The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pj View Post
    Was just sitting here reading and thought the same thing. Must be wonderful to have so few problems that spelling and grammar seem a big deal to you.
    Oh but the rest of us should shut up because there are bigger problems but it is OK for you to complain that we are complaining. Some how the 'there are much more horrible issues' in life argument does not work when it comes to you posting that we should not post....interesting (lack of) logic.

Here is my grammar apology to cover me until the next time this topic comes up. I suck at English. Always have. I try. I fail more often than I should. I cannot spell my way out of a paper bag which leaves me guessing which of the words with the same sound do I use here or there. Yes, I use a dictionary. Normally when I decide I know and do not look things up I have picked the incorrect word. Sorry for your bleeding eyes that I cause.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    http://imglol.com/media/a/a2/a2t/a2t2k-no-lunging.jpg

When did "and" become interchangeable with "to?"

I hear it on the news, in print, etc. Is it actually considered okay now?

In this context:

"I tried to go and help them!"

instead of:
    "I tried to go to help them!"

The first sentence doesn't make any sense. I tried to go. I tried to help them. They're not seperates that need a conjunction: I tried to go TO help them.

And when did the pronunciation of "to" become "ta"? That drives me crazy to hear that.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Chezzie View Post
    Unless those farms have small land masses surrounded by water, aisle is correct.
    Then isle would be the correct term to use for my barn right now after all the rain we've been having here in Georgia.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

5 members found this post helpful.

One of my pet peeves is when people use the wrong word that sounds like another word:
    they're, there and their
    to, too and two
    are and our
    And our Craigslist favorites:
    confirmation and conformation
    gentle and gentile, genital (these always crack me up even while they are making me scream )
    spade when they mean spayed
    I know someone who writes "must of" when she means "must have" this drives me crazy!
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

It's BURIED, not BERRIED. Even newscasters say berried. Sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by tidy wabbit View Post
    I specifically referred to cothers who have major problems and illnesses.
    I'm having some pretty serious cardiac issues at the moment, and I still find the slaughter of my mother tongue aggravating. Maybe if people tried harder not to appear so ignorant and uneducated, it would help me heal.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

10 members found this post helpful.

Confirmation instead of conformation and gates instead of gaits are the ones that make me chuckle.

Text speak.

Is it really so hard to type out words like see instead of using the letter?

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm with the OP. It's Longe. Period. "Lunge" is hitting the dictionaries now because of the common usage. Yes, I know language evolves. But it's longe, longe, longe.

2 members found this post helpful.

Just saw another one this morning, about x-rays for a young dog: "Prelimbs."

"Male 9 months old with OFA Prelimbs"

Makes him sound like a tadpole.

7 members found this post helpful.

It is puzzling to me why people come on a thread like this and tell everyone that it is not a worthwhile discussion. If it is so bothersome to you why not just scroll past?

I, for one, enjoy a lively discussion about our language. If not for the people that care about it I fear it will fall in to terrible disrepair.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

14 members found this post helpful.

I avoid the issue by riding my horse rather than ____ing it.

That's my new solution. I'll just ask "well, do you ever l____e him in side reins?"

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    I'm with the OP. It's Longe. Period. "Lunge" is hitting the dictionaries now because of the common usage. Yes, I know language evolves. But it's longe, longe, longe.
    From the Oxford English Dictionary:

1. trans. To put (a horse) through his paces by the use of the lunge; to make a horse (occas. his rider) go round the lunge (see lunge n.1 3b).

1806 R. Cumberland Mem. I. 263 You might as safely have backed Bucephalus, before Alexander had lunged him.

1815 Sporting Mag. 46 116 At three [years old] put on the bits and lunge him.

1833 Regulations Instr. Cavalry i. ii. 72 The horse may be longed to the right, left, and to the right again.

1845 Jrnl. Royal Agric. Soc. 5 ii. 529 Being lounged in a circle with great care.

1848 Thackeray Vanity Fair xlvi. 413 As the coachman was lunging Georgy round the lawn on the gray pony.

1862 H. Marryat One Year in Sweden II. 406 Armed horsemen are seen lunging their chargers round and round after the manner of a modern circus.

1875 ‘Stonehenge’ Man. Brit. Rural Sports (ed. 12) ii. i. viii. §5. 454 The colt..may now be taken out and well lunged.

1889 M. H. Hayes Illustr. Horse-breaking ii. 64 The generality of men, when they lunge a colt or filly, will circle the young one more to the left than to the right.

This entry has not yet been fully updated (first published 1903).

So that spelling is hardly hitting them just "now"!

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post
    "Alot."
    I like this alot:
    http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.co...verything.html

Equus Keepus Brokus

Euthanize, not euthanatize.
    No Euthanatize is the proper Verb form.

Where you see most of this argument is in professional journals where they have strict rules on language.

English is such a fluid language, however journals are usually slow to accept and step away from the Oxford English Dictionary.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

I am one of those really annoying people who uses alot, although I try not to.

Regarding lunge vs. longe-- I was taught it was lunge many moons ago so I shall continue to use it. To those for whom it causes panty waddage-- tough luck! I decided when I first started reading COTH to not let poor grammar, punctuation, sentence structure or the inability to use paragraphs annoy me.

I hate "sell" and "sale". I want more "sells" no! You want more sales! My horse is forsell...really? Help me "sale" my horse

UGH, everytime I see sell or sale interchanged I immediately go in another direction even if the horse or item is my dream and for only pennies, I still run the other way

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambitious Kate View Post
    Conformation

The worst is when people use apostrophes for plural words. In two hospitals I was greeted with this mistake every day, by the name of the cafe in the hospital. The first hospital had a place called "Cappachino's And More". I used to go in and ask the owner, who was behinnd the counter waiting on me, "Who's Cappachino? Its his deli, he should be here." It just grated on me. Just started a job at a new hospital, and Friday I finally found my way to the in-hospital cafeteria. What's the name of it? "Choice's Cafe". I wonder who "Choice" is. le sigh.
    This. The incorrect use of apostrophes in plural words makes me feel stabby, especially when the writer is a native english speaker.

Lunge and longe are both right. Now, don't get me started on confirmation/conformation, soda vs pop, sauce/gravy, hoagie/sub....
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

My local public radio station morning host has said the following in the past week:

"I was nerve-wracked" and included "impactful" in a sentence.

I hate that poor wording becomes common usage and eventually shows up in dictionaries.

And I have to think twice now before typing vertical - I am so used to seeing it as verticle!