The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Quick Q: Are black composite stirrups allowed in the hunter/eq ring?

Thanks!

I believe a new rule in the states at least does not allow black stirrups in Equitation classes.

USEF starting December 2013 you will be eliminated in the Equitation division. Hunters they are fine.

I contacted Royal Riders and they WILL be making a nice silver stirrup very soon.
    Train like you have never won and show like you have never lost!!!

Hunter ring yes, eq ring no, jumper ring yes. Wait to get composites though because RR will be making a silver and it will save you from buying two pairs.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Personally, I wouldn't use them in the hunter ring either. I've heard so many judges talk about "tradition, tradition, tradition",,and although it's not illegal, it may rub someone wrong.
    I understand classes shouldn't be won on the color of one's stirrups, but in big classes in good company, the overall impression of the horse, rider and turnout can influence the judges score.
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

Does this rule apply to shows in Canada?

I heard the reason they're not allowed is because it messes with the way the judge interprets where the riders leg is and they cues they are using. The traditional silver stirrup makes it easier for the judge to see, considering they're looking across the ring and very specific things.
    Save The Date 08-15-2011

Quote Originally Posted by florida foxhunter View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't use them in the hunter ring either. I've heard so many judges talk about "tradition, tradition, tradition",,and although it's not illegal, it may rub someone wrong.
    Well if a judge held a grudge in the hunter ring bc someone had black stirrups and that affected their placings, then in my opinion that judge shouldn't be judging.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

3 members found this post helpful.

What is the advantage of composite stirrups, aside from the fact that they are "in" right now?
    ~*Paige*~

Quote Originally Posted by Paige View Post
    What is the advantage of composite stirrups, aside from the fact that they are "in" right now?
    I am an older rider with knee problems. The wider foot bed and the Dupont "give" to the stirrups for some strange reason allow me to continue to ride without knee pain.

The metal foot grates help with grip too. I know my regular irons with the rubber pads can be slippery. I did change my metal irons to the metal grated foot pad but the non flex of the metal stirrup hurts my knees.
    Train like you have never won and show like you have never lost!!!