The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default The rude horse

I honestly feel bad for calling her rude, but I'm not sure what else to title this!
    I have a horse at my place that belongs to a friend. I'm borrowing her while I shop for my next horse.

She started by teaching my horse bad habits... Chewing on wood is the worst so far. Between the two of them, they have really done some damage!!!

Then she wouldn't stay in her turn out. Kept jumping into my horses pasture. She then always mounts my mare.

Two days ago, she tried to jump out of the round pen and bent beyond repair 3 of the panels. (Horse was unscathed, not even a scratch)

Today she kicked me in the chest so hard I have 2 broken ribs... My farrier saw the whole thing and couldn't believe from where I was, she was able to make contact with me, let alone my chest.

While I feel blessed to have the ability to borrow a horse so I don't feel rushed in my search for my next purchase, I'm frustrated. I'm thinking I should just return her and get a mini donkey. At least a mini donkey will help establish an ag exemption. However, I'm not one to give up on a hard case... Any words of wisdom?
    Last edited by Katy9532; Feb. 26, 2013 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Spelling

That kick could have killed you. I'd send her back pronto.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

9 members found this post helpful.

In the words of my quirky co-worker..."Life is too short for bad coffee." I say that applies to horses too. At least a bad cup of coffee probably won't kill you.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

5 members found this post helpful.

get rid of this horse!

4 members found this post helpful.

Ack. I hate those ill-behaved horses. Get rid of her, would be my advice.

I know a rude horse. She is VERY cute, but...she will be making faces at you and threatening to kick/bit you when you groom her and when you tack her up. She will pin her ears when you ask for "more" while under saddle (a bigger trot, a canter lead...) and make you feel like all she wants to do is get you off her back - literally. And she CAN get you off. Big buck in her.
    Good thing she's not MY horse. lol
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

yeah, i think she's gone from "rude" to "dangerous." i agree she should be sent back (or to a very good trainer).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

3 members found this post helpful.

The pony is rude. He's pushy and barrels into things.
    Tries to push you around and you have to keep on top of him.

He has NEVER EVER even offered to kick - even out in the pasture playing games when his tween aged brethren would stop the rearing and striking and swap ends that's when he declines to play any more.

This horse you describe OP, is dangerous, and I'm glad you are able to send it back.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

2 members found this post helpful.

What does her owner say?! Did she warn you about this mare's behavior?
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

When my previous mare became aggressive and started mounting other mares it was because she had a tumor on her ovary that was producing testosterone.

Just something to think about......

Broken ribs are seriously painful. Be sure you keep doing deep inhales - even though it hurts like crazy. Pneumonia frequently follows broken ribs because it hurts so much to breathe deeply.

You have accumulated quite a few expenses here: wood, fencing and medical. What is next?

When I saw the title of this thread...I thought, well, yeah, I have a rude horse...she's sort of pushy on the ground and is kind of a pain in the ass when taken away from her friends, and lately she's been a little hard to catch...I think I really might need to start working with her more, as retirement seems to be teaching her the wrong things.

But then I opened the thread and OH HO you describe something waaaaaaay different. You've got a DANGEROUS horse there. And since she's not even yours, it's not important WHY she's so dangerous. It could be an ovarian tumor, or some other sort of hormone producing tumor, or a brain tumor, or maybe she's just mean.

Send her back for her owner to deal with before she kills you and be sure to tell the owner the nitty gritty of what's been happening, so she can avoid harm herself.

5 members found this post helpful.

Gone, Gone, Gone!!! NOW!!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

1 members found this post helpful.

Rude would be the least offensive word I'd use on this horse. She's worse than rude she's downright dangerous. Send her back before she kills you or gets herself killed or injured while she's in your care.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

3 members found this post helpful.

Send her back now. Tell your friend it's just not working out--which is the truth! Damaged your barn, trying to damage your other horse, now damaged you--3 strikes, you're gone.
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

If she were yours, I'd recommend a vet work up for hormonal issues. Since she's not yours, put her on the trailer yesterday and take her back. Find a horse to half lease at a local boarding barn to keep your saddle time, and get a donkey for companionship...
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

Don't even think twice about it. Send her back. Tell your friend the list of things that have happened and let her sort out the whats and whys.

So glad you are ok. You are very very lucky as I'm sure you know. Bye bye dangerous mare. Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Take her back but tell your friend to have the mare checked for a granulosa cell tumor. The mounting your mare and aggressive behavior are red flags I would not ignore, if I were the mare's owner.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

Polo groom age 26 kicked in chest and died last weekend in Wellington, FL.

Return the horse with previous posters observations... this is not just 'rude' behavior. Life is too short to take those chances.