The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cindyg View Post
    I feel the same way about "gifting." It's supposed to be a noun, not a verb.
    still better than impacting...sounds like a need for Colon Blow...

One more thing that makes me positively cringe:

Through and threw....
    you know, walk me threw this course....
    No man, I could throw you through this wall for saying that...

thank goodness, I can't spell nor type, it magically cancels each other out most of the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by ILuvmyButtercups View Post
    What go me started on this rant is the SmartPak supplement winter 2013 flyer that came this month. On page 21 under the 6 stressors article, they write in # 5 where travel can take a silent toll: "Even if he seems unphased on the outside..." grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
    So I come onto COTH, my favorite most forums on horses ever, and over and over I see the carelessness, the abuse of these two terms. Don't even get me started on "flatting", "lessoning", oh, my poor head.

Thanks for the well wishes! I'm on the fourth day of the flu, and almost hope it kills me - anything to be out of this misery!!!

Really? That's what bugged you about the SmartPak flyer? What bugs ME is their claim, "5 minutes to a healthier horse". Um, feeding your horse a bunch of expensive crap he may or may not benefit from doesn't make him a healthier horse. It makes SmartPak a healthier company.
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

7 members found this post helpful.

Euthanize, not euthanatize.
    “Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.”
    Drew Carey

1 members found this post helpful.

It's per se, not per say, although auto-correct wreaks havoc on Latin.
    And remember: "there is a RAT in 'separate'."

2 members found this post helpful.

"Alot."
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Quote Originally Posted by RedHorses View Post
    The one that has me scratching my head is "me" - somewhere along the line "me" seems to have become a word that only idjits use ("me like hockey"). People are using "I" where they should be using "me" and I have to wonder why. "This is a picture of my horse and I" is incorrect use of "I". There's an easy way to check which to use - remove the other party and repeat the sentence. Would you say "This is a picture of I"? Of course not, you'd say "This is a picture of me" so when you put your horse back in it becomes "This is a picture of my horse and me." It works both ways - "My horse and I went on a hack today" is correct because you would also say "I went on a hack today."

AAAACK! This has been making me CRAZY since about 1994. I believe it started Back East and moved West. It's just a simple hyper-correction, but I loathe it. It's so common now it's even present it otherwise well-written successful Hollywood films. News anchors use it "I" incorrectly all the time. All sure signs that this is becoming standard and acceptable but it still makes me want to wretch. I'd rather be told "This is her." in response to "May I speak to..?" on the phone all day long.

Meanwhile, back to the OP, I've always figured longing/lunging was related to long-lining, which makes me think "longe" is an old timey English word and "lunge" comes from Americans reading "longe" as a soft "g." I don't like the way "longe" looks.
    An auto-save saved my post.

I might be a cylon

Quote Originally Posted by Cindyg View Post
    I feel the same way about "gifting." It's supposed to be a noun, not a verb.
    So (ha) I just read the quote from the Wiki article on lunge/longe. Interesting!

Does anyone have knowledge of "gifting" having been a verb a littler farther back in history or outside the US? I'm pretty sure I've encountered it in that type of context, meaning in 19th C. British literature. This is one of those words that does seem a little silly, made up and lazy but, I dunno I just like it! "Giving" and "gift giving" are different things and I appreciate the efficiency.

As for the ethical question, the vast majority of things discussed on COTH are trivial and pale in comparison to war, famine and poverty. I'm watching the Bachelor as I'm writing this. I have very real problems in my life on very fundamental levels. I still reserve the right to relax and pass the time on COTH and even to have some grammar pet peeves and to enjoy discussing them. Other people's peeves are not my own and language is always evolving with a standard only being a theoretical concept. However, collectively such concerns and discussions help to preserve our most basic ability to transmit information and have it be understood. While being an unrelenting grammar snob really can marginalize the uneducated, the society-wide denigration of eloquence and education hurts the margins even more. Few things are more disempowering than being unable to express yourself - to not have a voice (it's ok to split infinitives now). It might not matter much when talking about lunging, but when talking to an ER doctor it matters tremendously.
    An auto-save saved my post.

I might be a cylon

5 members found this post helpful.

I use lunge. Longe isn't aesthetically pleasing to me.

I once had an e-mail exchange with a rather famous author. After a while I noticed the e-mails varied in spelling and punctuation, so I asked the author whether he was writing all of them. He replied that some were written by his assistant, and that I would be able to tell which ones the assistant wrote because those were the ones with correct spelling and grammar

And did you know F. Scott Fitzgerald & Ernest Hemingway had problems with spelling and grammar? Hemingway wrote to Fitzgerald:

For Christ sake write and don't worry about what the boys will say nor whether it will be a masterpiece nor what. I write one page of masterpiece to ninety one pages of shit. I try to put the shit in the wastebasket. You feel you have to publish crap to make money to live and let live. All write but if you write enough and as well as you can there will be the same amount of masterpiece material. You can't think well enough to sit down and write a deliberate masterpiece and if you could get rid of Seldes and those guys that nearly ruined you and turn them out as well as you can and let the spectators yell when it is good and hoot when it is not you would be all right.

I specifically referred to cothers who have major problems and illnesses. Not to "third world" people, whomever they are. The people on this board with major problems would love to have just grammar to worry about. But I find it ironic that people who are complaining about grammar on this thread are wrong in their assertions about what words are proper to use in reference to horses. Lighten up! As someone said, we're not in college english class and we shouldn't be graded by others.

Once a word becomes common usage, Webster's Dictionary adds it as acceptable for use. Our language is ever expanding and we should be glad of that. Gerunds are good!

i'm usually quite tolerant, but the various spellings of the word love are a bit irritating to me, i admit.
    love--not luv, not loff, not lurve.
    sheesh.
    feel better sick ones!

2 members found this post helpful.

I luv this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ambitious Kate View Post
    Conformation, as pointed out, not confirmation. When you talk about how a horse is conformed, (notice "formed"), you are talking about his build, or conformation. When something has been 'confirmed', it has been verified, and you made a confirmation of say, your reservation.

The worst is when people use apostrophes for plural words. In two hospitals I was greeted with this mistake every day, by the name of the cafe in the hospital. The first hospital had a place called "Cappachino's And More". I used to go in and ask the owner, who was behinnd the counter waiting on me, "Who's Cappachino? Its his deli, he should be here." It just grated on me. Just started a job at a new hospital, and Friday I finally found my way to the in-hospital cafeteria. What's the name of it? "Choice's Cafe". I wonder who "Choice" is. le sigh.

The thing is, both of these places have very expensive, large, neon style signs made for their cafes, and must have spent a ton of money on it. I do take a sly pleasure when pointing out, very quietly and sympathetically, that it must be such a shame to have spent all that money on such a lovely sign only to find out it was spelled wrong.
    The blasted misused apo'strophe's are MAKING ME CRAZY. Doesn't anybody bother to check that text is correct before publishing it, whether as an ad or article or sign?? What's become scary to me is now I find myself starting to throw in random apostrophes.

Oh, and Misty, there is "a rat" in "separate."
    LOL, I don't know what it is with me and that word! Every time I type it, it's easier to type that way. My pinkies hate typing, especially the left one.

suz..."loff" is a Cothism from the late, great Willem.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Yeah but she said "the barns have aisles," referencing the barns in the barn builder ads that she had just been reading.
    I think she was saying, 'Hello, builders, it's aisles, not isles.'
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

3 members found this post helpful.

suz..."loff" is a Cothism from the late, great Willem.
    [/QUOTE
    ]i know, makes me feel like an idjit, but there you have it.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    Lunge and longe are both correct:
    "Lunge" is used as a rule in the UK (still a perfectly cromulent country despite its lousy credit rating).

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Rediculous has been getting quite the workout here of late.
    Rediculous and discusting! A viscious circle.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    : to treat (an animal) with a drug to destroy or expel parasitic
    worms
    I could care less! Or couldn't I??

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fburton View Post
    Rediculous and discusting! A viscious circle.

Defiantly so
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

And how many of us have horses that are dominate? (Bleurgh! )