The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Throwleigh Retirement Farm in Virginia?

Anyone familiar with this farm? Good, bad, etc? It's very inexpensive (compared to what's in my area). Feel free to email me privately if more appropriate.

1 members found this post helpful.

I know a couple of people who've sent horses there. It's good for very low maintenance horses -- they are out in the fields and get very little handling, though they are checked on frequently. If your horse needs special food, trimming etc. it wouldn't work. They need to be able to go barefoot and be easy-keeping (grain will be fed for an extra charge, I think $75 or $100/month, for the cost of grain and the labor involved in bringing the horse up for its grain.) It's also not a good place for people who want to visit their horses often. A visit every 2-3 months seems OK, but more than that and the owners might get irritated.

The owners will NOT go to great lengths to save a horse, so you need to talk that over with them and decide if you're comfortable with what they will and won't do.

The 5 people I know who have sent horses there (4 of whom are at the same boarding barn as I am) have been generally happy with the place. All but one of the horses have stayed permanently; the one who just came back after his "18 months with Dr. Green" for a suspensory injury needed some extra farrier work and has some bumps and scrapes from living in a pasture with other horses, but he's a brat!

Definitely not for everyone, but for some it works well. (One interesting bit from a previous thread about this farm: a poster had a fairly young horses who was dangerous to handle and needed to be retired. They chose Throwleigh precisely because it's fairly remote and hands-off.)
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

I very briefly looked into it for my older guy. They were very nice in our short bit of correspondence, but they are definitely not keen on visitors more than a couple of times a year. That was my biggest turn off, since I was trying to find my horse a place closer to me so I could see him more than a couple of times a year.

But, it seems like an excellent set up if you are ok with just a couple of visits here and there. I ended up ultimately being able to bring my horse to where I live and work, so I get to see him a couple of times a DAY instead (much better for me!)

Also: There are also a number of foxhunters in the area who send their horses there for the off-season. In fact, that's how the first person at my barn to send a horse there heard about it.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Long Branch Farm http://historiclongbranch.com/index....d=47&Itemid=55

I have a friend who took her mare there several years ago, I would guess at least 7. She goes to see her, and sent me photos of the mare who is thriving.

The owner is very happy with the farm.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I have never heard anything bad about Throwleigh and have referred clients who are looking for field retirement there as we only do full care. I do know of one who sent her horse there and was quite happy with the placement. As said, not the place for a retiree who needs high maintenance/ongoing care. Glad you got to keep your horse near to you. I know it must be hard to send them away!
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

It depends on your horse and what kind of care they need. I lnow of only one horse from a personal observation. Teenage gelding who'd been retired at that place for a year. Lady retrieved him and had him shipped closer to where she had moved. He was a total mess when he arrived. About 400 pounds underweight, every rib showing, excessively long coat. Tail one big dreadlock, she ended up havimg to cut it all off amd let it grow, mane also full of dreadlocks. Every time she'd called to inquire after him she was told he was fine. She would have been more than happy to have paid extra money for him to have been fed properly and at least groomed often enough to keep mane and from becomimg one huge mass. So it's not a good fit for some horses.

As always I have to recommend this place: www.retirementboarding.com

They are fantastic and my retired gelding lived out his days there. When my current horse is ready to retire she will go there too.