The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Exclamation NoVA Horse Country Alert!

This concerns those of you living out in NoVA horse and hound country such as Warrenton, The Plains, Middleburg, Culpeper, etc. Two elderly people were found murdered in their home in The Plains today and the person of interest, John Wesley Jeffries, is now on the loose in horse country. He may be going through the outlying areas on his way back to Fredericksburg or moving away from The Plains to other rural towns either hitch-hiking or in a stolen vehicle since a vehicle associated with him was found abandoned not far from the murder scene. He is a convicted felon with prior sexual and violent crimes on his record and should be considered armed and dangerous, so do not approach him or allow him to approach you if you recognize him. Do not open your doors to anyone tonight and do not leave them unlocked if you live out in any of the areas near The Plains. Also secure your vehicles and any belongings in those vehicles as he may steal any money or other useful things if he can. If you go out at night to feed or check the horses, do so with someone else if possible and preferably armed if you can be.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

4 members found this post helpful.

Back in the late '90s a woman was murdered in her home outside of Middleburg. She was my student's grandmother. As far as I know, they never solved the case. It sounds scarily similar.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

1 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

The scary thing is that guys like this are all over the rural farm communities doing the work. Never know who or what you might run into.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh, no! How awful. Those poor innocent people.

Jeeze that really pisses me off. No one should have to die with violence especially helpless elderly folks and/or kids, who don't have a chance at fighting off an attacker..

Be safe out there. Sometimes I want to quit the human race.
    I know that most people are good, but the bad ones try my faith in human kind..they really do.

3 members found this post helpful.

Let's keep this thread "bumped" up.

This is extremely scary
    We live such a comfy life out here. Shame our legal system for letting creeps like this out to be free.

I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

So sad for two people to die like that, and in such a wonderful place as The Plains. Their family and friends must be devastated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

How is it that this guy is NOT in jail
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Bumping. This is terrifying. I remember there was a similar case in a similarly unlikely area outside C'ville and it turned out to be all in the family. Still extremely sad, but hopefully that is the case here because random shootings are way more scary. People, please be careful!!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Ugh. Far too close for comfort to us. We're more or less in the 'flight path' from the Plains to Fredburg and about 10 mins from the Stafford line. I'm mainly concerned about him taking over a house somewhere a la the ex-cop from California a week or so ago. We'll be making a special effort to check on neighbors who are alone.

I would also recommend doing some prudent self-safety things ... like locking doors behind you when you come into the house, closing drapes so no one can see how many people are in the house / where they are in the house, keeping your cell phone on your person / close by so you can call for help if needed, being aware / alert to any changes in the immediate area (doors open that were closed, stuff moved that you didn't move, etc). Little things like this can be enough to derail an attack or speed help getting to you.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

4 members found this post helpful.

What a POS waste of oxygen!

The only thing that makes me feel better is that all of us in my area are armed!

I feel so bad for that couple. No one should end life like that.

Godspeed.

Quote Originally Posted by ShotenStar View Post
    I would also recommend doing some prudent self-safety things ... like locking doors behind you when you come into the house, closing drapes so no one can see how many people are in the house / where they are in the house, keeping your cell phone on your person / close by so you can call for help if needed, being aware / alert to any changes in the immediate area (doors open that were closed, stuff moved that you didn't move, etc). Little things like this can be enough to derail an attack or speed help getting to you.

*star*
    All good suggestions. Also, as I was remarking to someone earlier this morning, this is Virginia, land of the Concealed Carry Permit. Bet a lot of folks will be carrying this week. Hope they get this jerk soon.

I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaricYawp View Post
    All good suggestions. Also, as I was remarking to someone earlier this morning, this is Virginia, land of the Concealed Carry Permit. Bet a lot of folks will be carrying this week. Hope they get this jerk soon.
    THIS
    There's coffee in that nebula.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Well, according to the story accompanying the OP's photo link & the link above, the guy is apparently back in the Fredericksburg area. Looks like he left his car near the site of the homicide in The Plains, stole the victims' car, & drove back down to Fredericksburg where he started from.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

This is such a sad story. My dad used to live on that road and DD's old babysitter still does.
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

An excellent reminder for ALL of us to practice safety and security for ourselves and our property. Always be alert and listen to your sixth sense. Even though we live in the country it is still an area where good can meet evil so please stay safe, make your safety and security plans, and execute those plans as necessary.

I forgot how nice my 380 Smith and Wesson fits my hip not too big, not too small. . . just right.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."