The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ugh, I've become one of those...

Ugh, I yelled at the Amerigas guy today, in a fine show of middle-aged screeching. *hangs head in shame*
    Due to the ice, I've been unable to ride for about a month, and since then, my wonderfully trustworthy gelding has become rather attached to his dear friend, the new mare.

So today, it's nice enough to get out, but since the trustworthy guy has gained a few pounds his saddle doesn't fit, so I thought I'd just walk him in hand to the trail etc to start him up again.

He goes up the trail with minimal fuss, comes back down the mountain starting to jig and pull. So we do the standard, no you will not do this move. We get to the lane (dirt road, only four houses back here) and he turns into a total nutjob. So I start the you will circle until you walk calmly and if you are a big enough jerk we will trot away until you turn around and walk calmly when around a blind corner comes barreling the Amerigas (propane delivery truck).

Yes, I know it's my responsibility to train my horse to be fine regardless of the distraction but this was enough of a distraction to cause my ordinarily safe and sane but already wound tight horse to lose his ever-loving mind and run me over, which then invoked the middle aged screech owl in me to bellow at the van to slow down. He didn't respond (though he did stop) so there I am gesturing and trying to get him to understand while raising my voice over the truck (all the while trying to keep my horse from completely creaming me). He finally nodded and responded and I realized that he could hear me just fine, I just startled him.

So after I got my horse to stop acting like a complete fartnugget and he made his delivery I walked said horsey back down and apologized. He was very gracious and said he didn't know what was back here so I explained that there are children and ponies and animals, so slow is better on this lane...

But Crikey, I was that middle aged rider. I just feel so darned embarrassed for the screeching. I was mostly just furious at my horse who was acting like a moron, but I took it out on the poor propane guy.

Ugh, has anyone else done this? I always try to be really careful because I want to give people a friendly impression of horse people, which is how trails stay open...but...sheesh!

6 members found this post helpful.

"...acting like a complete fartnugget..." Love it!

Yeah, I reamed out the UPS driver one time a few years ago when he came up our lane at about 30 mph. This is a private, one lane gravel road. I charged down there and stopped him as he was coming back up it, from dropping off a delivery at our neighbor's. I can't remember what all I said, but I wasn't terribly polite. No cursing, but my tone was so scary I think the poor man wet his pants. And yes, I felt bad about it later, thought I was too harsh, BUT, it worked! UPS never came up our lane again at better than a snail's pace. Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

7 members found this post helpful.

It happens...a kneejerk reaction when our horses are being jerks.

At least you had the class to go apologize for the reaction. Kudos to you!

I scared the heck out of the oil guy a couple days ago by yanking the door open and hollering "Hang on, dammit!" in the poor man's face. I felt like an ass and also apologized profusely. The timing just stunk, my place is set far back and very quiet. My doorbell very rarely rings. Actually, same with my phone during the day. But in a 2 minute period I had used the phone to call somewhere and was trying to make an appointment, the other line starting beeping so I had to keep repeating what I was saying, my cell started ringing, the doorbell rang and the dog started barking like a maniac. And the poor guy had the wrong house.
    My street crosses town lines, and the two towns never bothered consulting one another when numbering the houses. So there's the exact same address as my house 2 miles up the road, different town.

So yeah, I get it. I wasn't getting run over by a horse but was ready to run someone over myself, LOL!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

1 members found this post helpful.

One of the advantages of going grey - people just nod knowingly as they back away from me.

5 members found this post helpful.

I've done similar things, but I've not gotten the chance to apologize - although in my cases I think the people deserved it! I hate when others are carelessly unsafe around people who they could hurt!

I'm pregnant right now though and while I haven't been riding enough to have an incident around horses, I've noticed that if I have the slightest irritation in my voice people SERIOUSLY back away from me. I have to laugh.. it's like they think the pregnant lady beast will strike out and kill them!
    My boy, "Mr. Nice Guy"

Ask me about Final Furlong, Inc. - promoting "Responsible retirement for thoroughbred racehorses through the racing industry".

2 members found this post helpful.

Do you board or own the property? You can get little speed limit signs, or if it's not your property ask the BO about getting one. You can also find signs that say "SLOW - CHILDREN" or "SLOW - HORSES".
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I spoke with my neighbor whose property borders the blind turn and we've agreed to pick out a sign (she also has children and ponies!).

Do I think he deserved it? Oh yes, he shouldn't have been flying around a blind turn on a one lane road. However, I typically like to be more polite than normal when horsing it, just because I know that we are already percieved in such a negative manner.

So when instead, I was screeching at him like some sort of death-crane, I felt truly ashamed of my behavior! *laughing*

It *was* dangerous and I could have easily been hurt, but I am indeed the moron who gets on an unpredictable 1500lb animal who would like to be with his girlfriend rightnowthankyouverymuch, and as such, that's my issue and not his!

Oy!

Fartnugget = my new favorite word.

(Speaking of which, my non-horsey friends regularly marvel at my witticisms-- little do they know, 99% of them originated here on CotH, lol!)
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

4 members found this post helpful.

Onegreypony, and others who yelled at drivers, I say "thank you". I had an accident last Labor day with my baby when the hauler started up to cross the paved road as I was leading the 5 year old across the paved driveway. I had to pull him back and then he lost it, I was knocked down and dragged a good 20 feet (1.5 canter strides) before he ran back to his older brother in the cross ties. I couldn't yell at the hauler, I was too busy cleaning up the blood from my elbow and knee and fetching the baby who thought he was going to be run over by a truck and 6 horse trailer (I had the same thought).

So thank you, when around horses caution is essential always since any driver has no clue about what the horse can do at any moment. When I am driving around barns I always assume every horse is a baby who has been tied up for days and is looking for any reason to kill others...

Well, if you are truly sincere about feeling aghast at your carrying on, I wouldn't blame it on middle age - no, but SAD. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasona...ctive_disorder

At least that's what I'd blame it on.

Spring less than a month away!!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

When I am driving around barns I always assume every horse is a baby who has been tied up for days and is looking for any reason to kill others...
    That might actually be perfect for a sign. I don't think people understand how dangerous it can really be. I also tend to be very cautious, any time I see fencing (which this lane has in spades) because who KNOWS what type of animal might be in front of you. But I am from a rural area, and this area is borderline rural/suburban, so we have a lot of clueless people.

Well, if you are truly sincere about feeling aghast at your carrying on, I wouldn't blame it on middle age - no, but SAD. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasona...ctive_disorder

At least that's what I'd blame it on.

Spring less than a month away!!
    CVPeg, don't I know it. I was out and out grousing this morning trying to unstick the barn door. I have a human door which doesn't get stuck, and a huge sliding door that loves to freeze completely shut. This usually results in some choice language and frustration in general. Next year I may board all winter...somewhere with an indoor where someone ELSE deals with the ice and snow and bringing them warm water and...etc.etc.etc.

We have a long driveway. People just drive too fast. Dont feel bad about the barn owl screech. You will know when things really are going out of control when your neighbors (who dont own any animals) yell at fast drivers for you. Yeah I am ducking my head about now with that addmission.

I live up a gravel road on a very quiet mountain. Which of course means that people drive around here like it was Daytona. There's a reason I won't allow the HOA for the summer cabin development up the road to fix the portion of road that goes over my property past my house. Speed on that and you'll lose your teeth and end up with a flat head...

I've lived here and ridden around here for years, been here much longer than just about anyone else on the mountain, live here year round.

One day last summer, I was coming back from a nice trail ride, riding my enormous, very loud, hard to miss, leopard appy down the road, when I heard the sound of a car coming down the hill behind me, much too fast. I took myself off into the ditch, whence I would be safe. She came round the corner like a bat out of hell, saw me and slammed her brakes on. Always a poor decision on a gravel road.

We were still standing peacefully in the ditch. Just as well I wasn't my neighbor walking her dogs, or a cow and calf moose standing in the middle of the road.

She backed up the road to level with me, wound her window down and proceded to tell me at length how dangerous it was for me to be riding on the road (the road that I own, and graciously allow her and her kind to use, mark you) "because people drive much too fast around here." Then she peeled off again, spitting gravel.

I will admit was too gobsmacked to say anything.

(However, I described her and her car to my buddy the snowplow driver, and she's been taking every opportunity to plow her in this winter...)

8 members found this post helpful.

I am like a utility worker and drive through residential areas all the time - lots of them are in the country. I had someone yell at me for driving too fast on a dry dirt road because I was kicking up way too much dust. The truth is, I appreciated them yelling at me. Yes, it was embarrasing, but I know better. So, although you think the driver doesn't want you yelling at them - yell on. We need a reminder every once and awhile. If on the other hand you yell at me for being on your property and threaten to call the sheriff without giving me a chance to explain myself, that I can't stand and it ruins my day. Usually it's someone who has a major beef with the utility company (like maybe they had their service cut off because they didn't pay their bill), but that I hate!!! BTW - never been yelled at like that by a woman.

atr, I'd be gobsmacked too, and having a conversation with whomever I needed to have a conversation with about it! Heck, I was gobsmacked just reading that - the nerve!!

I just don't get people that drive too fast up one lane mountain roads. We have one a few roads down that leads to a popular trailhead. Long, curvy, loads of blind corners - you should see people fly up that. Unreal. Luckily the trail itself is not ideal for horses otherwise I'd be mad!

f4leggin, I can understand driving most of the day and forgetting your speed. Heck, I do it on long car trips - hard to gauge how fast you're really going after you've been driving for hours at 70.

I think we all know better when it comes to the road, but familiarity breeds contempt :-/

I'm sure I've done it too, and that's why I don't like to yell. I'm much more of a conversation later sort of person, in general, unless you scare me or I'm being run over by my horse!

I had a total, batpoop, crazy lady, screaming harpy fit at a delivery driver roaring past me, ignoring my frantic gesturing, while out riding with a tiny beginner on a tiny pony on a private dirt lane that was also used by walkers, children on bicycles, etc.

The lane was a dead end, so he had to come back out, and I left tiny child on the shoulder and blocked the lane with my horse to stop him and then thoroughly berated him for it. He first started by saying he was running late, which led to me screaming "Late? How late do you think you'll be if you hit someone in this lane and have to wait for the ambulance and police?" He then said something like "Look, lady, I understand, I have children too..." to which I replied "What the heck does that mean? Since you have children it's okay to endanger other people's? That if you kill one of mine you'll replace her with one of yours?"

The interesting thing about this is that I was relatively young at the time, mid 30s, not silver haired as I am presently, and the child in question was a student, not the fruit of my womb. But I had a fierce, nearly maternal, protective instinct towards my students.

So by my admittedly high standard, a little shrieking is pretty mild.

4 members found this post helpful.

McGurk, you are my hero

On the other thread I disagreed with name-calling our horses - but I have done my share of yelling at idots on the trail who gallop up behind unsuspecting riders, or who otherwise do dangerous things. One just never knows when a young horse or beginner rider will be out there and if there will be an accident.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

It was better to take your anger out on the Amerigas guy than your horse!

You were gracious enough to apologize, which was very nice.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg