The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Breech vs Tights?

I used to ride in jeans all the time. Now that I've tried breeches I will never go back

That being said I've only owned 2 pairs of breeches so far, and I was curious as to the preference? I myself prefer thicker fabrics that got a good stretch to them, and the tights just don't seem all that sturdy... however I am a broke college student so I may not be looking in the right price range for the good stuff

Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences?
    Telling a worrier to relax is counterproductive. Then we worry about relaxing.

1 members found this post helpful.

It's a matter of preference, I think. I HATE thick fabrics except in the winter when I need the warmth. I like the thin, stretchy tights myself. Sometimes the fabrics look like they would be slippery in the saddle, but I haven't found that to be the case. There is typically a greater selection of fun colors and patterns (since I only ride for fun & in lessons and don't really show.) I have a whole bunch of pairs and rotate them, riding 1-3 times a week, and most have held up for years. Some have gotten little holes, mostly around the knee patches or at the crotch, but they can be sewn up easily. I have mostly Kerrits, Irideon, and Devon-Aire stuff, I think.

I like Irideon riding tights -- I find the fabric to be more durable than it looks, they're really comfortable, the weight is ideal for my climate, and I've been able to pick them up between $40-50 a pair by shopping carefully on the internet.

I no longer have the body I once did so for me I think breeches are a little more flattering.

5 members found this post helpful.

I too have discovered breeches and will never ride in jeans again. While I have a couple pair of breeches I tend to buy tights because they're generally cheaper. I find them very comfortable, durable (for the most part) and since I just trail ride it doesn't break my heart too bad if my horse rubs me against a tree and wrecks them.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

I have both medium weight breeches and some tights. I prefer the breeches as tights can show lumps and bumps in lighter colors. I honestly don't feel the difference while riding, it's mostly for off the horse.
    I really like the Silvia jean breeches from horze. Also their active breech, it's a nice thick fabric that feels durable.
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

It gets pretty hot here in Va, so in the summer I prefer the tights. In the cooler to colder months I wear breeches or fleece line tights.

i have a ton of tights and love them. they really are not THAT thin, they are usually all made very well and i have some that are many years old.

I love the tights. I think it may be because I'm a bit oddly proportioned (super long thigh, very average calf) so finding breeches that are comfortable and don't break my student budget is rather difficult, but the extra stretch in the tights seems to take care of any fit issues

Kerrits are my favorites - they are comfortable and I have some that I've been riding in for more than five years now.

I prefer tights. I wear them often and not always for riding. I also wear them all day long because it's easier to step in and out of boots repeatedly in them. Wearing britches all day, every day is not comfortable.
    I do like the Irideon tights. But a while back Dover had a sale on On Course tights. Since I was tight shopping and expecting to pay $99 a pair and get 2 more...and since the On Course were on sale for $24.99 per pair...I bought 8 pairs (in 4 colors) for the same price as 2 Irideons.
    I already had some On Course so liked them. These are nice sturdy material. Thick. Comfy. And like wearing full length Spanx, LOL! I bought 4 pair in one side and 4 pair a size up. For winter weight vs summer weight. I mean MY weight, LOL!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I'm addicted to Irideon Essential tights. While thin, they wear like iron. They also have supernatural slimming properties! They are like Spanx, seriously. I've gotten lucky with buying discontinued colors, and they haven't been weird colors, either. These are far more flattering than any other tights or breeches I have.
    Last edited by LilyandBaron; Feb. 26, 2013 at 01:01 PM. Reason: stupid autocorrect

As other posters have suggested, I think it depends on how you are built. I have big calves in proportion to the rest of me, so the calf part of breeches is often too small and I find the velcro fastenings uncomfortable. Tights have more wiggle room in general and I prefer them, specifically the Irideon Cadence. Nice solid material, super comfortable, supportive. I've only tried (and liked) the Kerrits winter breeches so I can't speak to the summer ones.

I have to say, I have always worn breetches to ride, and then discovered tropical Riders extended patch Tropix tights. This past summer when it was so hot they were great. I don't think they are the most flattering item of clothing I wear, but when I'm schooling at home they're perfect. I then bought a pair of Kerrits full seat tights (not sure the mdel). I really like those as well. The only time I don't like them is when i'm in my jumping saddle something at the top of my leg rubs a bit (the full seat is sort of split like fits breetches), but in the dressage saddle they're great.

Woops double post
    Last edited by bits619; Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:56 PM.
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

I had tights and then I discovered Horze Active Breeches. I adore them in fact, now that's all I have. They breath and are just the right weight for Florida.

A lot of people don't know that Equissentials will make you any style that you desire-without the deerskin. You can get the French Terry material, which is VERY substancial, at a MUCH lower cost that if you had deerskin on them. The website is down, but you can call the 800 number.

I won't even buy breeches - love tights.

Too bad the Ariat Venturas aren't made anymore. I have 3 pair and love 'em.

Also a fan of the Irideons.... generously sized.

BUT best of the best for long-lasting toughness are Saddlebums tights. I have three pair, one of which is 8 years old and been worn while riding thru assorted shrubbery, sticker bushes & brush and have not one snag, pull or stretch. Worth every penny and, once you order, they keep your measurements & preferences on permanent file.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

The one down side of tights is that they usually don't have pockets. This is usually only a problem in hot weather, however, because at other times of the year, I generally am wearing at least a lightweight vest with pockets on top.

Tights fan here. I don't even own breeches anymore. I simply find tights much more comfortable (probably, like others have said, because of my build). My tights are all kerritts brand. I love them.

I have both types. It's easier to fit tights than breeches, but breeches can be comfortable if they fit properly.
    In really hot weather, I always wear tights with as breathable of fabric as possible. The summer version of Tropical Riders is very cool. They don't hold anything in though, so they are not the most flattering pants. Once the temperature goes above a certain point, that becomes less important to me.
    In really cold weather, I have a pair of fleece lined tights that I like. Back when I had only one pair of breeches, I just wore long underwear underneath them in the winter.
    When the weather isn't extreme, I usually wear breeches. There are times when I do go in somewhere or other on the way home from the barn, and I feel more comfortable going out in public in breeches than tights.