The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default We're Ready for a Hunter Revolution

I saw this article by Juile Winkel and thought everybody here would like to chime in on it.

http://www.proequest.com/news/2012/1...ter-revolution

Finally a judge has put in writing what has been on the minds of many who have seen the 'dead to the world' hunter loping around the Jr/AA rings. Time to see more happy (and awake) horses in the hunter rings!

This article came out some time ago. It's a great article. You may be interested in seeing some of what has already been said about it here at CoTH:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...t=julie+winkel
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Remember the days when horses had impulsion, a snap knees, a happy and sharp look in their eyes. There were out door courses, sometimes you would even jump out of the ring. And if you dared lay on your horses neck, throwing your hands to their ears, with your lower leg a foot behind the girth you would be laughed out of the show grounds.

There were problems then but if I knew what the future held I would have been happier with what I had.

3 members found this post helpful.

I know that this is an uncommon occurance in the hunter ring but I just wanted to share. My horse is a fancy, young WB who has a ton of expression and shows himself as a challenging ride. I show him in the Children's, Modified Jrs., Schooling Hunters, The Lows and basically anything 3'. We almost never go home without a tri color. He often over jumps (esp. if we haven't schooled the fences) and has been known to either be great or else throw me in the mud. Compared to nearly every horse I've shown he is the hardest to get the distance on, has the roundest jump and is by far the most playful.
    I know there are millions of problems with today's hunter judging, but if my horse and I are any reflection in the change then it might be happening faster than many people are noticing?
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfox View Post
    Remember the days when horses had impulsion, a snap knees, a happy and sharp look in their eyes. There were out door courses, sometimes you would even jump out of the ring. And if you dared lay on your horses neck, throwing your hands to their ears, with your lower leg a foot behind the girth you would be laughed out of the show grounds.

There were problems then but if I knew what the future held I would have been happier with what I had.
    Amen!!!

I commented to my trainer a number of times this season that it seemed like horses that had some brilliance were being rewarded more by judges than in the recent past, where it seemed like only the dead quiet, slow looking horses won in the amateur hunters. It definitely applied to my own horse that I show in the adult am hunters. She's a great jumper and goes around with her ears pricked and a bright expression. She has to carry some pace to make the lines nicely (not running, but a good working canter with impulsion) and she sometimes bounces into her lead change. We won far more classes this season than in previous years on the A circuit. Our skills are definitely better, but I think some of the judges liked her way of going more too.

2 members found this post helpful.

But one thing I didn't see in the article was the mention of predetermined strides. The lack of these "assisted" so to speak in the brilliance in the ring. The riders had to ride their horses how their horses rode. Not a predetermined step so a horse say of 15.2 could be a 3'6" horse because it could do the height not the "step".
    Friend of bar .ka

1 members found this post helpful.

I just read a long article in The Plaid Horse last night on the same subject........really an interesting debate in that one. Just go watch the baby green division at HITS or WEF and assess how much people are trying to change....not many!
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

Does anyone know if we can "flag" by sending an anonymous tip for a hunter on illegal drugs? Is there protocol for show offices to ensure the horse is tested and the trainer reprimanded? What about for maintaining the anonymity of the individual giving the tip?

Quote Originally Posted by Maya01 View Post
    Does anyone know if we can "flag" by sending an anonymous tip for a hunter on illegal drugs? Is there protocol for show offices to ensure the horse is tested and the trainer reprimanded? What about for maintaining the anonymity of the individual giving the tip?
    I'm not sure, but I do think that the "whistleblower" should be afforded anonymity.
    People call themselves animal lovers, then let their dogs chase the squirrels. You're scaring the shit out of the squirrels, you schmuck!

Quote Originally Posted by Maya01 View Post
    I don't think you can as this would open up the opportunity for a lot of sabotage. It would be pretty easy to slip a testable substance to a horse you knew would be tested within a certain timeframe.
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by florida foxhunter View Post
    I just read a long article in The Plaid Horse last night on the same subject........really an interesting debate in that one. Just go watch the baby green division at HITS or WEF and assess how much people are trying to change....not many!

I doubt you remember me but I met you in Ocala - and referred you to Daybreak - but your horses are always so pleasantly forward and happy looking, a lot of folks at HITS could take some lessons from you on good training/breeding - its always nice to see your horses go!
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450