The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Selling tips?

I have had a nice little mare for sale or lease for over 3 months now and have had ZERO interest in her, and I can not figure out why. I have (what I consider to be) nice conformation photos of her from different angles, have played up her strengths, am advertising her on my personal fb page, my barn fb page, a fb page for horse/farming interests, and on several popular sales websites. Not sure if it is ok or not but I would like to posst my fb ad for her, however I do not want to seem to be advertising her here. Can anyone suggest anything to increase interest in her? She is a really nice little Arab mare, good size, good age, good manners, good looking, etc... No clue what else to do but I can't afford to sit on her forever... Have reduced her price several times with no result. Help!

Unfortunately, the breed is against her...it isn't one of the more popular ones. I would at this point start calling some barns and letting them know she is available. Is she Arabian Show material? If so, call Arabian barns and let them know you have her. Is she suited to a school program or a pony clubber? If so, contact local lesson barns and or your local pony club. Is she priced appropriately? Can you get her out to some shows so she can be seen? The past three months are also a slow time to sell; it should be picking up from now on in...that may be lack of interest. Also size may be an issue; if she is 14.3H that is a much harder sell than 14.2H or 15H or bigger.

Sorry, but posting your FB ad here WOULD be considered advertising.

Depending on where her talents lie, perhaps take out a paid ad in COTH?

Ya, I agree her breed is going against her. [edit]

She does NOT have the stereotypical Arab temperment. I could contact the few dressage barns and let them know about her. Just thinking that most adults probably want a bigger, non arab. ha. Thanks! The COTH ad might be a good idea, I have herd of success stories of someone taking out several nationwide, expensive ads and raising the price to cover the expense, and selling the horse. Also, I am pregnant and can not ride her at this point, so she has not been ridden since November. Obviously not good. I am sure she will remember her training but she has no muscles now. I can't even find anyone to work her!
    Last edited by Moderator 3; Feb. 28, 2013 at 01:29 PM. Reason: to remove advertising details

My BO has had one of her horses for sale for a year now, with very little interest. He is a QH, on the small side too (maybe 15.1), and a great trail horse. He's a good age (10), he's very handsome, pretty quiet, and can jump safely but it's not his thing. He's not WP, more like an EP horse. I've hunter paced him a few times and he loves it. He's got a good head on his shoulders and some good training in him.

She's dropped the price several times and that hasn't helped.

I think it's just a tough market for these types of horses right now, especially because of their size. Most people want bigger horses.

Good luck ... maybe take the ad down for a little while then repost ?

You might try advertising her to a market more open to Arabs. Endurance or competitive trail riders, for example. Maybe look up the NATRC group in your region, they might have a newsletter where you could place an ad. (links here: http://www.natrc.org/RelatedLinks.htm )

Doing a little investigation and finding your ad I think you might try putting her with a decent dressage trainer for a few months who could take her to a few Arab shows. She's a cute mare (and exactly what I'd been looking for a few years ago), but the Arab market is tough unless they have a good show history. I think you'll be lucky to get half of what you're asking without a recent show record, even on a nice Arab.

Also, if you know any Arab breeders in the area, let them know about her. They have a good informal network. And there is an Arabian Sport Horse facebook group that you could advertise her on.

Good luck, because she looks super cute. If I hadn't bought a horse last year, I'd consider her!

Thanks, Eponacelt!

I am now working on emailing dressage farms within an hour of me and letting them know she is for sale and price is very negotiable. There seem to be quite a few dressage barns about 45 min from me, hopefully this helps. Thanks!

A few thoughts:

I found two of the non-FB ads. The prices and ages were different. Whether that's typos or not keeping things synched up doesn't matter. It LOOKS shady to buyers and is very easy information to find.

Only one ad had a single picture and it was a conformation shot. That's not going to catch peoples' attention the way a picture of her doing something and showing off whatever movement she has would.

The only video I could find was several years old, from a previous owner, and doesn't show her working under saddle.

I'd personally reorder the ad text. If the horse isn't doing or capable of doing what I want under saddle, I don't really care how nice their personality is. So I'd focus on training first (with photos/videos to back it up) and personality last.

3 members found this post helpful.

Thanks halt near x! Fixed the pricing and age. Turning 8 in March and lowered higher price to match lower price. Hadn't caught those things. The next time I have a young rider bored around the barn, I will tack her up and get some action shots and video. Thanks!

If she has papers, are you advertising her in Arabian-specific media? 8 is relatively young for an Arab, and you'd probably get more nibbles advertising her to a breed-specific market. Out of the general market, yes, Arabs are a specialty, but there are people who are specifically looking for ONLY an Arab.

OP
    I feel your pain! I have a Arab who has shown in open and AHA and went to regionals....sound, cute......yada yada yada......I have her advertised everywhere and priced way cheap for the amount of pro training and show record and...............NOTHING!!!! I have a older video of my horse at her first show over fences and a short recent vid from last week because every one wants video so if you can get vids that may help.

Like someone else said its her breed and size. I would just try and put her on every site you can and print out flers and post them at feed/tack stores.

Good Luck
    Last edited by spook1; Feb. 26, 2013 at 07:23 PM. Reason: added info

Too much money....she is a "prospect" as indicated in the ads. I am sure she is sweet and a nice horse, but nothing seems to stand out (training, show record, etc). $2K max. I mean my trainer has a 17H 6 yr old Reg. Oldenburg gelding for sale for $7500....these are lean times for selling unless there is truly something verifiable to support the value.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I didn't look for your regular sales ads, so maybe I am missing some info, and I don't know what your asking price is. But your FB post doesn't do her a lot of favors, IMO. A little low level dressage (I read: she can WTC) and a single trail ride isn't much experience for an 8 year old.

I can't tell from your ad what audience you are targeting. Who do you think she would suit?
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    I didn't look for your regular sales ads, so maybe I am missing some info, and I don't know what your asking price is. But your FB post doesn't do her a lot of favors, IMO. A little low level dressage (I read: she can WTC) and a single trail ride isn't much experience for an 8 year old.

I can't tell from your ad what audience you are targeting. Who do you think she would suit?
    [edit] I am not really a dressage rider per se, but I have done all her training, so I didn't want to make it sound like she was a high level dressage horse. I had never trail ridden her before she went for sale, so I tried her to see how she would react and she was good. Maybe I should just leave that out?
    [edit]
    Thanks for the tips!
    Last edited by Moderator 3; Feb. 28, 2013 at 01:30 PM. Reason: to remove advertising details

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    If she has papers, are you advertising her in Arabian-specific media? 8 is relatively young for an Arab, and you'd probably get more nibbles advertising her to a breed-specific market. Out of the general market, yes, Arabs are a specialty, but there are people who are specifically looking for ONLY an Arab.
    She is papered, but I am not really an "Arab" person so I don't even know what an example of Arabian specific media would be short of a national Arabian magazine and that would probably be overkill. Any suggestions? I did find a dressage barn about 45 min from me that specializes in Arabs that I didn't even know existed. Hopefully I will get a lead from one of those places.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by mpsbarnmanager View Post
    Yes, she can WTC, goes on the bit, bends nicely, very responsive to weight shift and seat aids, soft mouth, elementary leg yields, haunches in and out, turn on the forehand and haunches, backing, extends, collects... I am not really a dressage rider per se, but I have done all her training, so I didn't want to make it sound like she was a high level dressage horse. I had never trail ridden her before she went for sale, so I tried her to see how she would react and she was good. Maybe I should just leave that out?
    As far as audience, she would be suit almost anyone that is an intermediate rider. A less experienced rider tends to confuse her, if the rider can not clearly communicate their wishes to her. She wants to please.
    Thanks for the tips!
    In that case, I would "sell" her a lot more than your current description does.
    Nicely educated on the flat, suitable for an intermediate rider, good in and out of the ring, etc.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

1 members found this post helpful.

Arabs are a hard sell. In my area she would be between $500-$1500. My one client two years ago bought a 11 yr registered Arab gelding who won over fences and on the flat at Arab shows, went to state Fair six times, schooled xc, and shown training level dressage. Paid a whopping $1500 for him

2 members found this post helpful.

I also found the FB ad, and it also says "pretty bare-bones prospect". None of the nice stuff you said about her here is in it; maybe it's in the ad sites? But basically what I get from the ad is that she can flat a little, and is pretty.

The riding shots of her on your FB (I think it's her? With the cross rail?) are a bit unfortunate, because they're awkward pics around jumping, not pics showcasing anything you say she's good at. I definitely second (or third or fourth) taking nice under-saddle pics and specifying what she's good at.

1 members found this post helpful.