The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My goodness! Thanks for all the replies! I will have to give tights a try!

I am a small 5'2" shortie with a slightly longer thigh and a skinny calf. I also got a distinct small waist to hips "slope", a clear hourglass shape, and most pants (jeans, breeches, etc) they don't fit right they gap in the back and bulk in all the wrong places (knees, butt, etc).

Thanks for the replies! I'll look into tights!
    Telling a worrier to relax is counterproductive. Then we worry about relaxing.

Oh wow, sounds like you're built like me. All the same stats, excepy maybe the hip/thigh area. I have a definite difference between hips and waist, but my hips still tend to be narrow. The tops of my thighs are wider than my hips.

And britches and pants bag in the same exact places on me too, it's annoying.

Do try the tights, I rarely have issues finding ones that fit. And if you prefer a slightly loose fit, just buy a size or two up. Unlike pants or britches, you don't have to worry about exact sizes.

Or if you want the "spanx effect" buy one size down, LOL!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Thanks Misty! It is so hard to find things that fit right with pants length vs waist! My hips are thankfully slightly wider than my thighs but it doesn't always help! I'll definitely give tights a try!

any thoughts on sizing? most are small/med/large but i only know myself in breech size...

I much prefer tights for the convenience and comfort.
    I saw the angel in the marble and I set him free. - Michaelangelo

I have both, breeches I wear if I'm wearing tall boots, and my Irideon tights I wear if I'm trail riding in my western saddle because I can just wear paddock boots or western boots and I don't get rubs on the inside of my legs.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA/ PtHA Mare

I am heat intolerant so I prefer tights. I like how thin they are. I have some Equissentials that I use in winter but I hate how restricted they make me feel. I love the deerskin though. I show in breeches because white tights would show too much. Im not even sure they make white tights.

I ride in Florida in cotton breeches. I have numerous pairs of Tuff Riders and Tailored Sportsman breeches that I wear everyday. No issues with heat. Maybe it is because I think that 80 is cool and 95 is perfect weather. That could just be me.

I don't mind tights, but the ankle elastics kill me. I hate that feeling. I have the boot cut irideon tights and they are the only tights that I wear. They last forever and I roll up the ends when I get out of the barn and they look like yoga pants sorta.

It really is an individual opinion.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

1 members found this post helpful.

Love my Kerrits microcord bootcut tights, just give 'em a little fold and zip my half chaps over them. Hate tights, the waist is never right, the crotch is never right, and velcro? really? under something?? No. Plus I have 15.5 inch calves, but at 5'4'' and 130-140, not fat, so stretch is important :-).

I wanna break out my inner trash and get some jeggings
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

1 members found this post helpful.

I've tried on over a dozen brands/styles of breeches that are less flattering on me than Kerrits boot-cut and winter tights. It figures it's the most expensive breeches that look at all good on me *and* don't cut off circulation in my knees. So, yeah, totally YMMV depending on whether you match the manufacturer's specs.
    ---------------------------

I love these:

http://stickyseat.com/

You can get them in a variety of seats, weights, and styles. They're comfortable and sturdy. No zippers or buttons to break. Just pull em on and go!
    Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it, and created the horse. Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword, O, Horse!
    Anonymous Bedouin legend

Thanks again everyone Honestly I can handle hot temperatures (prefer them!) its just my wallet cries even for a single pair of breeches (even on consignment sometimes!), and I'm paying for stuff that doesn't even fit right because I can't find anything else.

Looks like I need to do some shopping around at places that have lots of brands to try out.

and I hate the elastic band around the ankle as well FLeventer! Actually I hate both the elastic AND the velcro but the velcro is easier to deal with.

There are quite a few brands that now offer breeches & tights with the sock bottoms. That could be an option for those that don't like the velcro or elastic/gripper bottoms.

Just to add my $.02.

I have a couple pairs of breeches with the top that buttons for showing. I never wear them any other time, I just don't find them comfortable.

I have quite a few pairs of TuffRider breeches that pull on, mostly the ribbed ones, which are my favorites.

Then a pair of Irideon three season pull ons that I really don't wear anymore here in Georgia but I loved in Maryland during the winter.

And then several pairs of riding tights...(mostly Irideon) and yes...I'm quite fond of the color choices!

I'd definitely give them a shot.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.