The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Adjusting a dog to living with a very friendly cat UPDATE

So, I just got a new foster cat and he is super lovey towards me and my dog. My dog has lived with cats in the past and know to tolerate them and just ignored them and they ignored him. It worked. Well this one wants his attention and wants to love on him. My dog is not totally cool with this. I try to tell the cat to leave him alone, but you know how well cats listen.

He is pretty tolerant of the cat, but doesn't love the cat rubbing on him and circling around his legs. He told the cat that and the cat seemed to get the idea for about a day, but it back to trying to be super friendly with him.

My dog I guess just doesn't in general like other animals besides humans and doesn't feel the need for animal companionship.

The main reason I am fostering the kitty is because he is FIV+ and all the other organizations fosters have cats. Also, I have 3 cats at home so want my dog to remain tolerable of them now that my roommate moved out with her 2 cats.

They can both sit on the couch with me without an issue. One on each side. My dog just doesn't love the affection towards him. Is there any way to work on this with him or do I need to just try to keep the cat from doing it. They will never be together unsupervised, so I can always deflect the cat if necessary.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    Last edited by Beethoven; Mar. 16, 2013 at 09:03 PM.

Two thoughts, two different directions. One thought is to reward dog when he tolerates even a little rub from the cat. Tell him yes or good boy, treat. The other suggestion is more for the cat: keep a little spray bottle of water and "nail him" when he gets to rubbing on the dog.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

1 members found this post helpful.

Are you worried that your dog will snap at the cat sometime? Or do you just wish to make your dog's life easier by keeping the cat off him?

If it's the latter, I'd let the two of them work it out. If you were kind, you could praise your dog for accepting the cat's attention. But crikey, there are worse things in a dog's life than a cat that bugs him.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Are you worried that your dog will snap at the cat sometime? Or do you just wish to make your dog's life easier by keeping the cat off him?

If it's the latter, I'd let the two of them work it out. If you were kind, you could praise your dog for accepting the cat's attention. But crikey, there are worse things in a dog's life than a cat that bugs him.
    He will/has snap at him. He just does big bark and growl 3 times thing. He has never escalated beyond that. He did it that first day that the cat was all over him. He has no front incisors or canines, so really not risk to the cat, but I would rather him not do it. I certainly don't want him to think is appropriate to do so.

I have been praising/treating him when the cat is in his area and he is just leaving him alone. The cat tried to jump directly onto him last night on the couch. I block the cat from doing so and my dog also didn't have a reaction which I was happy about. For the rest of the evening the dog laid on one side of me and the cat on the other and all were happy.

Is kitteh young and/or temporary?

If so, and if you have the bandwidth in your life to police the cat-n-dog relationship, go for it.

Otherwise, I do trust them to work it out. Your dog sounds kind and reasonable. Unless the cat is crazy-persistant, I don't think he will "untrain" your dog with respect to cats. As cat grows up and gets a sense of self-preservation, he'll learn the "three growls and you're out" law.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Well just wanted to update. The cat and the dog seemed to of worked things out on their own for the most part. In the end, its the cat that I have to get after the most. He started not letting my dog walk through the house. He would get up and run to the dog hissing and smacking his face. I think for the most part I have that stopped. My dog took it for about 6 times then finally barked at him and put him on his back and then turned and walked away. My dog thought he was gonna be in big trouble, but at that point I didn't blame him for reacting. The cat was "attacking" him for no reason and all he did was say knock it off and leave the situation. I was actually very proud of him. My dog has become very tolerant of the cat. I can tell he is not always loving it, but he just deals with him. Then there are times where they actively interact and my dog smells him all over.

Overall, I am happy of their progress and hope that it continues in the right direction.

Here are a couple pictures:
    http://instagram.com/p/W5lZdLECdo/

http://instagram.com/p/W245jgkCZM/

http://instagram.com/p/WlFyYrECXH/

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ps4aca666f.jpg

Adorable pics! I love your kitty! Glad to hear they've figured things out.

Nothing to add, but your dog is a saint & you are an angel for fostering that kitteh The world needs more people & dogs like you two! Some cats just don't understand the pecking order....or know that they're just little cats.

I have a Siamese cat that loves dogs. She doesn't like other cats, she doesn't like people (except me), but she worships dogs. When she was a kitten I had a big GSD who would pick her up and carry her in his mouth. He's been gone many years and she wants the same kind of attention from my present dogs, but they just don't give it to her. It's really quite sad to see her suck up to the dogs and want luvins so much and they just ignore her.

StG

Does this cat sleep "spread eagle," belly all exposed often?

Just wondering because that goes with a certain kind of personality to me.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Does this cat sleep "spread eagle," belly all exposed often?

Just wondering because that goes with a certain kind of personality to me.
    Yes most everyday. He has a very similar personality to my orange tabby back home who always sleeps the same way.