The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 57
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb. 3, 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,819

    Default RESULTS ARE IN!! ANOTHER color prediction question!!

    I've searched for the excellent threads on color but couldn't find it! Just curious (and a little bit excited) about a breeding this year and what it might produce.

    Our chestnut mare has been bred to:
    a bay & produced a chestnut
    same bay & produced a bay
    a bay & produced a bay
    a chestnut and produced a chestnut (no brainer)
    a black & produced a black (still born at 8 months)

    We're breeding to Everdale this spring (black) & hoping for a black. Everdale has Lord Leatherdale and Negro in his background. The mare has lots of chestnut relatives.

    So, what do you think? Will we finally get our black foal or more likely a bay?
    Last edited by eggbutt; Mar. 5, 2013 at 07:01 PM.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    16,680

    Default

    Well, you don't know the mare's agouti status. She produced a black, so you know she's got at least one non-agouti allele. Since all of her bay foals have been by bay stallions, she *might* have zero agouti alleles. Or she could have one.

    Everdale's dam is chestnut, which means he is Ee (carries the chestnut allele.)

    So, you have 50% chance of a black-based foal and 50% chance of a chestnut-based foal.

    If your mare DOES NOT carry any agouti allele, then you have 50% chance of black and 50% chance of chestnut.

    If your mare DOES have an agouti allele, then you have 25% chance of black, 25% chance of some sort of bay and 50% chance of chestnut.

    You can test for agouti, if you'd like to nail it down.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2011
    Location
    Englandshire
    Posts
    578

    Default

    No idea but good luck with your black, I hope you get what you want Have you tried that colour calculator thats on the internet?

    (This year we are expecting one to be born black and go grey, one not bothered but will probably be bay, and the last one we are wanting a black too)



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb. 3, 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,819

    Default

    Thank y'all! How would I go about getting her tested just for fun? Is is expensive? Regardlesss, the Everdale is quite exciting for this mare so even if it isn't black, it will be loved and cherished.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec. 13, 1999
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    35,788

    Default

    The chestnut mare's chestnut relatives are irrelevant for this situation

    Everdale is heterozygous for black, meaning you have a 50% chance at chestnut.

    It's unknown the mare's Agouti status, though we know she's not AA. At best she's Aa, but could be aa.

    If she's aa, then you can't get bay from Everdale, unless he's really dark brown (though he does truly look black), in which case you could get another brown. If she's aa and he is also aa, then it's 50/50 chestnut or black.

    If she's Aa, then if her A is A (bay) or At (brown), then you have a 25% chance bay or brown, and the remaining 25% chance of black.
    ______________________________
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances. - ET


    1 members found this post helpful.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    16,680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eggbutt View Post
    Thank y'all! How would I go about getting her tested just for fun? Is is expensive? Regardlesss, the Everdale is quite exciting for this mare so even if it isn't black, it will be loved and cherished.
    Not expensive!

    You can do it here: http://www.horsetesting.com/Equine.asp

    Although they don't do brown. JB, who has the test for At? I forget...



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb. 3, 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,819

    Default

    Dang, y'all are amazing. I wish I knew this as well as you do. Fascinating information for sure.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb. 3, 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,819

    Default

    OK....great website but I have no idea what to ask for or test for! So many options. Would I just test for red/black factor, red/black factor agouiti combo or what would you suggest?



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    16,680

    Default

    You just need to test for agouti. You know the mare is ee (red factor) because she is chestnut. She cannot be anything else.

    http://www.horsetesting.com/Agouti.htm


    1 members found this post helpful.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec. 13, 1999
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    35,788

    Default

    Pet DNA Services of Arizona is the only place that tests for brown, and for horses, the brown test is the ONLY test they do
    ______________________________
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances. - ET



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    16,680

    Default

    Ah-ha. I could not turn them up in my googling at all!

    (Wow, they're pricy!)

    Question for you, JB: if I have a horse that tested Aa through Animal Genetics, is it possible that she could be AAt? I ask purely for my own curiosity



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb. 3, 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,819

    Default

    Alrighty then.....as I figure it, we have a 50% chance of a black, a 50% chance of a chestnut and a 50% chance of a dark bay. It's easier to know it will NOT be grey!



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    16,680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eggbutt View Post
    Alrighty then.....as I figure it, we have a 50% chance of a black, a 50% chance of a chestnut and a 50% chance of a dark bay. It's easier to know it will NOT be grey!
    Well, that adds up to 150%, which isn't possible

    If the mare has a "bay gene" then you have 50% chance of chestnut, 25% chance of black and 25% chance of bay.

    If she doesn't have a bay gene, then it's 50/50 black/chestnut.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2011
    Location
    On a horse.
    Posts
    395

    Default

    According to the calculator: 33.34% -Black 33.34% -Bay 33.33% -Chestnut


    Animal Genetics offers testing too -- reasonably priced. http://www.animalgenetics.us/Agouti.htm

    Have fun!



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    16,680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DancingFoalFarms View Post
    According to the calculator: 33.34% -Black 33.34% -Bay 33.33% -Chestnut
    Nope.

    Let's review our Punnett squares:

    Sire: Eeaa (Black, carrying chestnut, no agouti)
    Dam: eeaa (Chestnut, no agouti)
    or
    Dam: eeAa (Chestnut, one agouti)

    Eeaa X eeaa=

    50% Eeaa (black)
    50% eeaa (chestnut)

    Eeaa X eeAa=

    25% EeAa (bay)
    25% Eeaa (black)
    25% eeaa (chestnut, not a bay carrier)
    25% eeAa (chestnut, bay carrier)

    But no matter what, you have 50% chance of a red-based foal (chestnut, in this case) and a 50% chance of a black-based foal (that 50% could be 100% black or 50/50 black/bay, depending on the dam's bay status.)


    3 members found this post helpful.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2011
    Location
    On a horse.
    Posts
    395

    Default

    Thank you for your clarification and the reminder to review my Punnett Squares. I was using the Animal Genetics color calculator: http://www.animalgenetics.us/ccalculator1.asp Since the OP noted some unknowns regarding which horse was a carrier of which gene, I specified the following:
    Sire
    Color: Black
    Red Factor (Extension)
    Unknown [selected for unknown]
    Red Carrier (Ee)
    Homozygous Black (EE)

    Dam
    Color: Chestnut/Sorrel
    Agouti (Bay/Black)
    Unknown [selected for unknown]
    Non-Agouti (aa)
    Heterozygous (Aa)
    Homozygous Agouti (AA)

    Silver Dilution
    Non Silver Carrier
    Heterozygous (nZ)
    Homozygous Silver (ZZ)

    Which produced the following:
    Offspring Color Probability

    33.34% -Black
    33.34% -Bay
    33.33% -Chestnut
    With this genetic breakdown:
    Details: All
    Ee/Aa = 33.3350%
    Ee/aa = 33.3350%
    ee/Aa = 16.6650%
    ee/aa = 16.6650%

    Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Nope.

    Let's review our Punnett squares:

    Sire: Eeaa (Black, carrying chestnut, no agouti)
    Dam: eeaa (Chestnut, no agouti)
    or
    Dam: eeAa (Chestnut, one agouti)

    Eeaa X eeaa=

    50% Eeaa (black)
    50% eeaa (chestnut)

    Eeaa X eeAa=

    25% EeAa (bay)
    25% Eeaa (black)
    25% eeaa (chestnut, not a bay carrier)
    25% eeAa (chestnut, bay carrier)

    But no matter what, you have 50% chance of a red-based foal (chestnut, in this case) and a 50% chance of a black-based foal (that 50% could be 100% black or 50/50 black/bay, depending on the dam's bay status.)



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan. 26, 2013
    Posts
    342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Not expensive!

    You can do it here: http://www.horsetesting.com/Equine.asp

    Although they don't do brown. JB, who has the test for At? I forget...
    So what does the "grey test" test for?



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    16,680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DancingFoalFarms View Post
    Sire
    Color: Black
    Red Factor (Extension)
    Unknown [selected for unknown]
    Red Carrier (Ee)
    Homozygous Black (EE)
    The sire is black with a chestnut dam. Therefore, we know that he is Eeaa, which yields the results that I outlined above. Given what we know about the sire and the fact the mare is chestnut, there is absolutely no way that pairing can produce 33.3% red, 33.3% black and 33.3% bay. The only unknown here is the agouti status of the mare--either Aa, Ata, or aa.

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowfox View Post
    So what does the "grey test" test for?
    Grey.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post

    Question for you, JB: if I have a horse that tested Aa through Animal Genetics, is it possible that she could be AAt? I ask purely for my own curiosity
    Nope "At" tests as just plain old A with Animal Genetics/UC Davis/Any standard Agouti test. So does A+ (wild bay) as well. All three are versions of Agouti, and the standard Agouti test just tests for the presence of Agouti.

    So it's possible the mare could test as Ata rather than Aa with PetDNA... Unless she's phenotypically bay, in which case she's definitely Aa

    DancingFoal, as Simkie said, there is no way possible that the foal has a 33.3333% chance of ANYTHING. It's just not possible. The calculator is wrong. The foal has a 50% chance of being red based, period!

    Me personally, I'm either looking at a 100% chance of brown or 75% brown/25% black. Mare is tested EE, and she's brown, so EE At-. Her sire is registered as bay and has produced black offspring, so if he was truly bay, he was Aa, and could have only contributed his "a" to the mare. So most likely, without having her tested for Agouti, she's EE Ata. Stallion is by a homozygous black (EE Ata as well) sire, and is brown himself. His dam is brown, out of two brown parents...she's obviously Ee Ata as well as she's produced both chestnut and black. Thus stallion could be EE AtAt, EE Ata, Ee AtAt, or Ee Ata. Interestingly, he had his first foal last year and I'm almost positive it was wild bay (out of a chestnut mare)...So, if wild bay is recessive to brown, that means the stallion MUST be Ata because that foal would have to be Ee A+a in order to be wild bay.

    So you can often research enough to figure out the genetics. If you're crazy at least



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec. 13, 1999
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    35,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Question for you, JB: if I have a horse that tested Aa through Animal Genetics, is it possible that she could be AAt? I ask purely for my own curiosity
    Nope - they all see either a or A, they just don't see the At version of A (meaning, At is not an unseen alternative to a)

    Aa through AG could be Ata, but never AAt. AA could be AA or AAt or AtAt, but whether it's AAt or At? would be apparent in the phenotype.

    Testing for brown is really only worth while in the case of a chestnut, or a bay who doesn't have a black parent and your'e interested in whether he carries brown (because bay is dominant over brown).

    If you've got a brown, you can just use the extension/agouti combo test to see zygosity of each, because as a brown, he can only be Ata or AtAt, so if he tests Aa or AA, you know what he actually is.
    ______________________________
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances. - ET


    1 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Olympic prediction............
    By Equibrit in forum Dressage
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: Jul. 22, 2012, 02:28 PM
  2. Foaling prediction kits?
    By Rosies mom in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Feb. 23, 2012, 09:55 PM
  3. Color question: what color does a rose grey start?
    By crazy gray horse in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: Feb. 20, 2010, 11:25 PM
  4. Hay Shortage Prediction???
    By gooselover in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Jul. 15, 2009, 01:02 PM
  5. Post your Belmont Prediction
    By DickHertz in forum Racing
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Jun. 7, 2008, 03:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •