The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Crossfit - anyone tried it?

I tried a "Intro" Crossfit class on saturday and found it to be incredibly intense, but liked the way it kept my interest up.

Has anyone else tried it? What did you think?

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Not my cup of tea and I'm a pretty fit guy and to be honest with you, I've seen a lot of women get hooked on it and go butt ugly from the muscle build-up that many of them get from CrossFit weight lifting. I'm talking She-Hulk type changes, not "I lost a few lbs and got toned!".
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

SnicklefritzG is online now Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

I'm not surprised by your comment...some of the workouts on the gym's calendar (and most other crossfit places) seem very focused on weights. I wonder if there's a way to get the circuit training benefit but not get big.

I don't know but it seems as if there is a one-size-fits-all approach used by many CrossFit joints around here. I have seen a few women who stay fit and lean but they are the minority from what my eyes and ears have found.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Lex have you actually been into a CF gym or have you just seen pics of the women who participate in the Games? How bulky you get does depend a lot on your natural build and genetics. A lot of the women drawn to CF are athletes/ex athletes (like gymnasts) So yes, they are more muscled than your average stair stepper-aerobics class-5lb free weight lifting gym goer

So please don't worry about getting bulky. The average person at my gym just looks fit and healthy. CF is a great workout, never boring, and has done a ton for my fitness and well being. We lift heavy (olympic lifts and lifts like squats, deadlift, press, etc) so that you actually build some muscle that will burn fat and get you to drop sizes/lean out. We do HIIT so you could go run a 5k without actually doing much running on a day to day basis. And yes, some gyms are not thoughtful with their programming and just choose the workout that gets posted on the main CF site. But if you can find a good one, the workouts end up being pretty well tuned to the existing clientele with owners who really care about your progress and fitness goals.

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    Lex have you actually been into a CF gym or have you just seen pics of the women who participate in the Games? How bulky you get does depend a lot on your natural build and genetics. A lot of the women drawn to CF are athletes/ex athletes (like gymnasts) So yes, they are more muscled than your average stair stepper-aerobics class-5lb free weight lifting gym goer
    I have been to a few local ones in the NoVA area and they ALL focus on strength training with weights. If you go into the places, you'll see almost nothing but weights. The closest one, which is ten minutes from my door in Springfield is one such place. Many of the women I've seen doing CrossFit locally are not former athletes and are every-day women - many who were overweight or skinny unfit girls to begin with - who jumped on the CrossFit bandwagon to develop strength and I've also seen and talked with quite a few local CrossFit junkies on OKCupid who bulked up in not so pleasant looking ways and continue to get bigger because they do nothing but slog weights around all the time. All the really nice looking athletic girls I've seen in the DC area stay away from CrossFit and use other fitness programs like the Les Mills stuff or they just do their own fitness plan with a trainer.

SnicklefritzG is online now Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

@KateKat: Knowing that I tend to build muscle easily, if I do take more classes, I'll probably stay away from anything other than very light weights for the lifting.

What about stuff like box jumps and medicine ball "burpee" type exercses? Is that likely to build muscle from the power required to do them?

I've been doing Crossfit for two years now. You aren't going to bulk up like she-woman. Do the workouts and see what happens. You'll be surprised in a good way over what lifting decent weights will do for you.

I tend to put on muscle easily as well, and get defined muscles. I'm actually 15lbs lighter than when I started, but only after I cleaned up my diet. I stayed the exact same weight for the first 1 1/2 years but my shape changed for the better- much tighter and toned. After I finally ate Paleo for a challenge I dropped the extra weight, but am still not looking like a body-builder by any stretch of the imagination.

There is only one woman at my Crossfit who is an absolute beast, and I mean that in a good way. She is ripped, but is also a former Division 1 track star and a serious competitor who eats extremely clean. The majority of women who work out with me are very fit, but it completely depends on their physical builds on how defined their muscles look. Don't pay any attention to what Lex thinks is attractive in a female- do what feels and looks good for you. What is "bulked up in not so pleasant looking ways" to one person is extremely attractive to another.

http://www.crossfitsouthbay.com/2012/05/bulky-muscle/

1 members found this post helpful.

LEX, curious what your definition of grossly muscled is versus attractively fit? Examples? Somehow I'm guessing that these women you are turned off by actually have nice muscle definition and could probably back squat you

And yes CF is very weight centric BUT it's not a weight training program. Yes, some people may take it there but not many treat it as a platform to be an Olympic lifter as that is not the programs original intent. Also to get that muscular you need to be eating a ton and lifting very heavy often, which is not what CF is about for most of the general public that does it. I think it would be beneficial to at least stick it out for 30 days and see if you like the results. It is not a workout program for everyone though.