The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Liniment that wont stain my white horse

I'm looking for a liniment to use regularly after schooling on my white legged and white backed horse (a PMU paint).

Green cool stains him green, my sore no more leaves him tinged brown.... any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Last edited by normandy_shores; Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:34 AM. Reason: spelling

I use Vetrolin on my grey. I dilute it with water and sponge him off. No green stain.

Wintergreen alcohol I use also. I put in a spray bottle and spray it on my guy after a good workout rinse. No green tint.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Quote Originally Posted by FLeventer View Post
    I use Vetrolin on my grey. I dilute it with water and sponge him off. No green stain.

Wintergreen alcohol I use also. I put in a spray bottle and spray it on my guy after a good workout rinse. No green tint.

Wintergreen alcohol? hmmm... that actually works/cools? full strength? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by normandy_shores View Post
    Rubbing alchohol actually works great. It's the only thing that won't blister one of my horses. Also great for removing saddle marks/sweat stains, and spritzing yourown sweaty, flattened hair when you take your helmet off, if you need to be seen in public, and don't have a ball cap handy.

2 members found this post helpful.

It can be hard to find but Tuttle's Elexer/Liniment is by far my FAV! It's a neutral color, smells awesome and has some oil in it so it doesn't dry out the coat.

I used to be able to get it at my local Tractor Supply, but they stopped carrying it. BOOOO! You can find it on Amazon and some online tack/vet supply sites.

This is a pretty great price for it, actually!
    ------------------------------
    Life Goes On

I use the Absorbine green gel and it doesn't stain my guy's four white socks at all
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

Cold water. 100% natural, dye- and chemical free, no runoff to worry about (horse people are very blase' about all the chemicals they rinse off onto the ground) and just as effective as anything that comes out of a bottle. Not to mention FREE!
    Click here before you buy.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by normandy_shores View Post
    I use it full strength and sometimes mix some Vetrolin in if I have some left over from the bottle. Cheap, can get anywhere and smells great. I have never tried regular rubbing alcohol, but I use it for green spots on show day.

Someone on here mentioned Apple Cider Vinegar. I have always wanted to try that. I think I ill have to pick some up now that it is starting to get hot.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Apple cider vinegar is my new go-to liniment. It is awesome, the coat dries really fast and is super shiney and soft to touch. After sponging vetrolyn on, I can feel a residue and he is not as shiny.

Also even the big bomber flies don't like it so as I am grazing him afterward he is not bothered even in the worst fly season. It is also cute because he loves the smell--when I bring the bucket out he practically mows me over to give it a good sniff. I think I will try adding it to his drinking water at shows.

I have added a squirt of coat conditioner and wintergreen alcohol, but the vinegar alone is perfect.

1 members found this post helpful.

Witch Hazel

Becareful using wintergreen alcohol...it is very drying and strips the oil from their hair.

Witch Hazel can also be used to dilute some thing like Apple Cider Vinegar or the alcohol.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I like rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle (applied to damp legs... diluted if you are using on completely dry legs). I like the smell of the wintergreen alcohol more, but it definitely did stain my horse's stockings a faint green with twice weekly use.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Cold water. 100% natural, dye- and chemical free, no runoff to worry about (horse people are very blase' about all the chemicals they rinse off onto the ground) and just as effective as anything that comes out of a bottle. Not to mention FREE!
    But it doesn't smell as nice or give your hands a tingly feeling.

Something wrong with plain ole' Absorbine?
    Or my favorite: Biegoil? It makes your hands feel soooo good

I have, and have had, greys and have never had either "stain" them.

Quote Originally Posted by MeghanDACVA View Post
    Something wrong with plain ole' Absorbine?
    Or my favorite: Biegoil? It makes your hands feel soooo good

I have, and have had, greys and have never had either "stain" them.
    I totally forgot Biegoil. I love that stuff. I still have some in a spray bottle in the trailer. Your hands tingle for twenty minutes after using that.

Bigeloil is my favorite too.

Wintergreen alcohol can also cause a horse to test for salicylates.
    Click here before you buy.