The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Moving....may or may not be allowed to keep our American Bulldog

Ok, long-ish story... DH and I are moving a little closer to town to cut down on commuting/gas costs. We are on a pretty tight budget right now. We're limited to what's available because we have to have a fenced yard for the dog(s), we're trying desperately to avoid french town and 90% of what we're finding that is remotely affordable, won't allow bulldogs.

We are still looking, still keeping our fingers crossed that we will find something. But the conversation has come up that we might have to get rid of Shelby. So while this isn't a definite giveaway-yet- I want to start looking around and see if there's an interest out there, so if we do end up parting with her, I will have some leads on good homes.

She is full-blooded Am Bulldog, we saw both parents, but she is not papered (DH lost them...). She's on the smaller side, not as tall as most bulldogs. Probably around 60 lbs. She is almost 2 years old. She can be inside or outside, and she LOVES people. Would be great around kids or in an atmosphere that will give her attention. She is not destructive, but we've had a few times where she's chewed small things if she gets anxious or is left alone all day (talking from 6 am to late...10 or 11pm). Happy, friendly, good guard dog; not a mean bone in her body but she will bark and bristle up if there's a sketchy looking person walking around. Gets along with cats, and other dogs once they're introduced to her. She has not been exposed to many horses...she met ours a few times before we sold them, and while she barked and hid behind DH's legs at first, she got used to them very quickly. So as far as being a barn dog, I think she would be fine as long as she got a proper introduction Will work on getting some pictures posted.

Again, we are not definitely getting rid of her yet. But we are running out of time to find a place, and we really don't want to risk the shelter (high kill rates for bullies in our area), or craigslist, where someone just wants a bulldog to fight or run hogs with. If you have any leads/ideas for finding a good home (maybe some rescues??) it would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks for reading.

1 members found this post helpful.

No thoughts or ideas on leads for a good home for your Shelby, but my heart goes out to you and your husband right now. I can't imagine how hard this is for you!

We have our Diesel that we got for our local AC almost 2 years ago. He is the best dog that anyone could have. He is AB. He is amazingly fun! I couldn't love him more if I gave birth to him myself. He is currently asleep on my sofa, yes snoring and farting...he is very noisy and smelly, but he is whatz he iz!

We love our both. Jingling that you are able to take her with you. If we weren't so full and didn't have so much on our plate, I would offer to take her for you.

An idea is to post her on Facebook through local rescue groups, share her info along. I will help pass her info along. I wish I knew of someone looking...Diesel is amazing....he is a great ambassador for the breed.

Good Luck. Try FB. Pass her info along. Post something on your signature line. Try the menagerie forum here....Get the word out....
    Life is too short to argue with a mare! Just don't engage! It is much easier that way!

Have fun, be safe, and let the mare think it is her idea!

Pics, location, and medical status please?
    Digger, chewer, jumper?

PLEASE, for the love of God, do not use the phrase "getting rid of her" when posting, PLEASE! Nothing brings out the scammers/ne'erdowells faster than that phrase.

I hope you don't have to give her up, but if you do, please pm me.
    HRMT

Why not contact the breeder she came from? If they were remotely reputable they will take her back.

4 members found this post helpful.

Sorry, been out of town off and on, haven't been on COTH a lot!

Some pics of Shelby:
    http://s114.beta.photobucket.com/use...55732523242684

As per her breeder, he is no longer interested in keeping dogs. She was the last pup to go in his last litter. He's over 80 years old, getting out of having animals.

We are outside of Tallahassee (monticello). She's always been UTD on vaccines/wormer, on Comfortis. Kept outside but loves being a lapdog as well. She is on the smaller side, and will not grow any bigger. She snuck out of our yard (isn't fenced well enough for "smart" dogs) and got herself preggers We had no idea she had found herself a boyfriend, we came home and she was on the porch, so we assumed she stayed near the house. Well, couple months later we noticed her nipples growing, and she was putting on weight. We called our vet, but he told us that at the stage she probably was, it wouldn't be safe to her if we had them aborted. So she had 8 beautiful, healthy pups. That was late last year, they're all gone, and she's totally back to normal. She was a trooper, too. But anyways, vet said since she was young when she had them, she wouldn't grow anymore. I know, I know, she should have been spayed by then. But she was still young, she was in our yard...coulda shoulda woulda.

Like I stated before, she is not a routine chewer but has before if worried or left alone for a LONG period of time. Hasn't ever dug, to my knowledge.

As of right now, we are going to put off moving a couple more months, so HOPEFULLY we will find something that will allow bullies. Thanks so much for the responses, let me know if there are any more questions. PM if I forget to check the thread.

She is beautiful! She looks almost identical to my Diesel....spot on nub and all! If you are unable to keep her, let us know. I will be happy to help you in any way I can. She is simply gorgeous. We have our plate full for the next couple of months, but we may settle in the new place quickly.....

I love her looks! I have to ask, where did you get her?
    Life is too short to argue with a mare! Just don't engage! It is much easier that way!

Thank you!!! We luff her We got her from a guy here in town, his name is Mac Johnson. He's been breeding bullies all his life. Again, hopefully it won't ever come to this, but if all else fails, I will definitely be in touch with you. Mind PMing me your email or number or something?

What a great looking girl! I hope you can keep her!

Thanks! I will post back in a month or two when we re-evalute the moving situation

OP, a reputable breeder will take their dogs back. If you find you need to rehome her, the breeder should be your first call.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

She's lovely!

Since you've got a couple of months, get her her CGC (Canine Good Citizen)
    Details on the program are here; http://www.akc.org/dogowner/training...izen/index.cfm
    Sometimes that certificate will get your dog into a rental that wouldn't allow it otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    OP, a reputable breeder will take their dogs back. If you find you need to rehome her, the breeder should be your first call.
    She indicated the breeder is over 80 years old and getting out of animals.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

I hope it works out that you can keep your pup. A co-worker is a bulldog breeder and very involved with a breed rescue group. If you need help, I will put you in touch.

Default good news!

We found a house, no breed restrictions!!!! SOO happy! Thank you all so much for the advice and offers for help!

3 members found this post helpful.

I've been jingling for you both. We have't moved yet...it is a long wait. Our Diesel is the neatest boy on earth. I would rather live in a tent than live without him. He is just amazing. Congratulations! Thank you for updating you progress!