The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    City of delusion in the state of total denial

I used to deliberately avoid classes that would fall the day before- I did not ride, period, the day before- because I learned that something in my body always just felt "off" and my balance and timing were affected. I didn't feel safe and competent. Still don't know why that was, but my body is a bit broken hormonally and was having so many issues (including debilitating pain) so my doc wholeheartedly agreed it was a good idea to go on Depo and I've been very happy. Even if that isn't the solution for you, maybe you and your doctor may be able to find a more comfortable solution.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

1 members found this post helpful.

When I start my period, I can feel really crappy. If I'm doing something that will be strenuous (riding/school/pulling an all-nighter), I indulge myself. Go eat the cheeseburger! It makes it easier to get through the day.

Also you can get some pain meds from your doctor (light ones - nothing too serious) that can really help. You don't have to suffer!

Quote Originally Posted by AmmyByNature View Post
    Are people really so regular that they know when their period will start half a year ahead of time?? The only way I could imagine being so regular would be if you were on birth control, but there are ways to skip a cycle with birth control...

When I was a teenager I could count on ONLY getting my period when I went to a horse show. Like clockwork. I was completely irregular unless I was hors showing!
    Perhaps I'm strange- last thursday of every month for the last 4 years, always starts at about 4 in the morning because I have to get up out of bed because somehow it wakes me up

For two days before my period I am completely uncoordinated and ride terribly - no timing, balance, cannot see a distance to save my life!!! On top of that, throw in pendulum-swinging emotions, I usually leave the barn choking back tears... It seems ridiculous but it has become a monthly pattern. I think hormones impact athletic performance for sure... I might consider skipping a show because of it.

3 members found this post helpful.

I don't think I would ever do that. I detest the thought of letting my period affect my life like that...even if I am in so much pain I can't stand up straight.

I will say, however, that the first day or two my legs always feel really rubbery and like I have no strength. I tend to ride pretty poorly on those days. While I wouldn't reschedule, I really would hate to be in that position.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

What. the. fuh?
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerJumper View Post
    The #1 reason I'm on BC pills. They've made my previously week-long periods into a light 3-day thing that I can skip if I change my pill schedule.
    Yes. BC Pills during show season always.
    People call themselves animal lovers, then let their dogs chase the squirrels. You're scaring the shit out of the squirrels, you schmuck!

Wow, some of you are very unsympathetic to people who have terrible menstrual pain/fatigue/all the other fun symptoms that come with it. FYI, it's easy to say "go to the doctor" if your period is affecting your normal activities, but they can't do much. I've been on some of the best prescription pain meds there are, and they barely scratch the surface of my cramps, which leave me throwing up, fainting, and generally having a bad time. I'm also on BC. When I asked my doctor if I should worry about endometriosis (hoping to start a family in the next few years), she said that the diagnosis is made via surgery, and the treatment is the same as for regular cramps- birth control pill. So, not helpful! Some of us have to take time off or skip a show- it doesn't make us weak examples of our gender, it makes the rest of you lucky you don't experience the same pain.

16 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by YEG View Post
    Wow, some of you are very unsympathetic to people who have terrible menstrual pain/fatigue/all the other fun symptoms that come with it. FYI, it's easy to say "go to the doctor" if your period is affecting your normal activities, but they can't do much. I've been on some of the best prescription pain meds there are, and they barely scratch the surface of my cramps, which leave me throwing up, fainting, and generally having a bad time. I'm also on BC. When I asked my doctor if I should worry about endometriosis (hoping to start a family in the next few years), she said that the diagnosis is made via surgery, and the treatment is the same as for regular cramps- birth control pill. So, not helpful! Some of us have to take time off or skip a show- it doesn't make us weak examples of our gender, it makes the rest of you lucky you don't experience the same pain.
    You might want to be more aggressive with your doctor, or try a new one. I had terrible, horrible, debilitating, made me lightheaded, cramps in my early '20s (I'm 50 now, so this was a long time ago). Initially, I was told similar things, but I got pretty aggressive with my gyn, because I do not think it is at all normal to be laid up for a day or two by menstruation and I don't feel we should have to tolerate it if there are any options at all.

He did eventually schedule a laparoscopy (yes, that is the ONLY way to diagnose endo for sure) and, sure enough, there it was, growing on my ovaries, my fallopian tubes and in something called the "cul de sac". He used a laser to remove as much of it as he could and then I went on, not just BCPs, but continuous BCPs (never stopping to allow a period) until I was ready to have children, to keep it from growing back. I was able to conceive fairly easily, probably because I HAD been controlling the growth of endometriosis adhesions. This treatment also stopped my menstrual cycle from being such a, literal, pain in the butt (and abdomen).

2 members found this post helpful.

When I asked my doctor if I should worry about endometriosis (hoping to start a family in the next few years), she said that the diagnosis is made via surgery, and the treatment is the same as for regular cramps- birth control pill. So, not helpful!
    In my case, this was not correct. I had laparoscopic surgery for endometriosis and it did help with the pain without having to go on BC pills. Also, endometriosis can interfere with fertility so you might need implants or scar tissue removed if you have endometriosis and are thinking of starting a family.

Though I did continue to experience some painful, though not nearly as bad as what I had pre-surgery, cramps, these got better after I had my first child and even better after the next two. So pregnancy might be an option for those with painful periods.

Quote Originally Posted by EAY View Post
    these got better after I had my first child and even better after the next two. So pregnancy might be an option for those with painful periods.
    And that won't interfere with showing AT ALL!
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

3 members found this post helpful.

Depo shot here. Mine were so irregular, heavy, and I was in so much pain. I would get migraines, terrible cramps, and vomiting. Depo shot has helped a ton with all of that, and I don't get periods at all now. I would need a box of tampons, a box of heavy pads, and a few boxes of midol to get me through one day lol. It interfered with my life in a bad way.

Thanks Canaqua and EAY. I guess I wasn't given all my options- maybe I should find a new doc or press harder for a permanent solution. I definitely worry about fertility and I know my employers don't particularly appreciate me having to take at least one sick day a month before flu and stuff..

Not trying to hijack the thread though- my basic point was that "suck it up and ride princess" is not always the appropriate response!

2 members found this post helpful.

My dad is a retired ob/gyn, and he used to clinic on a reservation. I remember when I was a junior and showing a lot, (embarrassing dad moment here) he told me the women on the reservation just didn't ride when the were on the rag, because they knew they just weren't going to ride well. I never skip a ride because of it, but if I did I would use that as vindication!

Wow, some of you are very unsympathetic to people who have terrible menstrual pain/fatigue/all the other fun symptoms that come with it. FYI, it's easy to say "go to the doctor" if your period is affecting your normal activities, but they can't do much.
    Thank you! I agree.

6 members found this post helpful.

No, but I've cancelled riding lessons because of it. I used to have horrible cramps, vomiting, missing school, etc. as a teen. Now it isn't bad, but enough to make me uncomfortable and for some reason riding makes it worse. I can say that if I catch it early, keeping Midol and some vitamins in my system works wonders.

I've realized that at this point, the anxiety you can have from the impending pain can be a lot scarier than the real thing. Now I pop something even when I get a twinge because I'm always afraid that I will backslide into my teen days.

Quote Originally Posted by myalter1 View Post
    YES. Not because it was that bad, but because I was ALWAYS uncoordinated the first day of my cycle and couldn't find the jumps to save my life. Silly, but true.
    This must be why I am reaallly good at finding 7, but the 8th eludes me.....Everyone always says I'm PMSy 24/7..........Now I have an excuse.

No, I don't avoid showing or riding or any activity due to my cycle.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Periods suck.

Mine could always be counted on to ruin a really significant event or holiday. Now that I am pre-menopausal, frequency has diminished but the fun part is I never know when they're coming - gotta be prepared all the time! (Though I can still generally expect it to kick in right at Christmas, or if I'm going on vacation or whatever fun I have scheduled. Sometimes all it takes is just wearing a brand new pretty pair of undies - evidently something in the female hormonal universe thinks undergarments look better with bloodstains. I swear I think my uterus is punishing me for never giving it a baby).

5 members found this post helpful.

could you still schedule the show, but just plan to have your trainer ride the first day for you? That way you don't have to miss the WHOLE thing when its only the first day of your period that affects you. Because yeah...that sucks to miss your fav show because of your period!

Not an issue any more- too old.

But when I was younger, if I was on the pill it was very mild, and not much of an effect.

If I was not on the pill it could d be quite painful/messy, but way too unpredictable to know in advance if it would interfere with a particular show.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).