The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

we had at least a week of over 100 degrees this past summer and the rest of the time it was just unbearable.

I was volunteering at the KHP in the end of June, staying at the campground- I certainly remember some extreme heat last summer in Lexington- it was hot enough that they cancelled the afternoon classes at the ARABIAN show. (I have got to hand it to those horses who really proved their breed out in the warm up areas- hardly breaking a sweat while lounging around (wink))

http://weather.herald.com/history/ai...q_statename=NA

http://www.wlky.com/news/local-news/...z/-/index.html

"Broughton said the woman who leases the farm might have been trying to rescue abandoned animals. No charges were immediately filed."

Yeah right.
    Rescue is to stick animals into trailers and stalls and let them starve to death.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

http://www.wdrb.com/story/21352908/d...odford-co-farm

At least it's on all major news stations.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

From the earliest news article:

"The farm at 1975 Woodlake Road is leased by Cheryll Jeffers, who also goes by the last name Ford, said Sgt. Keith Broughton of the Woodford County Sheriff's Department."

Is this Sherry Ford from Peace Of Mind Rescue? Cheryll/Sherry Ford aka Jeffers?

The names were bugging me after reading this earlier, so I thought I'd ask.

Whoever it is, the situation is sick, sick, sick.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    http://www.wlky.com/news/local-news/...z/-/index.html

"Broughton said the woman who leases the farm might have been trying to rescue abandoned animals. No charges were immediately filed."

Yeah right.
    Rescue is to stick animals into trailers and stalls and let them starve to death.
    We need a public outcry. I'm not sure who handles Animal Control for Woodford County. I'll do some checking and post the info.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

i live in lexington, ky and unfortunately ky has some of the worst animal abuse laws in the country. she probably will get by with nothing but paying a small fine no record no nothing. it absolutely awful that the authorities wont do anyhing when called. come on ky wake up!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Where's Fairfax to say that it is a conspiracy and the county just wants the land that she's renting (maybe they are going after a sublet?). Or maybe they want those valuable purebred dogs pictured, or that valuable appearing horse, goat or chicken? And the horse pictured probably only looks skinny because they rubbed dirt in the creases where the ribs are to make him look skinny. And maybe AC brought in the dead animals to "stage" it to look like a neglect case.
    If you bothered to read rather than just type, Jetsmom, you would have understood that I am against ILLEGAL or poorly conducted seizures. Everytime a seizure takes place and laws have been broken or protocols not followed, it makes it easier for the individuals who should have their animals seized, to dispute and win. I am currently dealing with a case where they took the 85 year old owner of some horses and handcuffed him to the kitchen table..The day before the seizure they put a claim in for the property....this involves 17 horses and they are claiming (the rescue) that it will cost $3000.00 PER HORSE PER MONTH to rehab them. OF course they are all weight listed as 1 however even the county vet is not supporting them.

Why don't you purchase a nice horse...take a nice ride through the country side and move on with your life.

I do not know anything about this seizure and I would say that dead animals on the property if they died due to neglect would justify it. Hopefully they cross all the t's and dot the i's so the person will be charged.

Seizures I have worked against have not involved the discovery of dead animals on the property.

Fairfax and jetsmom, let's not derail another thread, please.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post

Yeah right.
    But it keeps them from going to slaughter! (please understand that I'm being a bit sarcastic here) Those who ranted and raved and got Congress to pass the 'no equine slaughter' created the 'rescue' monster that allows this to happen. Of COURSE there are wonderful, humane, intelligent rescues, but there are also too many of this kind.

What is the answer?
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Fairfax and jetsmom, let's not derail another thread, please.
    I absolutely agree. Thank you for putting it back on the right track

Quote Originally Posted by PrimroseM View Post
    From the earliest news article:

"The farm at 1975 Woodlake Road is leased by Cheryll Jeffers, who also goes by the last name Ford, said Sgt. Keith Broughton of the Woodford County Sheriff's Department."

Is this Sherry Ford from Peace Of Mind Rescue? Cheryll/Sherry Ford aka Jeffers?

The names were bugging me after reading this earlier, so I thought I'd ask.

Whoever it is, the situation is sick, sick, sick.
    No, Sherry is still kicking around Middle TN. Last I heard she was interviewing for a demo person postion for Natural Balance pet foods. *sigh*
    "Farriers are the hairdressers of the horse world. They know everything about everybody..."-Lildunhorse

Quote Originally Posted by ccoronios View Post
    But it keeps them from going to slaughter! (please understand that I'm being a bit sarcastic here) Those who ranted and raved and got Congress to pass the 'no equine slaughter' created the 'rescue' monster that allows this to happen. Of COURSE there are wonderful, humane, intelligent rescues, but there are also too many of this kind.

What is the answer?
    The lack of slaughter in the US has nothing to do with abusers and hoarders. Nothing at all.

If it was the lack of slaughter, how do you explain the dead non-equids?

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ccoronios View Post

What is the answer?
    Slaughter has nothing to do with it. There are some very high volume killer buyers in KY. Also, the largest horse neglect case in TX happened just outside Dallas Crowne slaughterhouse when it was open. The horses were owned by a VET. Hoarding/starving is a mental issue...not dependent on having slaughter available (which it still is).

1 members found this post helpful.

This is Ruth Jeffers from jeffersequine. I am not related to the lady in Kentucky. However, if I were related, or had even just heard about it, I would have stuck my nose in there, and tried to do whatever I could to have helped. Several of our employees have actually rescued horses from customers who were struggling to take care of them. We all have rescuer's hearts, and can't stand to see an animal neglected or abused.

5 members found this post helpful.

Thank you Ruth Jeffers. I am very sorry this person shares a last name.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible