The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default County Pro-Fit - WHAT is it??

I'm in the market for a new (used!) saddle that works better for jumping than the Smith Worthington Avalon AP saddle I currently have (which I do love, but I can't get my stirrups short enough without going over the flaps, and I find the seat a little deep for jumping), and the County Pro-Fit caught my eye - probably because it looks a lot like my saddle, but with more fwd flaps.

However, I have a quick question - are there different models of it? One of the places I found has 2 used listed, one marked "AP" and one marked "Jumping" - the pics are from different angles so I can't, alas, tell if they really are different or not. Is this just maybe how the previous owners described them, or are there really different models within the Pro-Fit line. Since they're no longer made I can't just pop on the County website and look And before I emailed them, I figured someone here is bound to know!

(side question - can anyone say how they run, tree wise? #3 seems to be Medium, but it is a true Medium or do they run narrow or wide?)

Thanks!

Scubed had one that I traded her for and then subsequently sold. It is more "jump" than "AP", I would say.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Scubed had one that I traded her for and then subsequently sold. It is more "jump" than "AP", I would say.
    Thank you! That explains why the flaps seem more fwd than my AP! That's very helpful - thank you! I think it's def going on my list of top contenders.

The Pro-Fit was very similar to the Stabilizer, but had a slightly deeper seat. The saddle is considered more of an equitation-over-fences saddle than a real "jump" saddle, which would have a much more forward flap. However, I believe the Pro-Fit was available with a more forward flap set as well, which could account for the difference between the two. And here in the US, most "hunter / jumper" saddles (aka "close contact") have square cantles, while the all-purpose saddles have round cantles.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    The Pro-Fit was very similar to the Stabilizer, but had a slightly deeper seat. The saddle is considered more of an equitation-over-fences saddle than a real "jump" saddle, which would have a much more forward flap. However, I believe the Pro-Fit was available with a more forward flap set as well, which could account for the difference between the two. And here in the US, most "hunter / jumper" saddles (aka "close contact") have square cantles, while the all-purpose saddles have round cantles.
    Thanks, Kitt!

The Pro-Fit is no longer made. That's why it's hard to tell what they are like. Think of them as a product of the late Prix Des Nations or Hunterdon era in close contact saddle world. IMO, a County's medium tree will be a tad wider than a Crosby M. The panels' shape and wool flocking made them a more horse-friendly version of those CC saddles all the way around.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Thanks, mvp!

Not to resurrect an old thread, but I wonder if anyone knows how the seat sizes run? I'm looking at one that's an 18" and I'm usually a 17-17.5" and I'm wondering if it's worth trying to get it on trial.

Ask the seller to measure (with photos if possible).
    How bothered are you by a slightly too large seat? ie what are your goals with this saddle?

FWIW my rep never liked this saddle or the Drespri, both of which were sold as "multi-purpose": it is a County that can be had for low $, but it's from the era of the old Competitors & those trees & panels were less horse friendly (I have 1 of those old Competitors that will always be around )

She did - it's definitely looking like a true 18. I'm honestly not sure how bothered I'd be by it - it seems I always end up in smaller ones, not bigger!

My main goal is to be able to shorten my stirrups and not have my knees go over the flap!

Currently doing very low jumps - like 2". I don't see myself ever going above 2'6". Don't have my own horse, so doing lots of lessons/practice rides - lessons are half flat, half crossrails, practices are all flat.

Don't know how helpful this will be since it's not the same model, but my County Conquest is a 17.5" and I ride in DH's Conquest (which is an 18") frequently, and it doesn't bother me. I actually never really notice a difference.

1 members found this post helpful.

@faybe - that IS helpful! I just wasn't sure much much that .5" would really matter.

I would agree with those who called the ProFit a slightly deeper-seated Hunter or Equitation saddle. The flap--even if "forward"--was never forward enough for me (long femur)-- same with the shallower-seated Stabilizer. I liked both for flatting, but they just didn't work for me when the stirrups came up a hole or two. If you're not so long from hip to knee and anticipate that the jumps will stay small, it might just be good for you.

FWIW, I rode in a friend's 17 Stabilizer before I bought my own 17.5 (I eventually sold it for the reasons above). I wasn't bothered by the slightly shorter seat, but wanted a little more room to shift back when my stirrups came up.

Quote Originally Posted by RolyPolyPony View Post
    She did - it's definitely looking like a true 18. I'm honestly not sure how bothered I'd be by it - it seems I always end up in smaller ones, not bigger!

My main goal is to be able to shorten my stirrups and not have my knees go over the flap!

Currently doing very low jumps - like 2". I don't see myself ever going above 2'6". Don't have my own horse, so doing lots of lessons/practice rides - lessons are half flat, half crossrails, practices are all flat.
    Well if the current owner is willing, ask for photos of the gullet channel & the panels, also side view of the saddle with string draped straight down/over the stirrup bars & another string (or whatever) marking the deepest part of the seat (this should allow you to judge whether the flap will be forward enough for your leg).
    I assume you've already seen photos of the blocks.

Run the serial number through County Head Office & they should be able to provide information on the shape of the tree & panels.
    The #3 tree would likely be slightly narrower than County's current Med tree (though this varies somewhat among models).
    County should also be able to tell you how the saddle will "feel" compared to the same saddle in a 17 or 17.5 - sometimes the move to an 18 is far more substantial than the differences between the two 17's i.e. the change is applied to the tree & seat & flaps such that you stand back & can't imagine that it's only 0.5 inches!

County Stabilizer has an open seat & relatively straight, minimal blocks flap (but can be ordered with degrees of forward & high/low etc), Conquest has a deeper seat (though built on the same tree) & more forward flap (again rather variable) & some pretty substantial blocks (again variable).

Depending on price & shipping, this saddle may/may not be worth bringing in ... depending on your balance (& the horse jumping), you may find saddle size/fit more important than anticipated - or not after all you're not intending to jump more than 2' 6" (though I bet that could change with the right coach & horse ) ... of course, sometimes the horse has his own ideas about how Biiiiiig that jump really is

alto - thank you for the helpful post!

I have an old County Pro Fit--the type with the plain flap. I'm not sure if this is helpful, but it has a 17" seat that is, to me, exactly true to size. As someone mentioned, it is something like the old Prix des Nations, but I do find it is much better fitting to the horse. Lots of clearance in the pommel, and panels that my horse finds comfortable. I would really love it except for one thing, and this may have only to do with my and my horse's conformation. For some reason, my knee does not want to make contact with the saddle. It stands a good two inches off the flap, while the rest of my leg makes normal contact. I wish I could explain this, and it's probably just me and Mo, but thought I would mention it.

Sorry, I just looked back and saw you were asking about the tree, not the seat. In my experience the tree is also true to size. My horse always takes a medium, that's what mine is, and it fits well.
    Last edited by mojo7777; Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:49 PM. Reason: correction
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

I have a 16.5 Pro-Fit w/ padded flaps for sale. It is an older saddle but in pretty much immaculate condition.

Resurrecting this thread. I just got the word from my County rep that they are going to start making the Pro fit again. This is good news to me, because I LOVED my old Pro fit and sorely wished I hadn't sold it. BUT, the new Pro fits will be available with the newer options like the wither gusset. She's going to send me pix of one they are expecting (a demo) and send them to me.

Quote Originally Posted by malarkey View Post
    She's going to send me pix of one they are expecting (a demo) and send them to me.

Would love to see them as well

Hey, cool!! I'm actually still saddle-searching - things got derailed by house-hunting.