The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Still Healing...

This Friday would have been the 5 yo b-day of my homebred tb cross mare that I lost almost 2 years ago, on April 27, 2011 in the tornado outbreaks in Alabama. An EF5 leveled the barn I boarded at. I'm childless and she was the closest thing I've ever had to wanting an actual child... she was supposed to be my next eventer and we were going to start showing again this year... (I've taken a 5+ year break from eventing to play with reining). While I'm generally over the grieving process there are still little moments that hit me and bring everything to a standstill... her dam is in foal currently and will be having her 'replacement' in a month.

I know horse ownership is full of heartache. And I guess I'm just feeling a little bittersweet about this upcoming birthday...

I'm so sorry for your loss I don't think time will ever erase the pain of loss, but healing happens in its own time. {Hugs} to you....
    Certified Spiritual Medium/ Animal Communicator
    www.heatherevebristol.com
    www.meliorastables.net

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your mare

I don't thnk we ever get over it...but time does dull the pain. I'm sorry for your loss and wish you the best with the upcoming event.

Southern Yankee,

I feel your pain, I am so sorry. How absolutely devastating. Big hugs to you (((((SY)))))))
    Grab mane and kick on!

www.rocksolid-training.com

Anything you might want to do to "celebrate" her bday in memory? Maybe it would help you cope with the day a little? Just a thought.

I plan on celebrating with a nice cold beer. And kissing her mamma on the nose.

The blessing in all of this is the dam is getting up there in age but we managed to get her in foal last year (this will be her last baby as she has made it very clear this time she hates being pregnant). I'm so blessed that I was able to do that as her mamma was my pony club mount and went to college with me. So there is alot of additional emotion attached to anything that happens with this mare. Healing for me helps when there is something to look forward to...

Here is a picture of her about a month before I lost her, on her 3yo b-day we went on a nice hack around the farm

And here she is fall of her 2yo year
    Last edited by SouthernYankee; Feb. 27, 2013 at 01:59 PM. Reason: ADD PICTURE

I'm so sorry for your loss SouthernYankee. She was beautiful.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Absolutely stunning!! What a beautiful girl.
    Grab mane and kick on!

www.rocksolid-training.com