The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Food for "healthy" dog

Miniature poodle who is in good health, body score of 2.5 (up from 2) and generally a healthy no issue kind of dog. Good appetite for kibble and is currently on wellness core original. She is not active, spends 10 hours in a kennel 4 days per week, 2 hours in a car and then sleeps through the night. Of course she goes for runs throughtout the day but she is not at all even close to a working dog. On weekends (always 3 day weekends) she runs around at the barn for a few hours and goes for longer walks.

I know wellness core is a good food, but price has gone up. I have also liked Orijen (although my older dog cant tolerate it), and have heard Acana is good as well.

Between the three for the dog described above, which one is most suitable to sustain a weight for an intermittently active dog. I have loved Orijen on one of my older dogs, but current geriatric does NOT do well on it

I've been really happy with Orijen, but it is quite pricy. I don't know how it compares to the Wellness Core, dollars-wise. You might be able to feed a little less, as I do think the calorie count is a bit higher, so there might be some cost savings there. Of course, if you're looking to maintain weight with a certain volume, maybe you don't want a higher calorie count. If you want something that's not quite as high test, I'd think Acana would be an excellent option.

FWIW, I have two 70 lb Ridgebacks, one 8 months and one 8 years. They play very hard on their own and we get them out pretty regularly. They both eat about 3 1/2 cups of Orijen Six Fish or Regional Red per day. Before we got the puppy, the older dog maintained fine on 2 cups per day.

I have a 10 year old Jack started gaining weight on the Acana Ranchlands or Rangelands (buffalo one) even though the 10 year old Lab was keeping her weight well. I switched to one called Simply Natural made by a company called Natural Answer of Loma Linda, Ca. It is called the Life Stage formula with duck and potato. He is losing and no longer has the rolls of fat around his shoulders. Highly recommend. He does only get a handful and a half twice a day, a few treats also but that is it. The difference I suppose is that it is 22% protein whereas the others are in the low 30s.
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Thanks, I would really like to stay in the brands mentioned (as I can get them at slightly discounted prices). I certainly dont need a food for weight control, spine and ribs are still easily palpable on the young one, and the older one is also on the leaner side as well

Acana is lower protein, but I dont necessarily think she needs anything higher as she isnt active. The older dog leaves the bed for the couch, then the couch for her food...then back to the bed...and twice a day visits to the yard for a pee

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    I have a 10 year old Jack started gaining weight on the Acana Ranchlands or Rangelands (buffalo one) even though the 10 year old Lab was keeping her weight well. I switched to one called Simply Natural made by a company called Natural Answer of Loma Linda, Ca. It is called the Life Stage formula with duck and potato. He is losing and no longer has the rolls of fat around his shoulders. Highly recommend. He does only get a handful and a half twice a day, a few treats also but that is it. The difference I suppose is that it is 22% protein whereas the others are in the low 30s.
    Well, the Acana you mention is 422 kcal/cup. The Simply Natural is 350 kcal/cup. If you're feeding the same amount, that's a pretty significant difference, especially for such a little dog. Not terribly surprising that he's losing weight.

When I had a fat dog, I wanted a lowish calorie food, so I could feed her more, so she would feel fuller. Now that I have harder keepers, I want as high as possible, really, so I can feed them less.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    Thanks, I would really like to stay in the brands mentioned (as I can get them at slightly discounted prices). I certainly dont need a food for weight control, spine and ribs are still easily palpable on the young one, and the older one is also on the leaner side as well
    How many cups are you feeding now? If you're looking to save some dollars, the Acana MIGHT be the way to go, as long as you don't have to really increase the amount to hit the same calorie count.

Although if you can get Orijen at a discount, SCORE. I'm jealous Go with that!

Right now she is getting 2/3 cup per day of wellness core, and the older dog is getting 1 1/3 cup. I would be very willing to feed them a lower calorie food so they can eat more bulk (they LOVE to eat), but dont want it to be all filler. I think I would have to cut back on the amount of food if it was Orijen and instead of taking 30 seconds to eat a meal, it may only take 15.

Wellness Core and Orijen are the same price, and saving a bit of $ is great but not totally essential. I want to feed the best food for them, and ideally have them both onthe same diet. The Acana (Pacifica) is about 40% cheaper which is a bonus, but again not the biggest factor in my choice. The older girl had increased kidney values when on Orijen for 6 months, once I took her off and switched her to Wellness her creatine values came back to a high normal and have been maintaining there for a year now. It could have easily been non-food related, but im a little hesitant trying again...hmm....what to do....she is 13.

Acana is still a really, really high quality food, with excellent quality ingredients. The difference between the two is incremental, I think.

I feed the Orijen because I really want the "high test" option and the really high calorie count for my dogs. But if you don't need that--and, frankly, if I didn't need that!--I'd think Acana would be an excellent choice. Especially since your older dog did not do well on Orijen previously. Feeding two different kibbles is a hassle :P One of the Regionals might be a good compromise between the classic Acana and Orijen, since they are grain free?

Thats what I was thinking. The regionals are $40 for a 13kg bag, where the Orijen is $60. I know they arent super high in protein, but I can always switch to Orijen once the older one is no longer around (how horrible does that sound). I was thinking regionals anyway as she eats enough grain cleaning up after the horses!!

Wow. Excellent price! I pay about 90 bucks for the big bag of Orijen. Sigh.

Its the one perk of working at a vet hospital Get supplies and food at cost. Unfortunatley they dont carry horse feed, if they did I`d be set!

Orijen and Acana is also canadian, so I think its a little cheaper to buy here anyway...probably not by much though.

I would go ahead and give the Acana a try! I switched my dogs from Orijen Adult to Acana Wild Prairie and saw NO difference in the dogs.

And that was a good thing as I was just trying to keep costs down...between the two I was feeding about 9 cups a day (one bag was barely lasting two weeks=$$).

why not go raw? inactive dogs don't need carbohydrates at all- only very active dogs need grain or potatoes in their diet, and feeding carbs to inactive dogs is not a good idea, healthwise. There are a lot of pre-made raw options these days that are very easy to obtain and feed- many of them look and can be handled exactly like dry kibble. If your dog is in need of a bit of weight, look for the higher-fat raw options. Dogs bodies are designed to run on fat, not potatoes.
    These products may look expensive, but because they have no fillers you don't need to feed huge amounts of them.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    why not go raw? inactive dogs don't need carbohydrates at all- only very active dogs need grain or potatoes in their diet, and feeding carbs to inactive dogs is not a good idea, healthwise. There are a lot of pre-made raw options these days that are very easy to obtain and feed- many of them look and can be handled exactly like dry kibble. If your dog is in need of a bit of weight, look for the higher-fat raw options. Dogs bodies are designed to run on fat, not potatoes.
    These products may look expensive, but because they have no fillers you don't need to feed huge amounts of them.
    Raw doesnt really work for my lifestyle, the dogs often eat at work, at the barn, in the car, horse shows etc. They are often given treats with their dinner(raw or cooked chicken breast) when at home but need to just store kibbles in every area they may be at during dinner time. Im really not organized enough to pack their food in thermal bags. The premade raw diets I have seen have to be refridgerated?

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    The premade raw diets I have seen have to be refridgerated?
    There's freeze dried raw, but good lord, is it expensive.

In fact, every pre packaged raw I've ever looked into was out of this world expensive, at least for my big dogs.