The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default More dead horses...Midway, KY.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Good Lord.....

with them involved though:

"and representatives of the Kentucky Department of Agriculture visited the farm about 3:30 p.m. and found the animals."

it will all just be swept under the rug.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

I have a real hard time with my philosophy that people have a right to privacy when this is what they are doing in private.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

4 members found this post helpful.

I am unable to flag "likes" to posts as the advertisements have taken over a majority of the actual comment boxes. If we protect those who abuse, starve, neglect, train inhumanely all for the purpose of protecting the humans and not the animals, then the law is on the wrong side of the fence.

3 members found this post helpful.

"They probably are a little bit neglected," the guy said. Ya think?!

5 members found this post helpful.

Why does her name sound familiar? Is she on ABF?

Her last name is the same as a pet supply store with an online presence although I don't think she has anything to do with it (at least I HOPE not). Her name sounded familiar to me and that's what I googled up.
    Incredible Invisible

The property is for sale and she was leasing it. How the hell does this happen? Do people just ignore it? There was another case in KY a couple of months back...19 horses. A friend of mine has one, she didn't think he was going to make it.

They don't know if they are going to press charges??? wowww

A little neglect.. WOW..

She was going to hand over the dogs? Really? Their mummified remains or the skeletonized ones?
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

2 members found this post helpful.

Laura, I don't think people can see it. If you've got them all locked in a tobacco barn or out in the back forty who is going to stumble on it?

For all we know it was the mailman or the UPS guy with a parcel knocking on the door and sticking their heads in and finding The Tomb. How often would that happen though - in our family we're up at the house and there is no reason for anyone to poke their heads into the shop or the run-ins.

KY is bad and good. Things I could never have done in my home state due to government intrusion I can do here. I can move a lot of earth and build a pond without selling my first born. But by the same token my neighbor's blasted donkey and pony are unkempt, unfed and over here once a month and I can't get AC to do squat. I'm sure this is another case of "my trusted barn worker quit and I just couldn't keep up". Blech
    Incredible Invisible

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Laura, I don't think people can see it. If you've got them all locked in a tobacco barn or out in the back forty who is going to stumble on it?

For all we know it was the mailman or the UPS guy with a parcel knocking on the door and sticking their heads in and finding The Tomb. How often would that happen though - in our family we're up at the house and there is no reason for anyone to poke their heads into the shop or the run-ins.

KY is bad and good. Things I could never have done in my home state due to government intrusion I can do here. I can move a lot of earth and build a pond without selling my first born. But by the same token my neighbor's blasted donkey and pony are unkempt, unfed and over here once a month and I can't get AC to do squat. I'm sure this is another case of "my trusted barn worker quit and I just couldn't keep up". Blech
    I'm sure you're right. Yes, I reported my neighbor to A/C a couple of years ago. His horses (10 or 12 of them), with foals by their side were in deplorable shape...all ribs showing, spines and hip bones, in a 1 acre dirt paddock with nothing to eat. A/C said they looked "fine."

Oversight in this state is non existent. Don't get me started on code violations we keep finding in our house. Either the building inspectors were blind or crooked. I'm banking on crooked.

1 members found this post helpful.

Incredible Invisible

Looks like they're collecting evidence to prosecute. Another crazy hoarder posing as a rescue.

2 members found this post helpful.

Dang... that grey look on the downwards hill. Only horse they showed though.
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Where's Fairfax to say that it is a conspiracy and the county just wants the land that she's renting (maybe they are going after a sublet?). Or maybe they want those valuable purebred dogs pictured, or that valuable appearing horse, goat or chicken? And the horse pictured probably only looks skinny because they rubbed dirt in the creases where the ribs are to make him look skinny. And maybe AC brought in the dead animals to "stage" it to look like a neglect case.

7 members found this post helpful.

Not blind or crooked. My coworker is reconstructing a ca 1820 log cabin and is on ten acres, therefore "farm exempt". He got a mortgage from a regular bank for this project (and we all know how hard it can be to get a mortgage for non-standard farm properties) and they are the ones telling him he has to have cabinets in his kitchen, not the building inspector. His electrical does need to be inspected and the guy regularly makes him tear it out and put it back in properly, or at least different!
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Not blind or crooked. My coworker is reconstructing a ca 1820 log cabin and is on ten acres, therefore "farm exempt". He got a mortgage from a regular bank for this project (and we all know how hard it can be to get a mortgage for non-standard farm properties) and they are the ones telling him he has to have cabinets in his kitchen, not the building inspector. His electrical does need to be inspected and the guy regularly makes him tear it out and put it back in properly, or at least different!
    I've heard about the 10 acre exemption and you're right, just need an electrical inspection and a septic inspection. But mine had permits pulled and was supposedly inspected. And I had a home inspection when I bought it...for all the good that did me. He did pick up on the porch roof needed to be replaced, but heck, I saw that. Silly me, I was naive to politics and building code enforcement in KY.

In any case, I hope they hang this woman out to dry.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    . . .
    In any case, I hope they hang this woman out to dry.
    What I can't believe, well, I can, is that this place is sandwiched in between the freeway and a main route to the State Capitol, and it's a route I travel to visit a family member. But the access road is a side road and the barn is well off and away from any of the roads.

We had hideous heat this past summer so I understand that perhaps some of the animals might have been overcome, we keep rabbits and we were sprinkling cages and putting ice in water and still lost babies and a couple of adults, but who but a hoarder leaves them to mummify in the trailer or lying around the property?

It looks to be a nice big place and could be so wonderful for the animals - what a waste.
    Incredible Invisible

Really, I don't remember it being unusually hot. Now 5 years ago...absolutely.