The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Jr riders be sponsored?

Can junior riders show in the open and jr jumper classes on horses not owned by them? Also I have seen that some jr riders are sponsored by companies like gpa and cwd is that allowed? how will that affect them when they age out, will they have to turn pro?

Nothing kids do as juniors has any impact on whether they can be amateurs once they age out of the junior divisions. There is no carryover. Only actions taken after they age out make a difference as far as being an amateur or professional.

Juniors may show horses that do not belong to them in any class for which they are eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by alicewindsor View Post
    Can junior riders show in the open and jr jumper classes on horses not owned by them?
    Yes

Also I have seen that some jr riders are sponsored by companies like gpa and cwd is that allowed?
    Yes

how will that affect them when they age out, will they have to turn pro?
    Not at all. Amateur vs Pro status is ONLY affected by what you do AFTER turning 18 (show age).
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Juniors can ride horses owned by other people in any class they're eligible for. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that after you turn 18 you do have to turn pro if you still have the sponsors.
    Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerJumper View Post
    Juniors can ride horses owned by other people in any class they're eligible for. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that after you turn 18 you do have to turn pro if you still have the sponsors.
    Yes, if you have a sponsor once you are no longer a Junior, then you can not be an Amateur.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

OK, and it is correct that the person can show as a junior through their 18 year-old year? (They turn 18 during the year and they can finish out the year as a junior, age up to Ammy or Pro on Jan 1 of the following year?)

I've been asked this on several occasions and haven't really been able to respond. Mostly by parents concerned about year-end awards.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebuckets View Post
    OK, and it is correct that the person can show as a junior through their 18 year-old year? (They turn 18 during the year and they can finish out the year as a junior, age up to Ammy or Pro on Jan 1 of the following year?)

I've been asked this on several occasions and haven't really been able to respond. Mostly by parents concerned about year-end awards.
    The USEF show age is whatever age that person is as of December 1st, so someone who turns 18 on December 2nd would show as 17 that year.