The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Blizzard:

The thread on this blizzard on the OT day got the axe with the closing of said forum, so here it is, for those affected and those that are going to be.

I would say we already have a good 6"+ of wet snow and drifts almost 4' and growing.
    The winds are around 60 m/h now, but thankfully it is not really that cold at 24F, other than the -0 chill factors.

I-40 is closed now thru the whole TX panhandle and on West to Alburquerque and will be later on to OKC, they say.
    Even TXDOT is not running any highway trucks or plows.
    It is a total white-out out there and too dangerous even for them.
    We made the national news this morning with this blizzard.

They think we may get a good 12" and some places 24".

AND ... it is going your way, E and NE, so be ready, this carries a punch where it may hit, right now all the way to KS and on from there.

Horses were fine, snug under their shed, although looking at their wet coats, they have been in and out and having fun.
    Some drifts in their pens are a good 4' , but there are also clear spots where the wind blows it all away.

Their water tank had 6" of very wet snow to shovel out of there, but they had water all night if they wanted it, it didn't freeze.
    They were feeling very good this morning and were a bit wild, waiting for their breakfast.

Farrier is supposed to come by tomorrow. I doubt he will.

What a way to get very needed moisture, but no one is complaining.

1 members found this post helpful.

So far nothing here. Sun is shining, and we got just a trace of rain early this morning. TV says just wait though. Winds are supposed to pick up this afternoon, but still just a slight chance of precip. I don't want what you have, but we certainly could use the rain
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Just overcast here (eastern Kansas) so far. Yesterday it was 40 degrees and sunny, so we got rid of a leetle bit of the 14" or so on the ground.

Weather forecast says the next show will start off with a wintry mix ~8 p.m. tonight. Then around midnight turn to snow and it will come down hard for the next 6 hours. Off and on snow after that through Wednesday afternoon.

Horses and cattle all weathered the last storm OK, including those silly cows who decided to calve.

What was Punxsatawny Phil's prediction again?

No exciting precipitation around here -- the sun is shining, sky is clear -- but heaven help us, we have your gusts of wind! All bets are off at the barn today. You can barely stand outside without your eyes stinging and watering as sand and grit beans you.

Come to San Antonio, where we offer Free Microdermabrasion!!
    "And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"

This snow is fatiguing. I admire the folks way up north who deal with nonsense all winter. Like MP, I'm in eastern KS and the 12" from last week is still sitting here in piles. The melt off from yesterday created a sheet of ice in front of my barn and I just now got my truck unstuck. Grrrrr. So once the storm hits we'll hunker down, wait it out then fire up the tractor and dig out. The horses are outside right now but I'll lock them in later today to keep them dry during the worst of the storm.

Hey MP and SLW...where in Eastern Kansas? I grew up in Southeast Kansas, and now live in OK.

It's pouring rain here, and hovering around 37. Heaven help us if this stuff freezes over tonight...it's going to be very slick in the morning. We need the moisture in a bad way, so I'm not complaining, and I would really like to have a snow day tomorrow to catch up on things around the house.
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

Quote Originally Posted by Blkarab View Post
    Hey MP and SLW...where in Eastern Kansas? I grew up in Southeast Kansas, and now live in OK.

It's pouring rain here, and hovering around 37. Heaven help us if this stuff freezes over tonight...it's going to be very slick in the morning. We need the moisture in a bad way, so I'm not complaining, and I would really like to have a snow day tomorrow to catch up on things around the house.
    I'm in Oklahoma too - NE corner. It is POURING and blowing here, temp 34ish, but hateful!! Horses are all snug and tucked in somewhere - sheds or stalls, but the dogs were not happy when I took them out at noon. The short haired Boxer said he didn't have to "go" that badly!!! Now all of them are hugging the wood stove!! I've got three soaked coats hanging there, too! I think it's going to get pretty bad when the temp drops later today/tonight. Good news is I don't need to leave home for anything!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Texas Storm Chasers had been posting updates on FB from your area, Bluey, and I was hoping you guys were all safe and warm inside. Hope you guys aren't having the insane winds that we are so that some of that snow eventually melts and gives you guys a little moisture! (If we had snow here, it would be blown to Mexico.. the winds!)
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Was wondering about you bluey, stay safe.

Stay safe, too, Bluey! What a way to get your much need moisture! Some
    heavy rain about 6am, now a mix of clouds and sun. Wind wasn't much this morning, now have picked up.

Getting a kick out of the radio news about the gusty winds and trying to land
    airplanes. Hadn't heard that one before.....like it's the first time the airlines have had to deal with windy conditions.

Stay safe guys! We had it here in Colorado yesterday. It was impressive! There was lots and lots of blowing snow, even the main roads were pretty inaccessible.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I just got off the tractor from plowing our 14" of nice wet snow. We had the horizontal winds yesterday, but horses were suprisingly snug in the run in and my indoor round pen for the no-blanket horses. This is my very first year of letting my horses grow a total winter coat, and I still cannot resist some sort of storm turnout cover. I had to plow out one corral so we can get the manure cart to the pile this week. So now I will have to throw some bedding on the plowed snow surface so it does not become slick ice.

I am so thankful this snow was wet for the hayfield down the road.

(Since Texans are reading this thread, anyone going to the AQHA Convention in Houston? I am going - to clap for my friend who's homebred mare has won the first ever Honor Roll Ranch Horse Pleasure award.)
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

I'm in Miami County...where big wet flakes of snow started falling about 15 minutes ago.

Stocked up here, filled the gas tank, as we're supposed to get hit again tomorrow. I'm hoping, really, this time it's snow again, not "wintery mix" because ice-caked roads and power lines suck. I don't have to go out, so it should be okay. Last Friday we took the northern edge of the big storm and it was a combination of heavy pack snow and ice. Lots of slide-offs and rollover accidents. :S

OTOH I realize the more snow melt we get, the better for the lakes, rivers, and aquifers, and after last summer I just should just be glad for water.

Bluey is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

All roads still closed, the National Guard was called to help get the few dummies that tried to drive in this and now are calling for help, to try to find them and get them somewhere safe.

Winds were clocked at 77 m/h, which is hurricane strength, they say.
    No wonder I was having trouble standing up in that, plus getting beached in the 4' snow drifts.

Horses are doing airs above the ground out there, for what I can see.
    They are on the South side of the barn, not getting the direct blow on them.

Satellite internet service keeps going out, electricity still ok here, some are out.

For those that get the big winds, be careful, they really mean business.

Quote Originally Posted by mp View Post
    What was Punxsatawny Phil's prediction again?
    Right now he's enjoying clear skies and 43 degree temps.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

I'm on the western edge of the metro Kansas City area.

Started snowing big wet flakes about 90 minutes ago ... just as I was going out to give meds to my horse and check on the new calves.

I shake my fist at you, Punxsatawny Phil.

Stay safe, all. We are with you in spirit.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

What was Punxsatawny Phil's prediction again? (Quote)
    I heard that an Oklahoman shot the varmint!! Lying little fellow!!

We got a lot of hard rain (we need that), but temps are dropping and the wind is rising!! I HATE wind!! Foul weather makes life difficult for horse caring!!!
    Spring in 2.5 weeks?????
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Hi!
    I'm just east of the very center of Kansas. We got 16 inches of snow last Thursday. Got hardly any snow at all last year.

We had a light dusting of snow last night. Light rain and ice on the way home from work today (4 pm).

We had quite a bit of thunder a few minutes ago, and the north wind has really picked up.

We are supposed to get 5 or so inches of snow tonight. As it was just above freezing all day, I'm more worried about ice than anything else.

The boys have mostly been hanging out in their (3 1/2 sided) "barn" snug in their turnout blankets.

We have heavy clay soil that takes forever to drain, so my big worry is always thrush. I pick hooves every day and dust with No Thrush, but it's a constantly moving target.

I'm really happy that I bought a stock tank de-icer. Best $30 I ever spent. I need to get one of those plug-in hoses next.

Please be careful in the snow and ice.

Best wishes to you all.

Regards,
    Amber