The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Favorite Recognized Shows in Region 3

I'm bringing out my 6 yr. old mare and I haven't shown in more than 10 years so I wanted to pick my fellow COTHers brains on their favorite shows to attend. I'm really interested in Atlanta area shows and north Florida down to Ocala.

I'm particularly concerned with:

1.great stabling (17.2 hand 1700 lb "baby")
    2. Great footing
    3. Great Atmosphere

Honorable Mention: Great shopping.

This may seem like the holy grail, but I did enjoy showing at Canterbury back in the day if this helps.

Thanks in advance!

Have you considered Poplar Place in Columbus, Ga? Although I haven't shown there, I have been impressed enough with both the venue and the atmosphere I regularly drive the 100 miles to scribe. They have perm stabling, great staff and volunteers and all weather footing.
    They also have several clinics and recognized shows every year.

I will say the local shopping is typical mall/big box retailers, but there are a few local places and plenty of great local restaurants.

I also used to show at Canterberry but never liked their footing.

I think Canterbury has improved their footing. Their Twice is Nice series is great, and this weekend there were good tack stores. They have other shows as well.
    Come down to Ocala! the Florida Horse Park has excellent footing.... great atmosphere...... great shopping at the local stores...... the shows are run by Orlando dressage and they do a GREAT job... (but the stalls are tents unless you get the permanent barn, which is a nice 10 min hack away from the arenas...)

Have you considered Jacksonville? Nice indoor colliseum, really nice barns, generally a nice show.....

L

L

I've been considering Poplar and am interested in Jacksonville. I never showed in Jacksonville, so I am quite curious about it.

If I could just find a few good shows I would be happy. I need good tack stores because chances are that will be the only time I can actually try on a lot of the items.

Quote Originally Posted by lorilu View Post
    I think Canterbury has improved their footing. Their Twice is Nice series is great, and this weekend there were good tack stores. They have other shows as well.
    Come down to Ocala! the Florida Horse Park has excellent footing.... great atmosphere...... great shopping at the local stores...... the shows are run by Orlando dressage and they do a GREAT job... (but the stalls are tents unless you get the permanent barn, which is a nice 10 min hack away from the arenas...)

Have you considered Jacksonville? Nice indoor colliseum, really nice barns, generally a nice show.....

L

L
    Glad to hear Canterburry fixed their footing. I ised to show im the early 90s tgere and loved the place except for footing.

Jacksonville shows are great too the arena is great in the summer!

Saddle Up is a nice tack shop just down the street from Poplar, but my favorite is Dover in Alpharetta and Atlanta saddlery in Alpharetta.

Glad to hear Canter

Poplar Place is lovely, but some folks feel the footing is a bit deep and wears the horses out faster, esp. in hot, humid weather. And the bugs there can be awful in the summer.

GIHP in Conyers also has a good line-up of dressage shows throughout the year - including Region 3 championships in Oct. It offers plenty of stabling, decent footing, lots of parking, has a covered arena and multiple outside arenas, is close to lots of hotels, restaurants, shopping centers, etc. There isn't much on site shopping, except for a few vendors at the larger shows - although there should be plenty of vendors there in October for the regionals.

Rainsville, AL will be the site of Alabama's only recognized show this year. Sept 21, 2013. TVDCTA is the GMO involved.