The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

When I was in high school one of our cats had a climbing problem -- and even more a "getting down" problem. She regularly climbed into the cupelo of the barn and got stuck there until someone was lifted up there in the tractor bucket to fish her out.

One day, she climbed 60' up in an oak tree. First branch around 25'. After 2 days it became clear she wasn't coming down (not a bright cat). Even more impressive, my dad climbed up the tree and got her, with a rope tied around his waist. Put cat in a pillowcase and lowered her down. He was so sore he couldn't move for 3 days and said the next time the cat got stuck in a tree he'd shoot her out so at least she wouldn't suffer, but he'd be darned if he'd go get her again.

To her credit, she kept her paws on the ground after that.

^^^

Cat would have been SOL with the copula incident. I don't have a tractor with a bucket. And diesel is more than 4 bucks a gallon where I live.

I would probably stand on the ground and yell up to the cat, "Hey, throw down a $20 and I'll see if I can rescue you."
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.

Cowboymom - wow! That would have done me in totally. Lucky kitty!

Talkofthetown - awww! That's so wonderful.

My husband had a cat when he was a kid that ended up 100km (60 miles) away in another town. The cat walked home - took a few weeks and was much thinner when he reappeared!

There is a Feral cat living in the barn here. I trapped him last fall, drove 40+ miles to the spay/neuter clinic that does feral cats, picked him up and drove ~30 miles on a completely different route to a barn I was dropping him off at (with permission).

That barn is ~10 miles from here. A few weeks later he was back and I still see him once in awhile. I still don't know if he walked or recognized my trailer and hoped on when I went over there to ride. At least now he is neutered and not as agressive as he used to be.

Christa

My kitty Kahli Ma is appropriately named after the Hindu deity of chaos and destruction. She is very, very attached to me and couldn't give two hoots about any of the other people in my household, so she gets a bit upset when I travel. One of the ways she expresses her unhappiness at my leaving is by opening all my dresser drawers and throwing everything in them onto the floor. This was getting really annoying because a) I travel a lot and b) I have 2- 5 drawer dressers so that's a lot of picking up and refolding clothes, so I got some childproofing hooks in hopes of thwarting her efforts. The first time I went away after adding the childproofing, this 11 pound cat somehow managed to tear the fronts off the dresser drawers!!!!! literally she splintered some of the wood and pulled nails out!!! After that I just went back to picking up clothes off the floor LOL!
    Last edited by tabula rashah; Feb. 28, 2013 at 01:36 PM. Reason: grammar
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

WOW, TR!!!

My old lady used to poop on the bed when I traveled for work. Luckily she got a better comfort level re: separation anxiety and stopped doing that.

And your kitty is beautiful!!!
    Last edited by oliverreed; Feb. 28, 2013 at 01:15 PM. Reason: add compliemnt ti kitty
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

I love this thread because.. well, Cats are my People.

My soul mate of a kitty, who has recently passed, had so many amazing feats to share but the ones that come to mind involve his "protection" of me. A couple years ago I was living alone and had problems with a man who kept coming to my house. No idea who he was or how he found me, but he got pretty aggressive (showing up at night, kicking in my back gate, snooping on my property, etc). Anyway, I can take care of myself, but I was wound pretty tight after about a month or two of this. Willy (my heart) became so attuned to this "danger" that he would sit up at night and stay watch. He always curled up next to my head in bed, but he stopped sleeping so much and I'd wake up to find him just staring at me or staring into the dark. A number of times he would wake me because I could feel him tense and he'd start this insane growl, then he'd look to my older dog who has hearing loss. The dog learned to be tuned to Willy's growl and then he'd wake up and start barking, and then Willy would streak out of the room leading the dog. Twice I know Willy did this when the man came into my back yard. It's amazing how much safer I felt with my cat there. Many times I knew to call the police by looking to my cat. He was already my shadow, but he really kept an eye on me during this time, and I always would look at him to see what he was 'saying'. He heard things no one else did, and I swear, he just KNEW what was happening. This cat though was extraordinary; he literally was a human in a cat's suit.

He also "protected" me and the old dog from the puppy. Puppy would start playing (not too rough, but I guess it was too rough for Willy). There would be lots of dog playing noises - barking, growling, yipping. Willy would decide that it had gotten too close to me, or too rough on the old dog (although it never was) and he would come out of nowhere like lightning and attack the puppy - who was technically a full sized Cattle Dog, so no small feat! Plus, Willy was declawed up front (long story, no judging please). Puppy never knew what hit him. I believe Willy protected the old dog as well because I rescued Willy and his entire litter at day 2 of life, minutes from being gassed at the AC. I bottle fed them and old dog, a lab, mothered them with all his heart as well. Willy grew up thinking we were all one species, I swear.

Most amazing cat ever. Most amazing life ever. I'll never fill the void he left behind.
    My boy, "Mr. Nice Guy"

Ask me about Final Furlong, Inc. - promoting "Responsible retirement for thoroughbred racehorses through the racing industry".

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    WOW, TR!!!

My old lady used to poop on the bed when I traveled for work. Luckily she got a better comfort level re: separation anxiety and stopped doing that.

And your kitty is beautiful!!!
    Thank you
    And I think I'll take re-folding clothes over a poopy bed anyday!
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

My Gohan is a successful member of XBOX tech support and an avid gamer

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps75307017.jpg

Mine has an invisibility cloak.

Every time I come home from work I open the door:

1.) knowing the cat will try to bolt (I have an enclosed porch so it's fine, but also useless to the cat so why does she care so much is my question)
    2.) opening the door in the most defensive, sticking-my-foot-in-blockingly way
    3.) eyes peeled for grey streak
    4.) and every time I think, "OK! Kept her in this time!"

Except 30 seconds later, "Mewww!" from the eff porch.

To say nothing of, "JESUS! How did you get in this drawer?!"

Default What is It With Tuxedo Cats?

Several threads mention tuxedo cats...Ours showed up in the driveway 15 years ago...I fed him a few times out there, he gravitated to the barn, so I figured, "OK, a good new barn cat." I was promptly awarded with mice left almost daily in various stages of disembowelment in the tack room

He hung around another week or so there, I was VERY careful with my two Rottweilers-one a 5 YO female, another a young male, recently adopted, around the cat. We are talking 85 and 120 lb. dogs here, didn't want any problems, as the male was a new addition to the farm.

One day, I'm in the house, look over to the screen door, which of course has a tear in the corner from poking dog noses, here comes tuxedo kitty squeezing through...Right into the paws of the Rotties. Kitty looks up from the floor, hisses, and strolls into the LR. Dogs look confused. Kitty makes himself at home.

Fast forward all these many years. Rotties are gone now, may they rest in Peace. Tuxie is now at least 17, still rules the roost! Fabulous hunter, he's caught minks, weasels, snakes, turtles, frogs, all types of vermin, bunnies, but not too many birds, I bring him in during the day, so he doesn't decimate the local bird population....I hate to see him growing old now...Best animal that ever "found me"

Our cat used to catch rattlers, cut their heads off and drag the rest thru the dog door into the living room for us to admire.
    Only rattlers.

Oh - I also had a big black and white cat... he was HUGE! He used to catch cattle egrets in the horse pasture. I have no idea how a) he pulled them down and b) he managed to ambush them in the middle of a field! He would then drag them around by their long necks. He never ate them, just liked to bring them to us... he was an amazing hunter.
    My boy, "Mr. Nice Guy"

Ask me about Final Furlong, Inc. - promoting "Responsible retirement for thoroughbred racehorses through the racing industry".

Quote Originally Posted by Fractious Fox View Post
    Oh - I also had a big black and white cat... he was HUGE! He used to catch cattle egrets in the horse pasture. I have no idea how a) he pulled them down and b) he managed to ambush them in the middle of a field! He would then drag them around by their long necks. He never ate them, just liked to bring them to us... he was an amazing hunter.
    I need some scaling devices to really appreciate this feat.

1. How much did the black-n-whiter weigh?
    2. What's a cattle egret? How big are those bad boys?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    I need some scaling devices to really appreciate this feat.

1. How much did the black-n-whiter weigh?
    2. What's a cattle egret? How big are those bad boys?
    Ok, I can provide further details!

Zip, as he was affectionately known (with his twin brother being called Zap), was a big guy. His mom was a very petite calico but his dad must have been a main coon or something. He was a long haired black and white cat, about a 50/50 color mix - very handsome. He probably weighed about 15 lbs, but he was a very athletic and tall cat, with a general sturdy appearance. I think at the time of the main killings he was tail-less... this same cat one night was laying in the dirt driveway as my 16yo self drove home. For whatever reason he never got up and I never saw him, and I rolled the truck over his tail. He disappeared for four days only to return with a dead, hairless, bones showing in the tip from friction, tail. We had it amputated. He never missed a beat.

Anyway..This is what Wikipedia says about cattle egrets: The Cattle Egret is a stocky heron with a 88–96 cm (35–38 in) wingspan; it is 46–56 centimetres (18–22 in) long and weighs 270–512 grams (9.5–18.1 oz).[12] It has a relatively short thick neck, sturdy bill, and a hunched posture."

This is what a cattle egret looks like:
    for scale against a horse http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3516/4...3024241e_z.jpg
    Walking along http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...rida_Keys2.jpg

It's a pretty impressive kill, I think!
    My boy, "Mr. Nice Guy"

Quote Originally Posted by zafirah View Post
    My Gohan is a successful member of XBOX tech support and an avid gamer

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps75307017.jpg
    Sheeit, mang, he don't even have time to look atchu fo' de photo op.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

He's a busy little guy, mvp!

After a few incidents where we found doors open in our house that we normally keep closed (we try to keep the cats out of the guest room, guest bath...and yet we'd find the door open, DH and I would remind each other, and we became suspicious...) we finally set a trap and caught the perpetrator:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=3&theater

We actually have to warn guests to lock the bedroom and bathroom door while they are in there if they don't want a kitty visitor barging in.
    "To understand the soul of a horse is the closest human beings can come to knowing perfection."

My tabby was quite literally a peeping tom. He'd jump from the sink to the top of the shower door and perch there watching as we took showers. He also used to poke my husband's head from his perch. The first time really freaked my husband out. Hubby is blind as a bat without his glasses. Of course, he doesn't wear glasses in the shower, so he never knew the cat was up there watching him. Until one day he's all alone in the shower, and he feels someone touching his head. Aiiiiiiiiiiiy!