The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sales question.

I'm not sure if it's bad form or not to ask this here, but here goes.

A friend with a horse for sale asked me if the Chronicle ads were worth it. Since I have no idea how effective they are I told her I'd ask here.

So, what are your opinions?

Thanks.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Last year I rode for a lady who posted a TB fox hunter for 25k in the Chronicle of the Horse & I thought for sure with the market he would be there a while but he sold pretty quickly (less than a month). So I would say it gets out to a lot of people & people who will spend money on horses. Of course I think it depends on the horse if you have a quarter horse or paint probably not worth it but a dressage, eventer, hunter/jumper or fox hunter, I would say worth it!!

I have sold horses via COTH classifieds before, but the last time I advertised I did not get the response I hoped for. I am considering trying again, but I think it is not as good as it used to be. I think that is evident by the fact that there used to be a couple pages of horse and pony ads, and now there are usually only a few ads total. Obviously people must not be getting the response they desire. I'm still game to try again, but it's fairly expensive for a one time ad, so a lot of people probably just advertise at the usual online choices. JMHO. I adore COTH, but with the classifieds were more resonably priced. I used to LOVE to look through the horse ads, even when I wasn't shopping. I'm a classified ad junkie.
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

There are lots of sites you can use to advertise horses for sale. COTH is one of them. Online listings are the cheapest way to go, so put the horse up on as many as you can that are reputable.
    Hyperion Stud, LLC.
    Europe's Finest, Made in America
    WWW.HYPERIONSTUD.com
    Standing Elite and Approved Stallions