The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default STOLEN MUNNINGS PAINTINGS

Stolen from Hobcaw Barony, in SC. The theft was discovered in July, 2003. The FBI conducted a thorough investigation but closed the case without resolution. Three Munnings, one finished portrait and 2 studies were stolen, along with a few landcapes by Louis Aston Knight and some Audubon bird prints. There is a reward of $25,000 for information leading to the return.

So, does someone you know have a Munnings they can't quite explain how they afforded it? Because the finished portrait is worth a cool one million. So if it's hanging over a fireplace in a friend's house, you might want to call the FBI. Here's a link to pictures of the missing artwork:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/rmw...2F02_ss.html#0

If it's hanging over YOUR fireplace, well, you might want to put it in a closet!
    Last edited by Kryswyn; Feb. 25, 2013 at 09:28 PM. Reason: more info
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

2 members found this post helpful.

My friend's would only point out that guy was in a chair seat, so I never hung that one up.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    My friend's would only point out that guy was in a chair seat, so I never hung that one up.

Well I would have to point out that that guy is a woman. She was quite a champion cross country/jumper rider in her day.
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

4 members found this post helpful.

Can you tell us more about her?

I recently discoveredthat my grandmother's first husband,Herbert Hughes, was a friend and neighbor of Munnings. But that was long after they were divorced, not on speaking terms, and both had remarried. I still thought it was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    Well I would have to point out that that guy is a woman. She was quite a champion cross country/jumper rider in her day.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

1 members found this post helpful.

I believe that the authorities have a pretty good idea who stole the goods, but the suspect obviously either has some very loyal friends.....or it's hanging in the private loo!
    I thought I read earlier that somone posting here visited Castle House - one of my favorite haunts! I try to go over every year, so I'll be haunting the place again in May.
    Did Herbert Hughes live in Dedham, or was he a neighbor in cornwall or Mendham? - interesting!

PS: Munnings talks about Belle Baruch in his autobiography: "Before going to stay at the Hotel du Palais at Biarritz with Mr. Prince, I was inveigled into going to Pau to paint an American, a Miss Belle Baruch, daughter of Bernard Baruch. she wanted a portrait of herself and an Anglo-Arab, a horse that had won in International high-jumping contests in Europe. Her large, blue-and-silver Chrysler took me to Pau and brought me back to Biarritz. It is a strange thing, last week a letter came from Miss Baruch in New York enclosing a photograph lately taken of herself on her Anglo-Arab, Souriant, the high jumper. The horse is still alive, and must be thirty. I painted him in 1932, and he was then twelve years old or more."
    He goes on to quote from the letter he received from Miss Baruch in 1950, in which she says, "I always remember your saying that a horse ought not to me hog-maned, but should have a mane, and you promptly painted one in (temporarily) on the study you were doing of Souriant at your studio in Chelsea while I was sweltering in hunting kit and top hat".
    ("The Second Burst", pp 330-333)
    I gather from their correspondence that they came to admire one another a great deal.
    When Miss Baruch died in 1964, she left her 17,500 acre estate in Georgetown, SC, "Hobcaw Barony" as a research facility, now being used by the University of SC and Clemson U.

3 members found this post helpful.

I have always loved that painting and his non-horse related works too. If I were to ever win the lottery I would have a couple.

Exquisite work! And a great story!
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

What beautiful paintings! I sure wish one was hanging over my fireplace. (legally, that is. )

Quote Originally Posted by Beth Munnings-Winter View Post
    Did Herbert Hughes live in Dedham, or was he a neighbor in cornwall or Mendham? - interesting!
    Herbert Hughes lived in Chelsea, in London. But his elder sister Lena Hughes lived in Dedham, later joined by his father and stepmother, so Herbert and his second family visited often. (So I was mis-remembering slighty when I said he was a neighbor. It was his sister who was the neighbor.)

From "Chelsea Footprints a Thirties Chronicle", By Angela Hughes (his daughter) pg 94

"United in domestic strife and a love of horses, Lena's neighbors Violet and A.J. Munnings lived at Castle House, Dedham.
    When he was sober he was kind, hospitable and a good listener, he liked talking about books and H.H. found him good company, but there were days when marital discord spilled over."

"When she (Violet) came down, she told us that before dressing she had discovered two colts had walked into A.J.'s studio and were marching up and down admiring themselves in the mirror and stopping now and then to look at the canvases." (June 1930)

and then pg 95
    "Munnings is a great-hearted fellow, a wonderful talker, no doubt a trying husband but nevertheless a great host. Violet is a thoroughly decent sort, but probably ony her real self on the hunting field." (Boxing Day 1932)

Herbert himself was a musician and composer, most well known for the music to "My Lagan Love", "She Moved Through the Fair" and "Down By The Salley Gardens".
    Last edited by Janet; Feb. 26, 2013 at 09:47 PM.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

What a wonderful story about the Hughes and Munnings!
    They could, of course, have been neighbors in Chelsea, too. Alfred and Violet's address there was Bildon House, 96 Chelsea Park Gardens.
    I must try to find a copy of "Chelsea Footprints" -two colts in the studio! Never heard that one before. I think the place always had some strange thing going on, given its eccentric occupants.
    How interesting about Herbert Hughes' musicla connections - I love "She Moved Through the Fair".

Herbert Hughes' Chelsea address was 125 and 127 Old Church St.

Google says it is 0.4 mi from 96 Chelsea Park Gardens.
    Janet

They were neighbors!!! I wonder if Hughes belonged to the Chelsea Arts Group ~ that may have been the connection (unless he was also a horseman)?

Just saw the discussion of the missing art on The Antiques Roadshow, part 2 of Myrtle Beach. A retired FBI agent said the investigation isn't active, as they have no new leads. But to call with any new ones, and they'll be glad to reopen.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes