The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Poor boy!

I was playing fetch the stick like I always do with one of the dogs I walk and the stick bounced weirdly and the dog lunged for it just when it bounced vertically. He instantly starts yelping repeatedly and dropped the stick. It had punctured his mouth right behind the roof of his mouth in front of what would be tonsils in a person. Not sure if it is called the same thing in a dog. Luckily his owner was home so they were going to consult with the vet. I don't think you could recreate that if you had a million tries.

I'd imagine its a bit like accidentally catching a Dorito the wrong way in your mouth.

I hope the poor pooch is okay and he'll heal up quick.

He stopped yelping after a few minutes and was actually trying to get a rawhide off the counter when I left. I felt so bad though.

I've actually heard or read of that happening quite often believe it or not. I don't let my daughter throw sticks to our dog because of hearing about it! I bet if you do a google search you'll find a bunch....Hope your pup didn't get stuck too badly.
    Kerri

Yeah, I am thinking sticks might not be a good idea anymore either. I will get an update from the owner tomorrow on how he is doing.

I hope the little guy is okay. Stuff happens even with the best intentions. FWIW...I always throw a stick parallel to the ground so it hits and rolls/slides intead of bouncing. I'm sure the dog forgives you!!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Oh man, I have seen the reprecussions of this many times!

Glad the dog is ok..but have the owners keep an eye on him for any strange swellings or abscesses.

Have had several cases where dogs came in months (even years) later post stick in throat event. A tiny splinter travels and gets lodged somewhere in the tissue. Strange swelling or small abscess appears. Vet puts on antibiotics. Later, abscess recurs. More antibiotics. Comes back...now with a open draining tract. CT scan, contrast studies and sometimes multiple surgeries looking for that needle in the haystack.

Luckily most of the time its a non issue, but just beware that if months later a swelling on the neck appears...you may want to suggest pet insurance LOL.

They already have either insurance or some sort of all inclusive plan for the vet so money wise it is no big deal. It is a big deal every other way. I inspected the stick and it appeared to still be intact so hopefully no splinters are in there. It was a big hole though, about the size of a dime. I was surprised it didn't bleed at all.

They actually have tonsils. I found out when my dog tore one of his out and some weird scar tissue started closing his airway off. They can actually bleed to death when it happens.
    You are what you dare.

I figured they did but didn't know if it was called the same thing. Sort of like knees on people and stifles on horses! This didn't bleed at all so hopefully no worries of him bleeding to death. I was most concerned about potential infection and not being able or willing to eat.

Happened to one of my German Shorthairs many years ago. He really jammed the stick down his esophagus and I had to pull it out. It was so many years ago, I don't remember the vet treatment, but he healed fine. No more sticks after that, only frisbees or balls too large for him to swallow.
    Lost in the Land of the Know It Alls

Guess I will head to the dollar store and find some throw-able toys that I don't have to worry about getting lost. He isn't crazy about balls or frisbees, he loses interest in chasing those quickly.

maybe you should design and market rubber sticks.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post
    You know, I was just thinking that today! They took him to the vet and vet gave them some sort of pain med but no antibiotic which surprised me. He seemed fine today but definitely didn't like my alternative toys nearly as much as the sticks. With the sticks he could plop down and chew for a few minutes when he got tired. One time I threw the toy near a pile of sticks and he kept tapping his foot on one of the sticks trying to convince me to throw that instead.

Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post
    Nylabone beat you to it: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

There's also this one, which has "real wood" in it, so it smells right: http://www.petco.com/product/119300/...t=OnSiteSearch

But this one is probably best for fetch games, as it's made of rubber: http://www.ruffdawg.com/play/products/sticks.html

Sorry about the double post!
    Last edited by bdj; Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Accidentally double posted - ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I don't think you could recreate that if you had a million tries.
    I know two dogs that has happened to. No fetching sticks around me! Balls or frisbees.