The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "Rattle" Noise Briefly when I Turned on Light Switch - Electricity Folks?

I just got up and went to the bathroom. When I turned on the bathroom light switch, there was a "rattle" noise from the light switch panel that lasted maybe 1-2 seconds, slightly fading down in pitch over that 1-2 seconds like a toy winding down, and then stopped. The light did come on and was steady. One of the cats jumped up and started nosing around the light switch, not sure if she was just reacting to the initial noise or if she kept hearing something, but she attributed it straight to the light switch, too. Throughout the minute I was in there, that cat and another cat who joined her were both very interested in that light switch, though I could not hear anything after the first second or two. I turned the light off. Both cats promptly lost interest in the light switch. I have sniffed it thoroughly and felt the wall on both sides, including after a 5-minute delay. I cannot smell, hear, or feel anything now. Cats have not returned to the light switch.

????? Do light switches go bad? Has this ever happened to anybody else? Any other suggestions/diagnoses? Do you think I need an electrician? I know COTH doesn't count as a professional, but based on cat behavior now - lost interest the very second I turned the switch off - I'm at least giving it a few hours for observation instead of calling an electrician at 4:00 a.m.

Switches do go bad. Whenever you get an odd noise from a switch you should inspect the switch and probably replace it.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

Quote Originally Posted by dressagetraks View Post

????? Do light switches go bad? .

every prison I worked on had light switches everywhere, so I guess there are some that are destine for the lockup

when was your home built? Between about 1970 to 1976? ...could have aluminum wiring .....if not sure.... look at the date stamped into the toilet tank top...just lift it up and a date code should be clearly visible on the underside of the top