circuits were busy. My brother was working at NASA and was blocked from calling out but could get calls in. My daughter was at college just down the road from PAX naval air station. Once they let them out of the basement, the only way I could communicate was through AOL IM. See AOL was good for something!

I still have a landline, 3 as a matter of fact. My husband works from home. Cell phone reception is spotty.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

We still have a land line. If I'm standing outside I have 4 bars of 3 G, once I walk in the house I have zip, zilch, nada.

We tell everyone that if they think we are home, to please call the house phone, not the cell. Guess what....as soon as we walk out of the door our phones beep to let us know we have a message. It seems that since most everyone else basically only has a cell phone, they don't think about dialing a different number.

When we were without power for 10 days after Hurricane Isabel, the land lines were the only thing that worked after a couple of days. I think at the beginning of the power outage the cell towers had generators, but I think they were stolen.

After Hurricane Sandy, one of my friends was paid by the cell phone company to fuel the generators for the cell towers. He was paid 24 hours a day. He'd sleep a few hours here and there, but mainly traveled from tower to tower filling the tanks on the generators.

Yes, we do. Plus, we have a phone that actually plugs into the wall, instead of wireless, so it still works when the power goes out.

Yes, I do still have a landline. I also have a cell phone but that's on a prepaid card and really only for emergencies. Kind of a "Help, I've fallen and can't get up".

With Time Warner Cable for my TV and internet, I've always been bugged by them to go with a digital phone. Only problem with that is if the electric is out, so is phone so I've stubbornly kept to my landline.

I just put in a whole house generator so I didn't have to worry if the electric power went out as I have an all electric home and barn. I decided with no worry about electric power, I'd finally go for a digital phone from TWC and scheduled it. Well, 1.5 wks after installing the generator, the electric power did go out for about 2 hrs. I wasn't concerned at all since the generator took over. I then went to turn on the TV to watch a show I had taped. Low and behold-NO TV. I called TWC and the message came out that all TV, internet AND PHONE were down for an undetermined time. Next day I called TWC to find out why everything was down at the same time the power was out, obviously meaning no phone service after all even with the generator taking over and giving me electricity. The customer service rep told me not to worry as the phone had a 24 hr backup battery. I countered with the fact that would be of no value if the power was out for longer than 24 hrs. At that time I decided it was definitely time to cancel the installation of the digital and stick with my regular landline from Frontier even though it was going to cost me double the amount each month.

BTW, cell phone service is not great either where I am so I wouldn't want to rely on a cell phone.
    Last edited by msj; Feb. 26, 2013 at 08:18 PM. Reason: added the BTW part
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I keep my landline because it's cheaper to have both phone and internet than it is just internet any other way by itself.

I also have one phone with a cord in case power goes out.

Have no lanline, use VOIP as I need international, and a cell phone
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

Smile Dumped the land line..

Got rid of it 18 months ago when Verizon would not repair the line (their problem, not ours.) DH and I both have cell phones, and the service (NOT with Verizon) is much improved. We also dumped satellite internet service - First I got a wireless modem, then a wireless hot spot, which works off a cell phone signal. That is a big improvement too!