The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Who Has Avoided a Competition that falls on the First Day of Your Period?

I have a show I always love to attend. But this year I'm going to forego it, since it will be right on Day 1 of my cycle, and I'll just be too fatigued to cope. Anyone else ever strategically avoid a show so that you won't be in a less that desirable situation?

Quote Originally Posted by grey_mare View Post
    I have a show I always love to attend. But this year I'm going to forego it, since it will be right on Day 1 of my cycle, and I'll just be too fatigued to cope. Anyone else ever strategically avoid a show so that you won't be in a less that desirable situation?
    No, I can't say that my period has ever dictated what show I attend...

23 members found this post helpful.

Nope. I enjoy showing too much and I've scaled back and do just a handful in the summer, so I'm not going to let something like my period get in the way. This might sound harsh, but grab a heating pad, pop some Advil and deal with it! Exercise helps with the cramping anyway.

4 members found this post helpful.

If your periods are so bad that they interfere with your normal activities, you should probably go talk to your ob/gyn...

26 members found this post helpful.

YES. Not because it was that bad, but because I was ALWAYS uncoordinated the first day of my cycle and couldn't find the jumps to save my life. Silly, but true.

2 members found this post helpful.

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

Um, no. I do however very fondly remember getting my period literally 15 minutes before my trip at medal finals my very first year being there. That was loads of fun.

But yeah, buy some tampons and midol and suck it up. I find that when I'm doing something active like riding, I almost don't even notice the sucky feeling that I would otherwise have had I just laid on the couch. Exercise is a good way to mitigate period pains.

5 members found this post helpful.

Yeah, can't imagine rearranging my life for my period. A little too biblical/Old Testament for my taste. I agree with Tha Ridge....if it is so bad it is interfering with life, you may need to talk to a doc about that. Mine can be bad, but not so bad that a handful of advil and handy box of tampons can't help me cope.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    A little too biblical/Old Testament for my taste.
    Doubting that has anything to do with it....

Not all flows are created equal. Sometimes it is more than a box of tampons and some midol can take care of.

24 members found this post helpful.

And now there is maybe ONE reason why I love being on the pill - never having pain like this to have to rearrange my life around my period!

Agreed with the others about seeing a doctor if it's really THAT BAD - If not, take some tylenol, get your butt in the ring and ride. Once you stop thinking about the pain, it'll go away.

1 members found this post helpful.

No. Your menstrual cycle really should not be interfering with your nomal activities. If you are really miserable, see a gyn to make sure nothing is wrong, like endometriosis or something.

If you are youngish (like under 40-45) and don't smoke, you can also use combined BC pills (estrogen and progesterone) to have some control over when your period comes. I do have endometriosis and used BC pills for years to avoid having a period at all.

If heavy flow and leaking are a problem, rock some rust breeches .

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Doubting that has anything to do with it....

Not all flows are created equal. Sometimes it is more than a box of tampons and some midol can take care of.
    It was a joke.

And, realizing that not all flows are created equal is why I suggested, as others have, that if it is so bad that it is keeping the OP from going about her life, then maybe it would be wise to discuss it with a doctor.

4 members found this post helpful.

Are people really so regular that they know when their period will start half a year ahead of time?? The only way I could imagine being so regular would be if you were on birth control, but there are ways to skip a cycle with birth control...

When I was a teenager I could count on ONLY getting my period when I went to a horse show. Like clockwork. I was completely irregular unless I was hors showing!

10 members found this post helpful.

I don't even have a period on my current BC. Heavenly!

I probably would...the first day is way too messy, painful, and my emotions on edge!

I get it!

6 members found this post helpful.

I have severe fibromyalgia and with that fatigue. So I'd LOVE it to be JUST one day LOL. Want to trade?

As a migraine sufferer whose triggers are: lack of sleep, heat, my period, and physical activity I can understand not wanting to show on the first day of your period.

I do, because I love showing and don't get to do it as regularly as I would like. But if I had the choice (and the money!) to do a different show the next weekend instead I might take it.
    Currently blogging for Chronicle of the Horse. Articles can be found here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/category...ryan-lefkowitz

I went on the pill to control my cycle because it was a pain and made me worried about my light tan and white breeches. I never let my cycle tell me when I showed or not. I drank a ton of water, took midol, and ate small healthy snacks through the day. Helped me a ton and now I don't have to worry about it. Go on the pill.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I can completely relate. Before being on the pill I had to miss school every month because I was in so much pain. Yes, I'm still uncomfortable for the first day but I don't show enough to miss a day of showing. Luckily pain and er "flow" are now controlled enough to show whenever.

On a side note, I have seen waterproof underwear somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    I don't even have a period on my current BC. Heavenly!
    Me Neither It IS heavenly

The #1 reason I'm on BC pills. They've made my previously week-long periods into a light 3-day thing that I can skip if I change my pill schedule.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.