The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Cancade Farm Closing

All of their horses are being sold. I bought two. Their contract was cancelled due to decreased demand for the product and they are getting out of the horse business. I just came from spending the weekend with them. They are keeping a really positive attitude but it's terribly sad.

The product???
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Cancade Farms is a PMU farm. "The product" is the medication that is made from pregnant mare urine. There has been decreased demand for the medicine that is made and in addition the process for extracting the necessary components has improved.

Premarin (sp?) PMU farm.....I have a friend who has gotten some wonderful horses from there.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Damn!! I hoped they would miss that axe. I know a few others that lost contracts too, but are still breeding, however on a greatly reduced scale. The ones that broke my heart were the elderly couple from Manitoba that lost their line (ag Canada article that I forgot to bookmark). They have had a line since 66. These two are sweet people, and were down to just a handful of mares that they are going to keep.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Loyd and Mel are getting out of horses completely. They want to close this chapter and move on to something else. They are very sad but also positive and strong. Great people...

Maybe I'm missing the point. I thought it was a GOOD thing that Premarin was no longer in demand because it, uh, wasn't a good thing for, uh, mares and foals. Not that I want PMU mares going to slaughter because there isn't a demand for their services, but it seems like a bit of a stretch to be sorry PMU farms are closing. Or am I just confused?

3 members found this post helpful.

The PMU farms have gotten an undeserved bad rap. The horses are treated very well contrary to what you may have heard. Premarin is still in some demand and many people get benefits from it. The whole PMU debate is not what this thread is about. Those who know the Cancades and have bought Cancade horses know what this thread is about...

2 members found this post helpful.

I always wanted a PMU baby, I did my 4-H public speaking project on PMU farms.

I agree with JanWeber though, I didn't think they were a business most horse people wanted to support. Plus there are a number of synthetic and natural alternatives to Permarin. (although I hope no to have to use them for another 20 years or so!)

Most people who are upset about PMU farms feel that way because they see the mares being made pregnant to any old sire just to produce urine, with the foals as a pesky byproduct that were sold for slaughter. For some farms, this was so.

However, there was no reason it needed to be that way, and there are farms that are breeding high quality foals and use the PMU money to supplement their breeding operations... because let's face it, very few breeders are rolling in dough from operations.

http://www.cancadefarms.com/
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

1 members found this post helpful.

UUHHHHHHHH SHUDDER!!!

WHAT A HORRIBLE NAG!!!

I won't charge her for taking it of her hands!

(yeah, it is real hardship for a horse to be in a barn with hay and stuff during a Canadian winter....)
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

Quote Originally Posted by JanWeber View Post
    Maybe I'm missing the point. I thought it was a GOOD thing that Premarin was no longer in demand because it, uh, wasn't a good thing for, uh, mares and foals. Not that I want PMU mares going to slaughter because there isn't a demand for their services, but it seems like a bit of a stretch to be sorry PMU farms are closing. Or am I just confused?
    wondering too

I bought my horse from the Cancades eight years ago (is that really possible? wow!). Part of the reason I did was that I felt they were excellent people who took great care of their animals, and marketed them well. They answered all my questions and also had an open door policy and welcomed visitors.

Probably in the long run it's good there's less demand for PMU, but I am a bit sad that they'll be out of the business of horses. They always have had nice quality horses (it's hilarious how people react when they learn what my horse is - on the rare occasion I do actually take him places people are always coming up and saying how nice he is, heh). Mine may have had a few issues but is the best $800 I've ever spent in my life.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Thank you for those who didn't take offense that I asked. Okay - these were nice people who bred their mares to decent sires, cared for them well (I always thought they were kept in standing stalls with a collection device for the urine) and marketed the babies responsibly. Not a terrible thing, I guess. They are unable to afford to continue their breeding operation without the PMU operation?

A breeder can't make it selling babies for $850.00.

(I always thought they were kept in standing stalls with a collection device for the urine)
    The mares are kept on-line from September through about April. Typically they get out once a day to stretch their legs, and extra mares are kept so horses can be rotated on and off the lines. The collection apparatus is a foam rubber contraption that works by static (it is not a catheter), and is attached to a pulley system so the mare can move around and lie down. The lines are arranged so mares are on either side of a hay thingy, so they are kept head-to-head and have some social interaction.

It probably is not how you or I would keep horses - but it's also not the house of horrors that some people have been screaming about, either. IMO the best comparison is to a dairy operation (except the foals actually get to stay with their mothers for the spring and summer). There was also a study done looking at stress behaviors in horses (weaving, cribbing, general anxiety, etc) and they found that PMU mares tended to have very low rates of stress behavior - much less than you'd find at the local racetrack, probably.

I won't excuse the entire industry - the fact remains that it's a lot of foals born every year in a time where there's lots of horses who need homes. Some farms weren't as careful as others or attentive to producing nice and marketable foals. Some didn't care. There probably are still farms where most of the foals just go to local sales.

(and yes, given the prices they sold their foals for, they probably were supplementing their wyeth income quite well but wouldn't be profitable without it. Another farm, like Ravine, which is charging upwards of $2000 for a lot of their foals, might be able to make a go of it if they lost their contract, but they have approved warmblood stallions on their roster, which makes the prices easier to justify).
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

OK, I'm ummmm older but when I was a kid, standing or tie stalls were the norm. Box stalls were a luxury. Aren't the SRS stallions still kept in tie stalls when they are in Vienna?
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    OK, I'm ummmm older but when I was a kid, standing or tie stalls were the norm. Box stalls were a luxury.
    That's put in mind of something:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FatHL...eature=related

Say no more! A nod's as good as a wink to a blind horse

They also used to put children up chimneys, kept slaves and horses died when they were about 6 ... bloody lucky!

I have a Cancade foal and can vouch that LLoyd and his family took excellent care of the horses. They had a nice breeding program with quality animals. They were honest with me about my filly and what she was/is or would be....I had planned on buying another from them at some point and am sad that they can't breed anymore. Their horses were actually nice sport horses. and I saw your friends' pinto and love it!

Is their website updated with what they are selling?