The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Possible New Horse! (Critiques please!)

My search for a new horse continues and I would love some opinions on this little guy! Keep in mind, I am a college student on a budget of around 5k. Let me know what you think of him!

http://www.equine.com/horses-for-sal...d-2746440.html

He's actually got a really nice jump, and looks like a fairly easy ride. For 3k (or less, as they sound very open to offers) I would say definitely try him out!

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you! I think he looks pretty nice! A bit energetic but not out of control

He looks little and forward but very cute, especially for the price. If you're good with little and forward than definitely go try him. What are you trying to do with him?

I really like him! I think he could be made into a very nice hunter (looks very "eventer" ridden in the video). Doesnt look like it would take much for him to approach the jumps in a quieter manner. Love his stride, his jump is great and his gaits are nice and smooth. I personally like the size too...but some may find it small. I would snap him up if I was looking.

Thanks! Little and forward are things that I like :P I don't like EXTREMELY hot but he seems to be responsive enough to handle. I am looking for a jumper prospect! I am not really interested in eventing with him.

I think he looks like a really nice horse. Based on the numerous descriptions in the ad I wouldn't bother looking a him if I wanted a hunter, it sounds like a bit of a round peg square hole situation. He would be super as a jumper or an eventer. He looks to be a little cheap which could be three reasons, he's not sound, they don't know what they've got, or he's really hard to ride.

I like him- he looks like a great little jumper prospect, and the ad *seems* pretty honest. He looks forward but not crazy, and she didn't seem to be struggling horribly with him- he was listening to her and waiting. Even his head popping up in front of the fences wasn't all that bad- it looks like (based on one video) with more schooling his brain could slow down. Go take a look!
    You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil

and.... if you happen upon a camel in the jumper ring he will probably be the only one that isn't afraid of it. That must be a selling point somewhere.

(It should be noted she states one reason for selling at the beginning of the ad and a different reason at the end. I don't usually even ask why people are selling because I don't expect them to tell me the truth, but when I see this kind of thing in an ad it makes me openly suspicious of everything else they say.

That said, he's very cute and I would go look at him.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    I think he looks like a really nice horse. Based on the numerous descriptions in the ad I wouldn't bother looking a him if I wanted a hunter, it sounds like a bit of a round peg square hole situation. He would be super as a jumper or an eventer. He looks to be a little cheap which could be three reasons, he's not sound, they don't know what they've got, or he's really hard to ride.
    There's a fourth reason, which is that he's small. Because of his size, he's not going to appeal to a lot of people, especially for the jumper ring. I think he's really worth looking at.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Thanks so much guys! I am no hunter either so that doesn't bother me. He is off the track and really not that old so I think he's developed pretty nicely.
    The reason they're moving and the reason she is physically unable to ride is the same- she's pregnant! I always try to be careful with low prices but I know that the market in our area for horses between 2 and 20 thousand is very bad (very cheap and very expensive are still selling as normal).
    And you are right... if any jumper show goes hard in the paint and whips out a camel, we know one little man who won't blink

There's an old ad with him listed rather higher - if he's not too far, go out & ride him & see how you like him
    I'd also be curious as to the price drop.

Also consider that he will be harder for you to sell on in a couple years, than if you picked up a 4-6yr old ...

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    There's an old ad with him listed rather higher - if he's not too far, go out & ride him & see how you like him
    I'd also be curious as to the price drop.

Also consider that he will be harder for you to sell on in a couple years, than if you picked up a 4-6yr old ...
    Price drop is probably because she hasn't ridden in awhile, is pregnant (kid=expensive), and they are moving (which also = expensive). Definitely have him vetted like any horse but I wouldn't read too much into price drop based on how open she is in the ad.

I really like him - he doesn't scream hunter but looks like a great jumper prospect! You should be glad I'm not looking otherwise you'd have competition, he's really near my parents.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Cutie! He looked pretty forgiving, taking a long spot here, a deep spot there with no complaints. I also think with a different ride he could calm down a bit.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

i'll be happy to enable my junior jumper was(is) 15.1, so don't knock his size. I'm taking him out of his semi-retirement to show him in a mini prix at the beginning of May. Something that was on our bucket list but when I turned pro never got to do.

Go look!

I really like him. I found his ad awhile ago when I was looking for a project and was considering him until I had to put off buying another horse.

What's not to like??