The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Definitely wouldn't know that far in advance, but I've also canceled lessons because of it in the past, and my extreme displeasure at missing riding was what convinced my mom that I might be easier to live with if I went on the pill. (that and they were just miserable and long)
    Another happy depo user here. Maybe give it a shot, literally.

OP, you have my sympathies.

I've always had crampy heavy-ish periods except when on the Pill, and had to go off it when I turned 30. I actually found, when I returned to riding at age 42, that riding was the BEST thing for cramps. I don't know why; it just was. Obviously YMMV.

These days, at almost-49, I can't schedule things around my period, because I never know when it's going to show up! Last year my cycles were 24 days on average, but ranged from 13 to 35 days. Welcome to perimenopause.... I'll just be happy when the show is done, but if I follow family trends, I have another 6 or 7 years to go. Bleah.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

I am very lucky with how little my period affects me. I do sometimes get a cold or something when it's time of the month but I don't really get any cramps or anything. I would never miss a show due to it (though of course, I am constantly paranoid I might be 'showing')

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Periods suck.

Mine could always be counted on to ruin a really significant event or holiday. Now that I am pre-menopausal, frequency has diminished but the fun part is I never know when they're coming - gotta be prepared all the time! (Though I can still generally expect it to kick in right at Christmas, or if I'm going on vacation or whatever fun I have scheduled. Sometimes all it takes is just wearing a brand new pretty pair of undies - evidently something in the female hormonal universe thinks undergarments look better with bloodstains. I swear I think my uterus is punishing me for never giving it a baby).
    Oh yeah, say it, sister! Along with "Hey, let's wreck these nice new undies" my main pre-menopausal complaint is how every few months the 'ole system goes on complete hiatus for six or seven weeks. The first time THAT happened I thought I was pregnant, which was not a state I care to be in at this age for MULTIPLE reasons. Utter panic. After this happened twice, I have gotten used to it and enjoy the extra mess-free days. But oh, man, was I scared... And I still get horrendous cramps from time to time as well.

I don't remember having to skip a show when I was a teenager suffering from ungodly cramps, but it may have happened. I took a lesson just last year on a day when I thought my uterus was going to turn inside out, and yeah, riding did finally help. Either that or the 8 Advils!

Never planned anything around mine, as I've been pretty lucky in the cramps department. However, mine brings with it cold sores... If I'm stressed + period I can always count on those coming up which are always super fun to deal with while also on your period. When I was a teenager though I always carried extra breeches with me just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by RiderWriter View Post
    I took a lesson just last year on a day when I thought my uterus was going to turn inside out, and yeah, riding did finally help. Either that or the 8 Advils!
    I may, or may not, occasionally warn my trainer (female) that my ovaries are revolting before I start my lesson. Thankfully, the revolt is usually called off within 5 minutes of really starting to ride...or maybe the handful of ibuprofen I took is finally kicking in. Or it could be due to both.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    could you still schedule the show, but just plan to have your trainer ride the first day for you? That way you don't have to miss the WHOLE thing when its only the first day of your period that affects you. Because yeah...that sucks to miss your fav show because of your period!
    I like this idea. I also ride like crap on day 1, but I wouldn't miss a horse show because of it but that's because I'm still functional, not stuck in bed or puking like some of you poor ladies. I got an IUD in December and its fantastic! So far I've only had 1 period and it was barely anything so eventually I'll have no period at all. So no more day 1 crap riding! Guess now I need to find another excuse for why I lean up the neck
    friend of bar.ka

I am unable to leave the house during the first few days of my period, due to Endo and Adyno. If anyone has "cramps" that prevent you from doing normal daily tasks, PLEASE see your Gyn.....it is NOT normal to hurt that much during your period. Here is a spreadsheet that I put together with some great links and info on ENdo: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Wc&usp=sharing

Why menopause rocks...

Hysterectomies rock too! Clearly a fairly permanent solution, but after nearly 10 years of pure hell waving goodbye to my uterus was a happy day.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

2 members found this post helpful.

I am fortunate that i get to show all the time, i cant imagine skipping a show for this reason, how ever having to wear white breeches while on your period is always nerve wracking...

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird! View Post
    I am unable to leave the house during the first few days of my period, due to Endo and Adyno. If anyone has "cramps" that prevent you from doing normal daily tasks, PLEASE see your Gyn.....it is NOT normal to hurt that much during your period. Here is a spreadsheet that I put together with some great links and info on ENdo: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Wc&usp=sharing
    To answer the original question, yes. In fact I have missed lots of things including watching the actual vows of one of my friend's marriages because I was on the bathroom floor waiting for pain killers to kick in. I almost got kicked out of a class in college because the horrendous, wrenching pain actually rendered (well still renders) me in the fetal position and unable to move until 800mg advil and an rx kicked in, and I would end up skipping class. The student med center wouldn't write me a note excusing me from class unless I could make it to their office, and I simply couldn't move.

To tangent and add onto the quote... If you are in pain, or if you are on BC and still in pain, go to the doctor and be your own health advocate. Fact is, very little is known about endo, and so a lot of doctors only know how to treat the pain. You have to be proactive if you want to have kids later. Just because you're treating the pain doesn't mean you're solving the actual problem.

My first day is usually really uncomfortable and I'll try to pop an Aleve or Midol before the pain kicks in (Dr recommended trying to get a head start on it). I like to ride on my period because activity kind of relaxes the cramps, but I'm usually all bent out of shape so I certainly wouldn't want to be paying to compete! Not to mention that although I rarely have leaks, I'd never be able to relax wearing beige breeches on my period!
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

All I'm saying to you young whippersnappers is -- just wait til peri-menopause. You may be surprised to find that you DO have to reschedule a few things.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

I love those who carry on with Midol and true grit. I would have LOVED it if that had been an option - maybe on day 5, 6, or 7. But before that? No way.

I had endo. After years of toughing out horrible periods on OTC meds and determination, it was a relief to find out something was really wrong, and that there were options other than "suck it up." (Not being of the kid having persuasion, and having pretty significant and aggressive endo, I opted for a hysterectomy.)

My quality of life is 1000% better than it was. If you are really in such discomfort that you can't live your life as normal, definitely see your doctor and tell them about it. There are a lot of possible solutions, and most importantly - you won't have to skip horse shows! Good luck!

So I wanted to come back on here and say I just went to a show this weekend and lo and behold, woke up the first morning to my period. Popped some Advil but oh man did I ride like crap! Just wasn't really focused. Second day was a million times better. Don't know if it was nerves but it was a funny coincidence!

Rust breeches anyone?

I would also go talk with your doctor if you haven't already. I was ALWAYS a mess for the first several days of my period (always lasted over a week). Cramping, hormones, heavy flow, exhaustion, etc. It has taken me several tries with BC, but I've now found one that minimizes all of that including my mood swings. I still have slight cramping on my period (I would just skip it entirely if I didn't have to be on a cycle pill to keep my acne reasonable), but I can now live my life.

As for the "light colored breeches" comments. I can't recommend menstrual cups enough. You can wear them for 12 hours and I've never had any leaking. I love them because it's bad to pull out a tampon that's still dry (sorry this is getting graphic) but you can put these in the day before your period or wear them for a day or two after so you don't ever end up surprised. Plus, they're so much cheaper and you don't have to worry about running out!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Fourteen Months Living and Working in Costa Rica

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    Hysterectomies rock too! Clearly a fairly permanent solution, but after nearly 10 years of pure hell waving goodbye to my uterus was a happy day.
    I second this! So true!

Quote Originally Posted by Cindyg View Post
    All I'm saying to you young whippersnappers is -- just wait til peri-menopause. You may be surprised to find that you DO have to reschedule a few things.
    Ain't that the truth. I was blessed to never even notice my period, no cramps, light flow, came like clock work then BAM. About 3 months out of the year - and I never know which 3 months that may be, I will go through a super pad and tampon about every 15-30 minutes for the first 2 days. And of course, now I never know when that first day is going to be.

One time it hit me the day before a show at the hotel. I was showing side saddle - thank God for black breeches.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.