The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Butt high 6 year old

So TB that just turned 6 this month is still higher in his hind end than his withers. He moves fine but getting him engaged in his hind end is sometimes short lived. He has a nice large sloped shoulder and is a lovely mover and jumps very well.

I noticed he was butt high last fall, I am hoping he grows a bit up front. If he doesn't will that create physical problems ? You can only tell standing next to him in the cross ties, under tack you cannot see it.

I also know that my other older TB who was started into real work and jumping at 6 never really engaged his hind end until he was about 9-10. This had to do with me getting pregnant with my son soon after I bought him and having little money for training I'm sure. However, his movement really came together later for him. My mare, well she had a lovely jump but could never really engage her hind end.

Anyway, just seeking the wisdom of the COTHers. I am not very experienced with young horses, he is the youngest horse I have had. Thank you !

My Small Junior was permanently butt high. Also a Thoroughbred. In my experience, as hard as they are to package, the downhill horses typically jump and move very, very well.

I wouldn't worry about it if the rest of him is put together well. It can make for a touch harder ride, obviously, but I don't think it contributes to any major unsoundness or physical issues. Others' mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    My Small Junior was permanently butt high. Also a Thoroughbred. In my experience, as hard as they are to package, the downhill horses typically jump and move very, very well.

I wouldn't worry about it if the rest of him is put together well. It can make for a touch harder ride, obviously, but I don't think it contributes to any major unsoundness or physical issues. Others' mileage may vary.
    So, I can breathe ? I am stressing over this big time....

Sorry no help here, but I must say when I read the title of this thread my thoughts went,
    "Wow what a great insult for an annoying cocky little kid..." Then I realized we were talking conformation, not jerk kids.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    So, I can breathe ? I am stressing over this big time....
    I would DEFINITELY not be stressing over it. Let me find a photo of my horse stood up to give you an example. Obviously, someone will find fault with it, but in my personal experience, it makes for a more difficult to ride horse, but not a less capable horse.

ETA: Here you go: http://farm1.staticflickr.com/27/109...7a74f037_o.jpg

It was just an inch or two, but definitely butt high.

Wow, he is lovely. Thanks !

I work with a lovely little coming 8 year old warmblood mare who is butt-high. She doesn't feel or ride like it. My more conformationally correct mare is harder to package than the rump high one.

My High AO/GP horse is butt high. I picked him up on the track as a late 5yo. He was 16.1 or 16.2 and nice and level. Over the course of the next 6 months or so he got butt high and grew a lot. Now he's 17h at his withers and 17.1h (and a bit) at his butt. He's prone to getting a bit downhill and heavy, but I think that's mostly because his neck comes out a bit low. He's a powerhouse behind and doesn't have a problem rocking back on his hind end. Hasn't hampered him at all, unless he would be able to jump around 1.80m otherwise

Here he is a couple of years after coming off of the track. It's funny to look at this picture because it makes me realized how much he's changed in the last few years. He's got a much better topline now. Guess it's time for some new photos!

How does he look stifle to elbow?

Looking from wither to butt can be deceiving. Stifle to elbow is a far "truer" view of downhill vs level vs uphill.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    Here he is a couple of years after coming off of the track. It's funny to look at this picture because it makes me realized how much he's changed in the last few years. He's got a much better topline now. Guess it's time for some new photos!
    Has that great "jumper's bump" on his croup even in that shot.

Thanks PNWjumper, he is really nice. My guy is very well balanced and has a nice short back and a rather large hind end. I sometimes just wish people around me knew more about babies and how they progress in terms of physical development. I actually thought at 4 years old TBs were done growing, I'm always learning something new.