The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Feats of Cats. Impress me

This shouldn't be hard. Pictures make it better.

I'll start. Orange neighbor cat climbed up 25 feet of pure verticality in our house cedar/redwood thing. Good bark, but no branches until our roof line at least.

Cat also came back down, hiney first, using da clawz.

No big deal, he said.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

One of mine waits until the clothes hamper is full before rooting through it to find EVERY piece of my underwear, dragging them into the livingroom and draping them artistically in the most visible spots she can find. Bonus points are awarded if undies can be seen from the front door!
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

7 members found this post helpful.

When I was very young, we had two Siamese cats, a mother and daughter team. We lived in Rochester, NY. There was lots of snow in the winter. I saw them act in concert to drive a Newfie out of the yard. One would get in front of the dog and distract it, the other leapt up on its back and rode it out of the yard.

Same cats would go for "walks" with us two blocks to a store. Very suburban neighborhood - they'd follow us by sneaking from one house's shrubs to the next.

I'm sure I can think of more.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

1 members found this post helpful.

Over a period of several months, I kept getting home from grocery shopping to discover that my deli hadn't made it into the bags. I would distinctly remember standing at the counter and making my order, and I could even find the turkey or ham or whatever on the receipt, but when I unpacked ... gone.

I figured the bagger was setting them aside, and envisioned these lonely bags of deli wishing they were in my cart as I forgot them on the turnstile and headed for the car. Until one day when I hauled my first load of bags inside, dumped them on the kitchen floor and went back out for the next load, but decided I wanted my gloves and turned back--

Just in time to see my tuxedo cat hauling ass up the stairs, carrying a pound of shaved ham.

I followed the little thief upstairs and tracked him to the back of the guest closet, where I found him amidst the demolished bags that were all that was left of untold deli runs. No wonder his diet wasn't working!
    Horsey romances written by a horsey person
    www.JesseHayworth.com

14 members found this post helpful.

I was moving from Montana to New Mexico when I was 18 or so and had my little cat Cleo with me. She wasn't impressed with our road trip and yowled the whole time... constantly... in the middle of a long stretch north of Salt Lake City I let her out of her crate to try to find a comfortable spot in the car where she could maybe settle down for a while.... it was in the middle of summer and my car didn't have AC, it was about 10 PM so I had the driver's side window cracked just barely, I swear, just barely. I remember hearing one last slightly more frantic yowl up behind my left shoulder and then silence... "no way..." I was going probably 75 mph, interstate traffic, Friday night busy after dark... I stopped on the side of the road and crawled all over in that car looking for her and nope, she was gone. I was so upset...horrible. I remember agonizing over to go back or not, I didn't want to see her dead but I couldn't NOT go, I finally drove ahead to a place where I could cross and go north... there was a concrete divider so I couldn't see the southbound side, I was going to make a big loop and look again when lo and freaking behold-there was my little Cleo cat, sitting ON the concrete divider with semi's and cars going past in both lanes, OMG it was scary all over again! I waiting for a break in traffic and got out of the car and crouched by the car door and called her... and she ran straight for me, I was able to swoop her up and back in the car we went. Not a single injury on her, she was perfectly fine. I had to go to the nearest motel and get a place to chill out for the rest of the night, I was so upset. I still can't believe that happened, she was just a tiny little black tabby barn cat, about a year old when that happened and she lived for another 18 years. I don't think she ever got bigger than 8 lbs and half grown size.

She killed a family of weasels out of the chicken coop one winter too which we always thought was impressive-two mornings in a row she had the baby weasels and on the third morning she brought us the mama weasel.

6 members found this post helpful.

^^

Jesus. Did the cat learn anything? Show any remorse? And "... And that's what NOT to do next time."

Rumor has it that an octopus can fit through a whole the size of a quarter (if it were so inclined and it's beak small enough). When I started this thread, I was wondering if I cat could go boneless and do the same thing.

So, honest to God, how much was your window cracked? Less than 4 inches?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by jess h View Post
    Just in time to see my tuxedo cat hauling ass up the stairs, carrying a pound of shaved ham.

I followed the little thief upstairs and tracked him to the back of the guest closet, where I found him amidst the demolished bags that were all that was left of untold deli runs. No wonder his diet wasn't working!
    Meh, my tuxedo cat did one better.

This one lived with me, allowed me to buy him Meow Mix and do the vet work.

Otherwise, he Lived Off The Fat O' The Land. He'd disappear for of days at a time. Turns out, he have more than one apartment full of people buying him deli. He also looked for clean sheets and would sleep on any nice bed near an open window.

When we lived on a busy street, he'd originally gallop across two lanes of traffic to get to an inviting porch on the other side. When he didn't get run over (but honked at), he slowed to a casual trot.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I was specifically afraid of that cat going through the window so as I remember it, it was about 3 inches-since it happened behind my shoulder maybe she was able to pull the glass away or something, it was a little 83 Honda Civic... I don't know how she did it! I don't remember the trip back from New Mexico with her but I do remember a move somewhere along the lines where she sat in my lap and peed on me as soon we we pulled out of the driveway.

^^

Three inches! That cat is approaching octupus skillz.

What did she say when you swooped her off the median concrete? Was it "Holy sh!t that was scary," or "Yeah, I just ordered Dominos. Give me 15 minutes until they get here"? Did she thank you or cuss you out for rescuing her?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

She was terrified! It was the only time she ever came when I called her if I hadn't just opened a can of cat food! The sight of her huddled on that concrete barrier in my headlights with her big green eyes and her fur blowing in the wind from the traffic and not knowing if she would run away from me into more traffic...horrible. Makes me want to cry right now.

Wow, some of these tales are downright harrowing! I've got nothing that scary.

I acquired my old lady fat cat when she was a scrawny young thing. A coworker's father had died and he couldn't take the cat his dad had, so he was looking for some poor schmuck to take her in (that would be me). While cleaning out the house, coworker emptied/turned off the fridge and wedged it open to finish defrosting. He filled up her water, food, and litter and left for a couple of days to drop off some stuff to his sister.

Fuzz Butts managed to climb up into the fridge and knock the wedge loose and trap herself in for a day or two. Throughout the eleven years I've had her, I have to manhandle her away from the fridge before I close the door 'cause she keeps trying to climb in.

When she was a lot younger and a lot skinnier (I could make a "collar" with my thumb and forefinger around her neck, that's how tiny she was -- ballooned right up after she got fixed), I'd find her hiding in the weirdest spots. To this day I still can't figure out how she squirmed underneath an antique dresser -- the greatest clearance between the decorative edge and the floor was less than three inches square. I think she laid down and slid under like a mechanic on a trolley.

She also had a great talent for turning on and off the lights in my hallway and despite the arthritis creeping in, she'll still pogo around to flip the switches every now and again.

I saw a barn cat climb about 6' up a metal pole to get away from a dog. She hung on until we got the dog away, and then a bit longer until she figured out how to slide her way back down. We couldn't believe she got up the pole, much less that she managed to hang there.

Some of ya'll probably saw my thread in Off Course, about our little miracle kitty.

She started out life as a survivor...our neighbor found her in the woods, mama cat nowhere in site and all her litter mates dead

A few days after Christmas this past year, she (apparently) was sleeping in the undercarriage of the car, and fell out a few miles from home. We hit/ran her over, and she got up and ran off. Called and called, shook some cat food, looked for an hour. Never found her. Hubby said he was positive he ran right over her, there was no way she could've avoided internal damage. Went out a few different days calling and looking for her. Nothing.

A week or two ago, we're driving home at night, and we see little eyes glowing on the side of the road. Slowed down so we didn't hit whatever furry thing it might have been, and we see it's a cat. DH pulls over and is trying to tell me it's Katie Kitty. I'm like there's no way, it's been over a month, she got squished, didn't want to get my hopes up. But it sure as heck looks like her. DH gets out of the car and says "Kitty!". Cat pops up out of the ditch and looks at him. He says "Katie!!!" and that poor little kitten RUNS up to him and proceeds to climb up his leg and into his arms. That little cat has NEVER been affectionate, lways kind of a spaz. But man, ever since we brought her home I can't keep her off of us. All rubbing and purring and cuddling. Bless her heart, she was thin as a rail but no a mark on her.

I told her all her lives have been used up, she's not allowed to do anything else dangerous

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Halt Near X View Post
    I saw a barn cat climb about 6' up a metal pole to get away from a dog. She hung on until we got the dog away, and then a bit longer until she figured out how to slide her way back down. We couldn't believe she got up the pole, much less that she managed to hang there.
    More octopus skillz! With claws-turned-suction cups. A metal pole!?!
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

My Frosty kitty, recently deceased, would climb straight up a pecan tree next to the barn. About 15 feet or so up, there is a little knob, can't be but two or three inches sticking out, and he'd sit up there and groom himself. Then he'd come back down again head first! He'd do this almost every day. I was totally amazed at the control he had on descent.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

^^&

I'm impressed by a cat who can call a 2-3" knob a chair.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

You know how cars, when the windows are rolled up, have a tiny (1 cm?) ridge between window and door? I had a cat who like to jump onto the bumper of the car, walk alongside the car on this ridge, then sprawl on the hood for a nap. Why? Because she could.

This is the same cat who, starting at 6 months old, would occasionally played an awful game when she caught a chipmunk. She released the chipmunk at the bottom of an apple tree, waited for it to reach the top, then climbed after it and knocked it down. She would then run after and catch it, drop it at the base of the tree and repeat until someone stopped her or the chipmunk was dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

My sister's cat, Blintz, becomes possessed in the weirdest ways...

First, it was to completely empty my BILs carefully rolled, matched sock drawer...completely. Cat would open the drawer, pull out all the sock rolls and proceed to unravel them into a frenzied mess in their bedroom.

He chewed off the heads of the 3 wise men for their nativity set one Christmas and then deposited their headless bodies around the apartment...

Most recently was around Christmas time. Our uncle LOFFS pizzelles with anise flavoring, unfortunately his wife doesn't have an iron or a recipe. So my sis, living on the same side of the country as him, and also his godchild makes him a tin every Christmas. They are labor intensive since you can only make 2 at a time and my sis is always busy with work and they require a dozen eggs to make one batch. So she finally gets a batch done, cooled, packages them in ziplock bags before she heads to bed and figures she'll ship them in the am. Morning comes, bag is shredded to bits and pulverized pizzelles everywhere! Blintz didn't seem to eat them, just destroyed beyond recognition. Sis thinks maybe the anise attracted him to the cookies, she tries again the next week. New batch done, cooled, packaged in ziplock bags then into a decorative box(taped closed) and then into a shipping box (also taped shut), heads to bed. Blintz got through BOTH boxes and proudly vanquished the offending pizzelles once again!

I think she finally just got up early one morning, made batch #3 and went straight to the post office...

Blintz is wicked in the most awesome ways!!!

Ricky and Bobby, my two orange punks, are boring compared to some of these kitties. They have each jumped off the roof (not a big house, so maybe 10 or 12 feet), and they both have the uncanny ability to get their feet as filthy as possible, then march all over a clean kitchen and bathroom as soon as I let them in. They also seem to know just when I start to drift off to sleep to start a brawl IN the bed with me. So, really, they're just A-holes.

Kitty at 16, had leg put in a cast and locked in bedroom to keep her quiet. I came in, lay down, started reading. Cat gimps over to door, looks back (doesnt see me), rises up on her hind legs, one of which is in full cast, and grabs the door handle with her front paws and hangs on it, swaying back and forth. Repeats and TURNS THE FREAKING handle. She hid this amazing skill for 16 years. Only her desperation at being locked in one room for days drove her to reveal this.
    Seriously, dogs should have acquired this skill, they are taller, they have more weight to use, and they really want to go OUT. But no, cats got it.