The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Okay different approach...not a TB a Connemara! Thoughts please!

Hi again, I've been looking at this guy the same time I've been looking at the chestnut mare and quite like him! 4yr old connemara, 15hh now might mature to 15.1 or 15.2. I'm a smaller rider so the size shouldn't be a problem. His parents are both very athletic. I love the pony types and connemaras in general and haven't yet met one that couldn't jump! Only have some side shots and a free movement video but if you could let me know what you think that'd be great. I'm going to ask the lady if she can get some free jumping videos as she's a good three hours away. Thanks all!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9102441...in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9102441...in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9102441...n/photostream/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgVJ8ioH52o

He's cute! I like his trot... how far up the levels do you hope to take him?

My experience with Connemara's is like yours -- haven't met one that couldn't jump, and the ones I've known were all very proficient at their jobs (a few jumpers, one in dressage). I tried a lovely Conn mare when I was looking a few months back but she was a bit green and pricey, though lovely build and movement, very much like this guy.

I like him but I tend to like Connemaras. I ride a 13.2 hand pony at BNovice and have a ball doing so.

I love him!! Connemaras are so much fun and their jumps are wonderful. Can't wait to see what you decide.

I like him much better than the mare you previously posted. He has nicer gaits. I would see if you can arrange a trip out there to go see him in person.

I like him but the woman in the pic must be very tall if he is 15 hands!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

4 members found this post helpful.

I am very partial to Connemara as I have a conn/TB cross and love him to death!!! Smart, athletic, jump, flat he can do it all. We just moved up to novice this year!!!
    No Worries!

What is his breeding?

What are your objectives?
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I like him, but does he have boo boos on his fetlocks if you zoom in FL and maybe LH? I would ask about that. I think he looks around 15hh, because she has a Mastiff next to her..and I'm 5:10ish and 15hh is about shoulder level on me, so she does look on the tall side. He's really a cutie.

I am all about Connemaras but can't get to the link from work :-( Can't wait to see it.

I'd take a nice substantial, good-boned, good-hoofed, good-minded Connemara ALL DAY LONG, over a chestnut TB mare

My second pony was a Conn/TB and I was obsessed with the breed as a Junior. Still have a major soft spot for them.

Good luck! He's lovely!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

He is a bit shorter in the neck, than I like, but is a cute mover. If he is already four, then I do not know how much taller he will grow? Do Connemara's usually grow taller, after four?

I would like to know about the bay horse in photo #3, who has the look of eagles, while the grey is sniffing noses across the fence? Is that one for sale?
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

1 members found this post helpful.

Like him better than the last one, though none of the pictures are that great (and I hate confo shots with boots on!!!). He is a better mover than the mare was. Also, it irritates me that both the text in the video and the info under the video say he has 6 weeks under saddle, but all they show is him getting chased around the indoor (I also hate videos of horses getting chased, but that's just me). I much rather see him ridden. Curious as to his breeding.

Cute trot and looks like he likes to jump Not a fan of his canter at liberty - would be interesting to see how he does under saddle.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

The best you've picked so far..

Connemaras do tend to grow until they are 5 or 6 atleast. They get their registration papers at 2 and they have to be measured at that age and it is recorded. I had a 14.2 hh filly at 2 and she is almost 15.1 now at the age of 7. Another filly I had was closer to 14. hands at 2 but is not almost 15 hands at 6.

for my .02 cents I like him alot better than the chestnut mare. He looks to be a big body type.

Difficult to asses the walk and canter.... the most imp gaits. trot can always be improved. But he has a cute trot.

Alot of cantering around in an indoor when someone is chasing them turns into bunny hopping hind legs, the hind legs stay close together, and the inside hind never reaches up under the body.... so that makes it difficult to asses the canter. At times on the straight the canter looks better.

Would be best to see 3 nice relaxed (but still fwd with enough impulsion) gaits, on a longe if he knows how. that would give you better idea on the quality.

Who doesn't like Connemaras?

I like the trot on this guy. But those short legs catch up with him at the canter and would do so at the gallop as well. If you don't mind the short strides, he's certainly a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Fancy That View Post
    I'd take a nice substantial, good-boned, good-hoofed, good-minded Connemara ALL DAY LONG, over a chestnut TB mare
    Hey, what's wrong with a chestnut TB mare?
    "One reason why horses are happy is because they are not trying to impress other horses."
    "Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction"

OMG super cute. The only thing I don't like is his head is a little big and his neck a little short.

He has a nice trot, very balanced at the canter with those natural lead changes.

He has a super brain, trots right into the viewing area to check things out, isn't spooky, and he appears to handle himself well over fences LOL. He analyzes the question, gets his distance, and neatly jumps out of the arena without spazzing out about it.

This one I would go and ride.