The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spin-off: Replacing hunt coat buttons?

With all of the new hunt coat trends—piping, four buttons, new fabrics—what do you guys think about updating buttons on an existing coat to something a little more fun/non-traditional?

I have a brilliant old Pytchley that's still totally show ring appropriate (dark grey, nothing crazy), but I think its plain black buttons (the original foxheads) would look very cool replaced with dark brown horn buttons, like these: http://www.the-journal-of-style.com/...tons-Brown.jpg. Cool, or crazy?

(It also gives me an excuse to visit the most wonderful store in the world—and the only store solely dedicated to selling buttons—Tender Buttons: http://tenderbuttons-nyc.com/)

God, what a COOL store! My grandma has a box full of all sorts of pretty buttons, and when I was little, I would sort them into little piles and pick out my favorites!

I think it's a really neat idea to update a member of your show wardrobe
    "You either go to the hospital or you get back on! Hospital or on!"

I'm on Team Cool!!

Thanks for posting this place - DEFINITELY hitting it up on my trip to NYC next month! I think updating the buttons on an otherwise classic coat is a great way to spruce it up!

Now that I think about it, the possibilities on this are endless. You could switch out black buttons on a light light grey coat for ivory ones in the summer! You could do subtle floral ones! You could highlight with a tone that might be in the windowpane. Thanks so much for posting this idea!

Yay, I'm so glad you guys think it's a normal, fun idea! I was worried I'd look like I pulled a blazer out of grandma's closet, but I guess not.

But, yes, it's an awesome store—I've updated several regular, inexpensive wardrobe pieces with buttons from there and have gotten SO many compliments, so I figured why not show jackets?