The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default VA Sport Horse Auction

Has anyone been to this or heard good/bad things?

I have a nice horse that I really need to sell. She's all wrong for the current market and costing me too much money to board and keep fit. (she's small and a mare).

I don't want to just ditch her or worry that she might end up in a bad place. Is this a legit place to sell a sport horse?

Bought a lovely TB from a fellow cother at the sale almost 2 years ago. It's a great place to buy and sell. I was able to watch my horse go on the flat as well as over fences, had the opportunity to ride (didn't have time if I wanted to vet) and also have a PPE done.

You can always set a reserve! I thought auctions were icky and not somewhere I'd buy from until I went to the va sport horse auction. It really changed my mind!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Also, do a search on here. We've discussed it multiple times and quite a few cothers attend! The horse I bought was a NICE quality horse.

I did a search but I was told by someone recently that last years was a big disappointment and sales were lagging. I think i found the results on line but I was entirely sure.

I didn't go to last years, so that may be true. I'm sure someone else will pipe in that was there!

I bought my TB there at the fall auction 2 yrs ago and know others that have bought and sold, as well. It's very well run but prices tend to be hit or miss. I will say, it's very important to still make sure you market your horse very well w a good description, photos and video, and show him off to the best of his ability w impeccable turnout for the demo. That sounds intuitive but not everyone gets it that you are competing w lots of other sellers....you want to catch the buyers attn for all the right reasons.

However, I'm not sure if they are doing a live auction this year. They've gone to an online format for a lot of their auctions and I have no idea if that is a positive or negative thing. Pros and cons, I suppose!
    You can't fix stupid.

so I just realized that when I googled it the 2012 date came up.. when is the 2013 one??

Right now they only have online sales scheduled, except for a few dispersal sales.
    http://professionalauction.com/

boo.. I guess that could be easier if it works and they sell well.

Small mares are just my type! Too bad I just bought small mare #2.

I've known several people who bought horses through this auction and all were very nice and worked out well for their intended purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith Clark View Post

I have a nice horse that I really need to sell. She's all wrong for the current market and costing me too much money to board and keep fit. (she's small and a mare).
    Do the math on keeping her for 3 months & 6 months vs just posting her in Giveaways & hopefully moving her on quicker: you can still be as particular about her new home as if you were selling her.

Really assess the photos & videos you have for her sales ad - you could do this through pms, though sometimes these sorts of threads will also stay up long enough to get effective help

Hi Mere- Definitely set a reserve- you may end up bringing her home but I have seen the low end horses from there end up with dealers and then at auction. You might be better off dropping the price now (but I have no idea what you are asking)-Also, why dont you send me an ad and pics and I can put her on our assisted placements page? that is pretty active for finding decent homes- it seems like a lot of people are looking now! Bev@MidAtlanticHorseRescue.org
    Be a part of the solution~ Adopt a thoroughbred!
    MidAtlanticHorseRescue.org

Smile try this

When will you again have the opportunity to show your horse to 150 potential buyers?

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith Clark View Post

I don't want to just ditch her or worry that she might end up in a bad place. Is this a legit place to sell a sport horse?
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

the sale is good quality, well run; I would ask are the buyers good horsemen/ women?
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

You have to look at all of the associated cost...there are fees and commissions involved even if the horse Doe Not Sell.
    Besides prep, drive time to and from.

I know of several people who came home and in a few days Did Not have the horse/pony they rode/drove. One instance a consigner told the Selling Agent a mare was for BREEDING only!! had a major issue (not unsoundness) Agent let mare get sold as a riding sports horse..Bad!!!! Buyer did not get paperwork sent with mare disclosing her issues either.

We have an online auction coming up on March 26. Entries close March 15. Our last online auction of Sport Horses averaged $4077 including buyer's premium. Hi seller was $14,805 for a two year old. High selling yearling was $6300 and high selling weanling was $4935. Professional Auction Services has now spit into two separate companies, with my husband Tim Jennings and myself taking over the Hunter and Sport Horse Division. You can now find us on Facebook and the web at Flashpoint Bloodstock, LLC Flashpointbloodstock.com or Sporthorseauctions.com. You can also email me personally at cjauction1@comcast.net

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for the info. I do not want to risk anything bad happening to her. Just because she isn't the right horse for me doesn't mean it's not my responsibility to put her in safe hands. I can afford to keep her, but she's such a nice little mare I hate the idea of her sitting in my field.

Bev, I'll e-mail you. Thanks!